Some insight into the new G80s coming next year?

LOL!

Nah, you know that wouldn't make ATi panick, what would make ATi or anyone panick would be seeing G90-xxx appear there. :twisted:

physco827, yes it will be interesting to see how those numbers get divided. I suspect a few mid range, 1 entry level and maybe a high end refresh. Likely we'll see them by Jan-Feb IMO.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Hmm... Perhaps it might be that affordable DX10 cards may be closer than I thought. This could be a good thing. ATi/AMD, though, probably isn't feeling all too frightened; they're still set on R600, and if it's anything like what the rumors would have us believe... G80's in for a whuppin'. Plus, of course, they're getting poised to recieve massive royalties from this holiday's shipment of Wii consoles, as well as new Xbox 360s...

At any rate, I'd just take a stab and guess that we might have a GeForce 8200, a GeForce 8600GT, a GeForce 8800GT, and possibly a refresh of the 8800GTX. Possibly also anotehr might be a mobile version of a chip.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I expect... GF8200, GF8600 and then a GF8600GT which will still be mid-range but a little better then the regualar GF8600 and something like a GF8900 ULTRA or something like that for those who can spend like $600 + on video cards.

Hmm... Perhaps it might be that affordable DX10 cards may be closer than I thought. This could be a good thing. ATi/AMD, though, probably isn't feeling all too frightened; they're still set on R600, and if it's anything like what the rumors would have us believe... G80's in for a whuppin'.

Add to that the statement that the R600 will launch as a complete line (top to bottom), then the nV middle-bottom and ATi middle-bottom will come out around the same time, and voila, value DX10 gaming, just when people need it the most (when vista launches and we can all watch the new boob-physics of the new DX10 demos :twisted: )

Plus, of course, they're getting poised to recieve massive royalties from this holiday's shipment of Wii consoles, as well as new Xbox 360s...

True hadn't really thought of that part of the deal, of course the royalties aren't as plush as nV got with the original Xbox, but they should be good, and based on volume, likely better than nV's PS3 royalties. Maybe ATi's Xmas isn't so bad after all. :lol:

At any rate, I'd just take a stab and guess that we might have a GeForce 8200, a GeForce 8600GT, a GeForce 8800GT, and possibly a refresh of the 8800GTX. Possibly also anotehr might be a mobile version of a chip.

I think that lineup makes sense, although I'd add a sub GTS card (like 8800GS/GT/GTO) instead of a mobile version (I think it'll be a different driver codename, and also a little soon yet for the mobile versions IMO, but I hope I'm wrong).

Ryan_D

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I really hope they go for a $150-250 version (8600GT if we're lucky, the *600 series have always been great deals) in the next month or two. I am waiting specifically for one of those (or something like it) for my system.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I really hope they go for a $150-250 version (8600GT if we're lucky, the *600 series have always been great deals) in the next month or two. I am waiting specifically for one of those (or something like it) for my system.

Put me down on that list ! should provide a nice upgrade from my X1300.