DVD headphone jack has gone dead

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have just upgraded a Win98SE PC to XP-Pro. The headphone jack on the DVD
drive has now gone dead (it worked before). Any idea how this could happen?
How do I fix it?

Thanks.

peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

You check you sound settings under control panel/sounds&audio devices
peter
"Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
>I have just upgraded a Win98SE PC to XP-Pro. The headphone jack on the DVD
> drive has now gone dead (it worked before). Any idea how this could happen?
> How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I think that Peter is probably correct.

But I would like to add a bit of algorithmic logic. There are two
possibilities:

1. What Peter said.

2. Some el-bizarro thing happened to your DVD drive that actually caused
damage.

Check your device manager. Then check control panel -> sounds and see if
anything is amiss. You might even try plugging in a pair of speakers to the
jack in the rare event that your headphone's simply died. But seriously, I
think Peter's response has the highest probability of success for you.

--

Peace & happy computing,

Mike Labosh, MSCD

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

It has nothing to do with Windows, or any other operating system. Take the
drive in for repair as the jack or the drive electronics (maybe head phones
also) are defective.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

If you knew half as much as you think you know,
You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!

"Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
>I have just upgraded a Win98SE PC to XP-Pro. The headphone jack on the DVD
> drive has now gone dead (it worked before). Any idea how this could
> happen?
> How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Don't agree with Peter as he is wrong.

If you took the drive out of the computer and connected it up to a 12 VDC
power supply in your basement the sound would still be available if you
inserted an audio CD and plugged in a set of head phones.

You don't need a computer to obtain this! It has NOTHING to do with Windows
at all! It has to do with the drive itself!

--

"Margaret E Labosh" <plabosh_at_voicenet.com> wrote in message
>I think that Peter is probably correct.
>
> But I would like to add a bit of algorithmic logic. There are two
> possibilities:
>
> 1. What Peter said.
>
> 2. Some el-bizarro thing happened to your DVD drive that actually caused
> damage.
>
> Check your device manager. Then check control panel -> sounds and see if
> anything is amiss. You might even try plugging in a pair of speakers to
> the jack in the rare event that your headphone's simply died. But
> seriously, I think Peter's response has the highest probability of success
> for you.
>
> --
>

> Peace & happy computing,
>
> Mike Labosh, MSCD

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

"Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
>I have just upgraded a Win98SE PC to XP-Pro. The headphone jack on the DVD
> drive has now gone dead (it worked before). Any idea how this could
> happen?
> How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks.

Check the drive properties in Device Manager. If you have selected enable
digital audio, the audio output will be via the data cable. Drive analog
audio output to your sound card and to the drive head phone jack will be
disabled.

Don

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Sorry Richard - wrong. (Don MI has the right solution).

r.

> Don't agree with Peter as he is wrong.
>
> If you took the drive out of the computer and connected it up to a 12 VDC
> power supply in your basement the sound would still be available if you
> inserted an audio CD and plugged in a set of head phones.
>
> You don't need a computer to obtain this! It has NOTHING to do with
> Windows at all! It has to do with the drive itself!
>
> --
>
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>
> If you knew half as much as you think you know,
> You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!
>

> "Margaret E Labosh" <plabosh_at_voicenet.com> wrote in message
>>I think that Peter is probably correct.
>>
>> But I would like to add a bit of algorithmic logic. There are two
>> possibilities:
>>
>> 1. What Peter said.
>>
>> 2. Some el-bizarro thing happened to your DVD drive that actually caused
>> damage.
>>
>> Check your device manager. Then check control panel -> sounds and see if
>> anything is amiss. You might even try plugging in a pair of speakers to
>> the jack in the rare event that your headphone's simply died. But
>> seriously, I think Peter's response has the highest probability of
>> success for you.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Peace & happy computing,
>>
>> Mike Labosh, MSCD

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

While CD drives decode audio information in the drive electronics I
don't believe that normally takes place when a movie/TV program DVD is
played back (In a DVD drive of course). Most late model computers
acomplish that with software. The DVD drives do appear to have
provisions for decripting the regional based digital encodeing to the
standard "in the clear" digital the software requires. Some early DVD
drives came with their own seperate expansion board to convert the media
to analog.

Richard Urban wrote:

> Don't agree with Peter as he is wrong.
>
> If you took the drive out of the computer and connected it up to a 12 VDC
> power supply in your basement the sound would still be available if you
> inserted an audio CD and plugged in a set of head phones.
>
> You don't need a computer to obtain this! It has NOTHING to do with Windows
> at all! It has to do with the drive itself!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Andrew,
Check the DVD drive's and your sound card's manufactures website, there maybe a firmware upgrade that you need since you upgraded to WinXP from Win98.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>