Highlight Markers Cause Text To Be Obscured When Scanned

Hello All,

As part of my job, I scan real estate contracts as B&W images using
Adobe Acrobat or Scansoft Paperport. I have noticed on some documents
that areas which were highlighted don't show the text under the
highlight. The highlight just shows up as a black area on the page. It
seems to only happen with some brands of highlighters and not others.

The only solution I have found for these problem documents is to scan
them as color images. Has anybody else run into this problem? Any
fixes?

Thanks,

Steve

<sjconcord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> As part of my job, I scan real estate contracts as B&W images using
> Adobe Acrobat or Scansoft Paperport. I have noticed on some documents
> that areas which were highlighted don't show the text under the
> highlight. The highlight just shows up as a black area on the page. It
> seems to only happen with some brands of highlighters and not others.
>
> The only solution I have found for these problem documents is to scan
> them as color images. Has anybody else run into this problem? Any
> fixes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

The only solution is to scan the document in color, Some highlight marker
colors show as black when scanned as Black & White (one bit color).

The worst offenders are the red or magenta markers. Yellow is almost
invisible.

Sometimes you can try scanning as gray scale, maybe the marker will not be
so dark.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Catfish

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2003

Some scanner software (or it might have been the twain interface - was
about 2 years ago when I was scanning 30,000 documents for a client
and had the same issue) will allow you when scanning b/w to select a
scan channel (red, blue or green). Came in handy for reports that had
a red cover with black print - b/w made the entire page black.
Likewise, blue cover was often medium to dark grey, yellow was a faint
grey, green depended on the shade sometimes black sometimes pale grey.
I was using OmniPage Pro version 11, and fujitsu 4220 scanners and
whatever version of twain was available from fujitsu in 2003 (ver 8.1
or 8.2 seems to be sticking in my mind). but that was then, and I have
moved on, so can't really look on my office computer anymore and tell.

sjconcord@yahoo.com wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>As part of my job, I scan real estate contracts as B&W images using
>Adobe Acrobat or Scansoft Paperport. I have noticed on some documents
>that areas which were highlighted don't show the text under the
>highlight. The highlight just shows up as a black area on the page. It
>seems to only happen with some brands of highlighters and not others.
>
>The only solution I have found for these problem documents is to scan
>them as color images. Has anybody else run into this problem? Any
>fixes?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Catfish

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2003

just for laughs, I did look at my office computer today - it still
there in the fujitsu twain - called "dropout color" and gives a choice
of red, blue, green or none. We only use fujitsu scanners, so I have
no idea if this is "standard" for other scanner's twain interfaces or
not.

"catfish@hotmall.com" <catfish@hotmall.com> wrote:
>Some scanner software (or it might have been the twain interface - was
>about 2 years ago when I was scanning 30,000 documents for a client
>and had the same issue) will allow you when scanning b/w to select a
>scan channel (red, blue or green). Came in handy for reports that had
>a red cover with black print - b/w made the entire page black.
>Likewise, blue cover was often medium to dark grey, yellow was a faint
>grey, green depended on the shade sometimes black sometimes pale grey.
>I was using OmniPage Pro version 11, and fujitsu 4220 scanners and
>whatever version of twain was available from fujitsu in 2003 (ver 8.1
>or 8.2 seems to be sticking in my mind). but that was then, and I have
>moved on, so can't really look on my office computer anymore and tell.
>
>sjconcord@yahoo.com wrote:
>>Hello All,
>>
>>As part of my job, I scan real estate contracts as B&W images using
>>Adobe Acrobat or Scansoft Paperport. I have noticed on some documents
>>that areas which were highlighted don't show the text under the
>>highlight. The highlight just shows up as a black area on the page. It
>>seems to only happen with some brands of highlighters and not others.
>>
>>The only solution I have found for these problem documents is to scan
>>them as color images. Has anybody else run into this problem? Any
>>fixes?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Steve

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I happened to work for fujitsu support. Almost all Fujisu Twain drivers
come equiped with color dropouts (RGB). But the new standard has
shifted to kofax VRS technology. As catfish probably already knows, VRS
will clean up the images ( mulit-colored documents/ muliple levels of
shades, watermarks, etc.. ) giving a clean bitonal image on the fly-
adjusting on every page independetly.

let me know if you'd like to hear more or perhaps see a demo...

Danny