Now...
My new mobo will be = ~$250-300
My new processor will be = ~$344
My new memory will be = ~$315
My new psu will be = ~$339

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Did not see anything that would lead me to believe that it is a significant upgrade from other 975 crossfires (I may have missed something, but it is certainly not easily apparent). Not sure how price point is justified vs the 680 chipsets with their massive oc limits. I guess it would be satisfactory for our dual gpu ATI brethren but there are a lot of solid $2xx boards with the same abilities.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I read an article today by Anand that said he could only get his quad core to 275FSB on the new bad axe 2. He had to up the multi to 12 to o/c the setup. In his words he said his board was a dud at o'cng. I was all set to buy this today too but then balked after i read that. I was also set to buy the evga 680i the other day until i read that it is having issues as well like running hot and HSF's not designed to work with the board.

As far as newegg and their jacked up prices are concerned, go buy at tigerdirect because they are like 10-20% cheaper than newegg on almost everything that i priced out. Newegg is cheaper for some stuff but they are getting REAL bad at gouging prices lately.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Cool!...not
I will not spend more than 150ish in m/b no matter what. Another thing I don't get is the continuous overpriced ram. Until last summer was dirt cheap, remember buying my 2*512mb ddr 400 kingston at 38 euros each. Ok ddr2 is faster, but not that much to justify current prices.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've had good luck with the Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H. It's the first board I've had with a digital VRM, supremely stable, good overclocker, lots of features, and fast.

This is actually great news because the previous Foxconn boards had been mediocre through several model revisions.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Inflation.
-cm

Bullcrap. Based on:
Back in 2002...
My last good mobo = $80

Now...
My new mobo will be = ~$250-300 [say, $275]

SOOO, that would indicate 36.16% annual rate of inflation. Meanwhile, CPI has been averaging about 2.71% annually, yeaaaah.

It's more like nowadays you get 50x the features integrated into the mobo.

That, and supply and demand. Newegg is just playing the game by taking advantage of limited supply. Welcome to the free market economy.

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Just don't buy from newegg. If they start seeing their customers go somewhere else then they will take notice. I am pricing out parts for a new box now and every single part I have found minus the hard drives and cpu were 10-20% cheaper at Tigerdirect. The cpu was the same and newegg's OEM pricing on sata drives is always cheaper. Other than that it isn't worth my time to deal with them any longer. I suggest you give others a look too as newegg is no longer the industry leader imo.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Yes, you're right. The components of a good motherboard these days require much faster/more efficent/more delicious materials. All this ends up coming to the consumer in cost.
-cm

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yes but how much would you have paid back in 2002 for components that performed like the ones we can get now ? (im betting if I could sell those parts back then I could charge a small fortune... lol)

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Hey,

The 680i boards that are available right now are reference boards and are made by Foxconn for Nvidia and branded for each company such as BFG, EVGA, ECS & there is another I can not recall right now.

That is why you do not see any of the MAJOR players 680i boards out there yet.

How is the report on the 680i's for oc'ing and heat?

rooophy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
It´s a nice board, but way overpriced. Like almost all 975 based mainboards.

I agree, the lack of a good RD600 based board is allowing Intel to do whatever they want with the pricing of high-end boards. Another price we pay for the ATI/AMD merger is the delay (or rather disappearance) of RD600 boards. They should have come out around October but now they may never come out at all (unless DFI does release the one they promised).

escrotumus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
This board has been out for a week now and there is an utter lack of any information about it. I am torn between this and an evga 680i and want to see how the o/c is with the badaxe2 first before i buy. Nobody seems to be that interested in testing this board short of the one or 2 articles that were written with engineering samples and beta bioses back in october.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I think its between Abit and Asus in the 680i market...imo
Depending on the pricing of the Abit, Ive seen as low as 165euros and as high as $320 (all pre-orders of course).
But considering the voltage fluctuations on the Striker and the Digital VRMs on the Abit, its an easy choice.

TRENDING THREADS