Which Ram of these 2 would be better on the striker extreme.

deathsytheII

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Both are Corsair Dominator:

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) with 5-5-5-15 timing or

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with 4-4-4-12

Thanks to bad timing (when ordering), I've got both pairs coming to me and their pricing is close enough to me that either one is fine so I just need to know which would be faster.

They will be paired with an e6700 c2d and the asus striker extreme mobo. It doesn't matter to me how minuscule the performance benefit is I just want the faster pair regardless of value for price. If it's always true that you get what you pay for then I would guess the ddr2-1066 would be better, but it has looser timings. I'm no oc expert yet, but I do plan on learning a lot and eventually pushing all the equipment as far as it can go.

Can anyone help, which do I keep?

G

I think the Dominator is the best, flashy heatsink /me likes
And you can probably run it at the same rated speed of the corsair, but maybe not vice versa. Oh wait I though the Dominator was still 4-4-4-12.

Still vote for the dominator, fancy heatspreader bling bling

deathsytheII

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
I apologize, I didn't realize that when I copy and pasted the description that one didn't say dominator. They are both dominator and therefore look identical, but the difference is in timing/frequency. That's the reason I'm having trouble deciding. I'm not experienced enough to know which will be faster and/or more oc'able. Can you help now?