Monitor Has To Be 21 FEET From PC. Now What?

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This is for an upcoming trade show and believe me, I've tried everything possible to get the PC closer to the monitor and there is no way. Also, I have to use a specific monitor and every option imaginable, including screwing the mobo right to the back of the monitor is nogo. The PC has to be here. The monitor has to be 21 feet away. That's it.

Now I know I could have a 21 foot long VGA cable custom-built, but what are the chances that it would work at all? Are there any other options on the market, like a wired or wireless video transmitter, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Thanks for the link! I appreciate it! The monitor is just an old big CRT.

I have heard horror stories about long VGA cables creating all sorts of problems and requiring an amplifier. I have never seen a VGA amp. Is there any truth to this or should the 25' cable listed in the link work ok?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

I have heard horror stories about long VGA cables creating all sorts of problems and requiring an amplifier. I have never seen a VGA amp. Is there any truth to this or should the 25' cable listed in the link work ok?

There are all sorts of VGA amps/Distribution amps.

At work, for convention setups, we use up to 200-foot VGA runs without boosting with no problems at all. You do begin to get a slight bit of smearing which is still not significant on the big 9 by 12 foot screens we're using (from a projector.) Long VGA runs are something that's needed all the time. Yes there are newer methods using ethernet and serial data transmission, but for only 21 feet that is not necessary at all!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

Yes, that called signal fade or something like that. With older graphics card/video card the input/output signal or transmission becomes less or fades the longer the cable. As a result images are having ghosting and lower quality. But now with better graphics/video card it's not really much of a problem, but depending on the graphics card you are using. With todays graphics card 21' in no sweat and you won't see any performance loss.

http://www.become.com/shop?pid=207035049&q=belkin+monitor+extension+cable&utm_campaign=become&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_term=belkin+monitor+extension+cable

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=970665&store=ecost&source=EWBOVERPI&adcampaign=email,EWBOVERPI