Game stuttering/Jerks on 1900XTX

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 15, 2006 7:39:15 AM

Hi

I know that I have posted many times on forums regarding this. Despite following most of what people said, my problem remains unsolved. I don't want any flame wars or meaningless posts, I just want to solve my problem. I hope people here help me with it.

My Rig:

AMD 64 3200 Winchester @ 2.4GHz @ 2.45V
Previously (few months back) the CPU was not oced and yet I used to get the same problem, even now I get the very same.
Asus A8N E Bios 1011 previously 1005
2 X 1GB DDR 400 Transcend using mem divider 333
Seagate SATA 160GB NCQ
Antec NeoHE 500
2 Optical drives
1 FDD
Creative Sound Blaster Live 24Bit!
Navtech local cabinet with temp display

GeCube Radeon X1900XTX

The Problem:

Stuttering/Jerkiness or choppiness in games with very good or decent FPS throughout.

Most Wanted Patch 1.3 : 12x10 4x AA 16x HQ AF MAX (CCC Default)
The trees and building appear to be jerky almost throughout the race. Sometimes the motion of the car is smooth sometimes it is jerky especially during turns. The game as a whole is playable but not great and just too too jerky overall, far from what I expect even from a mainstream card.

NFS Carbon demo 1.2 : 12x10 4x AA MAX (CCC Default), the game gives an average of 40FPS but is very very jerky which is mainly felt durning even small turns of the car. The game barely runs smooth and is not exactly even playable. Reducing the resolution doesn't do much, nor does reducing the AA.

Fear : 12x9 4x 16x HQ AF no SS
Avg: 60+
Min: 28
32% btw 25 and 40

Prey patched : Runs like crap at 12x10 with or without AA, FPS are mostly 60(locked).

Hitman Blood Money demo : OKish at 12x10 no AA Hard Shadows but with Soft Shadows it becomes unplayable, even with the former it is not great and at best playable, a 6600GT could do better than this with Hitman Contracts at 10x7!

Serious Sam 2 demo : Runs choppy at 10x7 and 12x10 with or without AA.

NFS Underground 2 : Doesn't run fine with 6x AAA. 12x10

GRAW demo : AT 12x10 runs at best playable, isn't very smooth and not great at all. no AA

San Andreas : Jerky every now and then with huge jerks while walking while looking on the ground. 12x10 6x AA

Fear Expraction Point demo : Always locks for 2-5 secs infront of the first and second doors. While fights it isn't smooth at all. 12x10 no AA no SS

AOE 3 demo : Lags while moving the mouse cursor, unplayable.

Company of Heroes demo : Lags while moving the mouse cursor, unplayable.

HL2 : Runs fine.

Unreal Tournament 2004 : Runs fine at 12x10 6x AA but with 6x AAA it loses its smoothness and jerks now and then.

Conclusion:

From what I notice that games which are relatively old run fine without AAA but as games get newer they tend to run crap and sometimes to the extent of unplayable.

What I have tried :

Reformatting Windows.
Installing new drivers, CAT 6.9 right now, newer nforce drivers as well, I think I tried with and without IDE drivers as well.
Flashed BIOS
Tried different RAM, helped very little, nothing much.
Tried with the cabinet open and using 2 X 80MM fans just infront of the GPU to blow air towards it, it helps a little but not enough to make my games run decent enough.
Changed the HDD
Tried without the Sound Blaster

3D Mark scores are ok, 06 : 4800+, 05 : 10000+
Even 3d Mark runs choppy BTW.

Temps:
CPU: Not more than 50-55 under full load
MB: 48 idle
GPU: Tried increasing GPU fans speeds of stock cooler, full load at 61-64C, generall less than 80C in winters

Please help me out, I am having these problems since the time of upgradation that is a several months. Please tell me whether any of you has ever faced or seen such a problem and how did you solve it. What could the solution, what do I do?

I will try to post in game videos if they can show jerkiness in some games, please tell me how to take in game videos.

More about : game stuttering jerks 1900xtx

November 15, 2006 8:44:22 AM

I checked Everest, temps are not that high. They are fine. Besides, most people have their CPU under load at around 50C or more, so that shouldn't cause the trouble, I have a TT BT.

The card remains cool, I increased fan speed so that full load was 61-64C which is a very very good temp for a 1900XTX.
Besides, sub 80C full load is pretty good for a 1900XTX.

