Which one is cooler, Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II/Tuniq 120+FM121?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The 3D Galaxy would provide better cooling but if you want to go 3.8Ghz on your E6600 it can be done with the Tuniq Tower 120 and with the FM121 it would be better. Coolaler have pushed his E6600 to 4Ghz @ 1.52vcore. Assuming the rest of your components are stable then you should be able to do the same or at least 3.8Ghz. I'd say go for the air cooling since it's less money, maintenance and it's reliable but water cooling gives you better temps.

Link for the 4Ghz air-cooled E6600:
http://209.58.227.163/forums/showthread.php?s=2403f49cdf3a6db888a0d69c44069dee&t=117454

bengkiam

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
uhm.. if Tuniq120+FM121 could do 4ghz at 1.52v.core stable then how much Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II could do more? (^^ greed is one of humans basic attitude).

Please explain me, what are water cooling maintenances include.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Water cooling could only cool the cpu with the ambient temperature. You can do more given you have a good pair of rams and the motherboard. Put more juice on that cpu just below it's limit and you should be able to do more. Going over 4Ghz would require good cooling and not to mention the rest of the components.

Like 680i motherboard, DDR2 800, and E6600 would be a good start. But an E6300 would be more bang for the buck and with proper overclocking it can push upward to 3Ghz. With that you can run games and applications really fast. Short story, if you want gaming then get E6300, DDR2 667, 680i board and 8800GTS. Overclock cpu and you're golden. Unless you got your parts already.

Water cooling maintenance. Well not much on the liquid, just replace liquid coolant every year. Other than that water cooling system are more prone to breakage and are costly compare to air coolers. But I got me a water cooling anyways, since I wanted to overclock my 840 which is the second hottest cpu ever made. Aaarrgghhh. Now I can push it from 3.2Ghz to 4Ghz and get 28c idle and 35c-37c gaming and depending on my room temp. The Core 2's are much overclock-able than my Pentium D.

bengkiam

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Thanks, one more question about Tuniq 120. As I saw Coolalers riq, it's look like the Tuniqs air flow is moving verticaly from in/out case fans air flow. Do You have any idea how to make its air flow moving parallel with my case exhaust fan just like Scythe Infinity could?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Coolaler didn't use a case so he got the cooler blowing upwards of the motherboard.

If you use a pc case then it's best to have the airflow from front to back allowing the hot air to be exhausted out the back of the case. Pushing the E6600 to such overclock will generate lots of heat and you have to maximize the airflow inside the case. Increasing cool air intake would greatly help lowering the temps. In this case, you should have a fan installed on the side panel aiming between the rams and the cpu cooler. This kind of mod will have major temps changes and resulting in lower cpu temperature. You can even install another fan on the side panel, providing cool air towards the graphics card. When the graphics card is cool then the inside case temp is cool, thus helping the overall cooling inside the case and further more lowering temps on the cpu. You can even mod a blowhole vent on your case and install a fan on top, expelling hot air upward and out.

For your set, you should have a fan blowing cool air to the hard drive(s), side panel should have two fans preferably 120mm for the cpu/ram and graphics card(s). The blowhole mod is not necessary, but would help.

You maybe have a very good temps with this setup, but keep in mind that is does not guarantee a 3.8Ghz overclock as it is also highly relying on your components stability.