Duplicate Ethernet Port

uphil2000

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
How can I "duplicate" an ethernet port on my G4 Mac? I have 3 macs and a printer connected via a hub to set a small LAN. One og the macs (a g4) I want to connect to an existing wireless lan via an ethernet bridge - but it only has one single ethernet port. Is there a way to have both connections at the same time (ethernet bridge to the w-lan and the connection to the LAN hub)? Until now I am switching the two cables manually,

Many thanks.

sturm

Splendid
You cant always do that with a mac. Most of the time you are stuck with what you got. No open slots or anything.

uphil2000 you might want to ask this in an actual mac forum. This is pretty much all pc computers.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
You cant always do that with a mac. Most of the time you are stuck with what you got. No open slots or anything.
uphil2000 you might want to ask this in an actual mac forum. This is pretty much all pc computers.

The G4 towers all have about three open slots, in case of expansion is required. At any rate, if he should be lucky enough, his G4 should have support for an Airport card to be installed, thus negating the need for an external bridge.

Even then one 8 port switch and an access point hooked to a port on the switch would solve this problem. The G4, if it can handle an airport card, could switch between network topologies easily.

uphil2000, please state the exact sub-model of the G4 for future reference. It will help us narrow down what you will need.