Initially the PC was at stock, so HT below 1000 and mem at 400/333 have nothing to do with it, as at stock these things don't apply.

Anything else which you feel could be the problem?

HAS ANYBODY HERE EVER WITNESSED ANYTHING SIMILAR PREVIOUSLY IN THEIR LIFE?
November 15, 2006 9:43:57 AM

i dunno... it could be that your X1900XTX doesnt have the 6 pin PCIe power cable connected... you didnt mention anything about being unstable, but not having it connected will result in reduced performance... i didnt read above that you said it was connected at all (unless i missed that part)... ...you could also try a seperate 16x PCIe slot, if you have another one.
Related resources
November 15, 2006 9:52:55 AM

the power connector is connected. I can try a 4x slot PCIe but I don't have another 16x.
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2006 10:06:00 AM

are you ocing the gpu?If you are that may be it as my 1900xt512mb stutters at high oc and runs hot as well,but havnt tried it with games,only in 3dmark
November 15, 2006 10:13:38 AM

i am not ocing the GPU.
November 15, 2006 10:13:47 AM

i found this at http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=4655... relating to PSU issues... it might not be your PSU, but your symptoms are indicative as a possibility, particularly the overheating GPU, even with ideal cooling:

"PSU's no matter what brand, when they're running at their max, the amount of heat generated usually causes a significant drop in perormance. It's just that right off the bat, most cheap PSU's are already in a bad position where once the temps go above 55 C the performance can sometimes be halved.

I'm no authority on this, but even with the best brands of power supplies, once they are pushed to the max, after running for an hour, maybe even as little as half an hour, the performance can degrade 20%-30% as the heat accumulates.
I've seen PSU's go bust after installing a power hungry part, even though they worked for months before they did so.

So what you have when you use a power supply that has no overhead, like the 1900xt with 350w PSU, it may work initially, but every time you play a game or something that utilizes the gfx card, it'll incur more wear on the PSU than if it was working below it's limits."
November 15, 2006 10:24:53 AM

my neohe 500 is far far too powerful for that. In fact, my probs start the minute my game is turned on, not after 15min.
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2006 10:30:00 AM

Thats when a gpu uses its power.And the cpu is mostly maxxed too.Whats the total amps on your 12 volt rails?
November 15, 2006 10:31:10 AM

...he has 17amps on each of the 3 12v rails...
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2006 10:39:29 AM

Im thinking the vram may be bad then....
November 15, 2006 10:43:13 AM

another thread i just read equated the same stuttering issue with his X1900XTX directly to the drivers he was using (he had good framerates too like you)... he updated to v6.8, and the problem went away

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=e3...

different drivers are a good idea to try

edit: i know you said you updated your drivers to 6.9... older gpu drivers may fix the problem though
November 15, 2006 11:15:19 AM

another subject that hasn't been mentionned and caused my rig to be jerky was the HD performance. Even with 2GB of memory, most games do not keep all the textures in memory so my games would jerk when it had to load textures (like turning a corner in a racing games and oups there is a tree .. need to load textures...).

Solution is 1- defrag.. helps abit, 2- buy faster disk or 3- use raid-0.. Raid 0 help alot in my case
November 15, 2006 11:36:37 AM

Quote:
I checked Everest, temps are not that high. They are fine. Besides, most people have their CPU under load at around 50C or more, so that shouldn't cause the trouble, I have a TT BT.

The card remains cool, I increased fan speed so that full load was 61-64C which is a very very good temp for a 1900XTX.
Besides, sub 80C full load is pretty good for a 1900XTX.

Initially the PC was at stock, so HT below 1000 and mem at 400/333 have nothing to do with it, as at stock these things don't apply.

Anything else which you feel could be the problem?

HAS ANYBODY HERE EVER WITNESSED ANYTHING SIMILAR PREVIOUSLY IN THEIR LIFE?

If I'm not mistaken 50C is pretty toasty for a processor and 80C is also very warm for a GPU especially if that's an IDLE temperature.... My temp idle is about ~35-40C. I don't know exaclty what my GPU temp is but I'm almost sure it's not 80C ( I also have a X1900XTX)

400/333 on memory will make a difference... I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but your FSB is sitting at 333Mhz when it could be 400? Essentially running your PC3200 DDR memory at the speeds of PC2700 DDR?

I highly doubt this is a software issue (formatted, tried again, tried a KG drive)... Honestly I'd be concerned about the temperature's and your memory speeds...
November 15, 2006 12:00:37 PM

Try to defragment the HDD, before installing new a new game.

