Sign in with
Your question

4S tests

Last response: in CPUs
November 15, 2006 4:37:44 PM

Just thought these were intestersting if nothing else. Any thoughts? I don't have time to look up atm, but will Tigerton have an IMC? And if not, will it be bottlenecked at all by FSB? I imagine Tigerton will take the final performance crown away from AMD until K8L atleast.

Any thoughts?

wes

More about : tests

a c 99 à CPUs
November 15, 2006 5:55:13 PM

Tigerton is the Xeon MP version of the Kentsfield (Cloverton) and thus will not have an IMC as the Kentsfield/Cloverton do not have one. It will use Intel's shared bus method, but rather than 1 bus shared among 4 chips, it will be two buses shared among 4 chips. I might be wrong about that- somebody feel free to correct me.

Will it be bottlenecked by the FSB? For inter-CPU communication, the current Xeon MPs are, so I'd fancy a guess that the Tigerton would be too. Only benchmarking will tell for sure.
a c 99 à CPUs
November 15, 2006 9:31:28 PM

Then with an independent FSB to each chip, the chips will be able to communicate to each other decently. RAM bandwidth may be at a premium, but it should be much, much better than the current Xeon MPs. And for the $64,000 question- will it beat the Opterons? I will say that in non-memory-intensive applications, it sure will, as well as in FP and integer performance. But anything that hammers the RAM will see the Opterons pull way ahead.
!