Device Manager sees second non raid SATA explorer doesn't..

gymguy9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I put my barebones XPC together, but it's been a while. I added a Samsung 2504c SATA HDD connecting it as the slave to a Raptor that has Windows XP on it. I noticed in the bios under "On Chip Serial ATA", the mode was set to enhanced and in that state, my cd showed as IDE Channel 1 Master and the hd's showed as Channel 2 master & slave. I booted up windows and checked explorer so I could format the new drive and it didn't show in Explorer. I went back to the bios and reset "On Chip Serial ATA" to "SATA only" and booted up and the cd had disappeared. So I thought maybe there was a conflict with the cd and disconnected it to eliminate the variable. Went back to Windows and still didn't see the new hd until I looked in Device Manager and there it was and under properties it showed the device working properly. I then added a jumper the hd to change it from 3 G to 1.5 transfer as the instructions said some older controllers weren't compatible with the new speed. That didn't help. I'm at a loss.

Any ideas? :?:

gymguy9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
Thanks for the reply...I went to Seagate's website which refreshed my memory. Got the drive formatted and partitioned and we're up and running.

Thanks again.