Also check to see what transfer rate is your ODD using, try to avoid PIO modes, they use lots of computing power and that tends to shutter the system (ever notice when you insert a CD/DVD in the unit that windows freezes till the drive spins up and seeks the tracks) imagine if your drive is in standby and when you turn a corner in your game the ODD suddenly spins up for a copy-protection check. Also you can exchange the cables the ODD's use.

Also i would go in BIOS setup and restore to optimized defaults. Remove all unnecessary background applications like virus scanners that do file checks on every file used by the system, instant messengers etc.

AMD CPUs don't like to work asynchronously with the system memory and certainly not while the memory is under-clocked below ddr400 like in your case to ddr333.
November 15, 2006 2:02:11 PM

I have upgraded from previous drivers including 6.8 I think.

I have tried without the sound card, so EAX on or off can't be a problem, right?

My HDD isn't slower than what the majority use. I have a Seagate 160GB SATA NCQ 7200 RPM and Raid is not necessary for smooth play.

My RAM is using Divider 333 but running at 399, anyway RAM speeds usually aren't that big issues. Those temps are under full load and most people have them and many over that.

Tried defrag, didn't under stand ODD.
November 15, 2006 3:31:41 PM

Just for the heck of it have you tried to under clock your video card just a little? This may confirm if you have a problem with the card.
November 16, 2006 8:22:33 AM

how will underclocking confirm anything?

besides, i don't want to void warranty.
November 16, 2006 10:05:03 AM

Quote:
how will underclocking confirm anything?

besides, i don't want to void warranty.

If the card is borderline bad (ram...etc) underclocking may make it more stable. I am talking about lowering the speed maybe 10 -20 mhz. It won't hurt your warranty.
November 16, 2006 10:08:22 AM

the card is stable but bad at gaming.
are you sure underclocking doesn't void warranty nor does it spoil the card?
November 17, 2006 1:00:05 AM

did you say that you installed nvidia drivers for an ATi Gfx Card?
November 17, 2006 1:42:11 AM

Quote:
I have upgraded from previous drivers including 6.8 I think.

I have tried without the sound card, so EAX on or off can't be a problem, right?

My HDD isn't slower than what the majority use. I have a Seagate 160GB SATA NCQ 7200 RPM and Raid is not necessary for smooth play.

My RAM is using Divider 333 but running at 399, anyway RAM speeds usually aren't that big issues. Those temps are under full load and most people have them and many over that.

Tried defrag, didn't under stand ODD.

Most people also dont have vary stable computers. my cpu and video card dont get NEARLY that hot under full load. i hardly ever see my cpu hit 40c maybe 45c but i never once seen it get to 50c or over. my video card has NEVER gone over 60c.

Sounds like you have a mix of problems #1 heat #2 psu sure its got enough power? #3 also have you considered that your video card is falty? i have a x1900xtx on the newest drivers i run all games including oblivion at 1920x1200 with every setting maxed and never get stuttering problems or slow down.

I dont think underclocking the video card would do nearly as much as cooling it off massivly assuming it is the video card not being faulty.

Not surprised defraging did nothing since 99.9% of the time it does nothing.

seriously though make sure power distrebution is even dont conect anything to the power cable going to your video card.

See if you can try the card in another system perhaps a freind. or see if you can try someone elses video card in your system just to make sure its either a bad card or the motherboard its self.
a c 223 U Graphics card
November 17, 2006 2:09:49 AM

The first step to fixing any computer problem is to remove any/all overclocks. Bring the CPU back down to 2.0GHz. (I'll assume you ment @1.45V, and not 2.45V...)

I'm guessing a ram issue. You have an older CPU that has known memory issues, and possible low(er) quality ram. I also don't understand how you can be using the 333MHz RAM ratio, but still have it running at 399 (400MHz)? I'd try slowing the ram down, or relaxing the timings. (might want to try 2.6V for the Vram.) (DDR1 takes 2.5V right guys?)
November 17, 2006 7:13:37 AM

64C under full load is a very good temp for a 1900xtx, most people get over that.

My PSU has a lot of power, 38A for 12va line continous.

please step by step tell me what things can 100% not be the problem, then we can proceed.

I have different RAM lying, I can check with that.
November 17, 2006 6:03:34 PM

Seems you have it all figured out then the way you keep shooting everyones suggestions down like you already know the problem. Im done maybe someone who can deal with your that cant be it i know for a fact attitude will help you later on.
a c 223 U Graphics card
November 17, 2006 6:07:12 PM

Have you tried any of this?

Quote:
I'm guessing a ram issue. You have an older CPU that has known memory issues, and possible low(er) quality ram. I also don't understand how you can be using the 333MHz RAM ratio, but still have it running at 399 (400MHz)? I'd try slowing the ram down, or relaxing the timings. (might want to try 2.6V for the Vram.) (DDR1 takes 2.5V right guys?)

If so, just tell us you've already done that. I don't think you've done exactly that, and I still don't understand the 333 setting but running at 399/400.
November 17, 2006 7:59:35 PM

well i think your problem is the graphics card and i'm refering tot the fact that it is a gecube.one thing i can tell is that they aren't reliable at all. sry for the bad publicity :oops:  but gecube sux .try getting a sapphire,asus or something :!: .sometimes i think :why am i not having the same problems with leadtek or asus :?: maybe that's because they realy put some effort into building that board.try comparing your gecube board with one from asus or sapphire and you'll see the difference ... even at the first look they seem cheap. :twisted: ....
oh! almost forgot : i saw so many gecube's fried and fused to the slot like no other :twisted: especially the xt versions tend to have a "burning" wish to be your mobo's companion to the death :D 
so borrow a graphic card from someone and at least you'll eliminate the vc as your problem...if not , take my advice : get yourself another 1900xtx :D 
a c 150 U Graphics card
November 17, 2006 8:33:11 PM

You did not mention a screen that i saw?

Is it DVI?

i have noticed something similar on some games with DVI on my flat pannel....and it was not like that with my X850....on the TV looks great...........

Just a shot in the dark.....

EDIT

and here we go...i can not get it to happen again.....
November 17, 2006 11:45:05 PM

Hi, I have the same mobo as you so thought I'd chip in my own two cents here. I might state some obvious things here so just ignore them if you've already done those.

Start with the "PEG Link Mode" setting in your BIOS (forgot the name of the section it's under) - this option automatically overclocks your graphics card based on settings predetermined by ASUS for each particular card. Set it to "Disabled" and leave the others on "Auto." Also, when overclocking the CPU, don't overclock the PCIe lane too - leave it at the default (I think it's 100 Mhz). Make sure you have the Floppy Diskette drive option enabled even if you don't have a floppy drive as I've read that overclocking on this board doesn't work properly with it disabled (might have been fixed with a bios upgrade, not sure). That's all I can think of for the BIOS settings off the top of my head but you may want to try disabling all the ports and stuff you don't use like the parallel port, midi (gaming?) port, unused sata/ide channels, etc.

Check IRQ settings in Windows to make sure your graphics card has a dedicated one. Next, make sure VSync is disabled in the graphics driver and in games as that could cause stuttering. Also, if you haven't already done so, try drivers from GeCube (if they offer one) and ATI to see if there is any difference.

That's it for now, gotta go and good luck.
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2006 1:24:41 AM

Temps are fine i think. I was running my 805 OC @ close to 50C idle, 80c load, and my 6800GS OC would auto slowdown @ 120c. Still ran games fine tho.

Id say u got a bad card. Find another pc and plug your 1900 in. If the cpu/ram is up2 it and it stutters. Problem solved, return the card. If not...

1.) take your sys into a shop and pay the $ for them to figure it out.

2.) use a 'donor' system and test your parts one by one.

Also... if u have re-installed windows and its gone fine, ram 'should' be ok. Faulty CPU would be obvious, that just leaves mobo.
November 18, 2006 2:13:33 AM

how do i check irq settings in windows?
November 18, 2006 5:00:02 AM

I have thought of an idea. I will try my 6600GT(obviously at relatively lower settings) instead of 1900XTX and if it works fine, then it means that the problem is in the video card or some conflict with a motherboard setting, right?
November 18, 2006 10:22:26 AM

the stutters seem to be better with gecube supplied drivers, but even with them they are far from perfect, and this is at 800x600 low.
November 18, 2006 11:20:49 AM

i have tried onboard sound. i defrag.
what is internet worm detection?

get the video
please keep a watch for jerking trees and sometimes buildings, the motion of the car is mostly smooth.

speed_2006-11-15_17-09-106.avi:
http://files.filefront.com//;6204859;;/