need help to know what they are talking about at techsupport

Gopher666

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Hi I know that this is gonna sound dumb but I dont understand what the tech support are talking about... I guess I have to blame it on that english is not my native language... anyway this is the correspondence from support:

ECS Support (TPE) Posted : GMT 2006/11/15 10:18:01
Dear Sir,

Thanks for using ECS product.
First, make sure Audio connect PIN5_PIN6 and PIN9_PIN10 short or not. Normally it should be short then you can hear from rear line out.
2. Please check audio controller enabled or not. This can make sure if OS can get the device or not.
3. If no problem to detect audio and install correct driver. It should be no problem to hear the sound.
4. Please check volume control mute or not.
5. If still cann't work well, please contact with local dealer for further help.

Best regards,
ECS_TPE

Erik Posted : GMT 2006/11/14 18:40:05
Hi!

I just got the motherboard and I have installed it and everything works fine. except that I cant get any sound from it. I have tried to reinstall both windows and the sound drivers but it just refuses to work. any ideas would be very helpful. and how do I know if the motherboard is defective?

its the first suggestion that I dont get... what does it mean if its short or not?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The first point might have to do with the case to motherboard connection for audio. If you are using the audio ports on the motherboard itself this should not be an issue.

another reason to not buy ECS.
You cant understand them cause they dont know enough english either.

If after the above posted suggestions do not help, please let us know so we can be more clear.

P.S. Google needs another translator.

Indian techsupport to english. lol.

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
It sounds like they are telling you to change jumper settings on the board. Maybe they have an option to disable onboard sound via the jumpers if you are not using it. They gave you some broken info as they shouldh ave explained exactly where & what they are referring to & why it needs to be changed. Most people would not want to start switching things around like that without knowing exactly what it does & is used for to be able to diagnose any wierd issues thay may crop up later on

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
They are at/near the bottom of the totem pole.

Asus/Intel/Gigabyte/Foxconn/Dfi/Abit probly a few more that I missed... are at/near the top.

But hey, if it does what you want....who really cares right?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
13thmonkey is right , you need to set the jumpers provided with your motherboard to activate sound to your rear jack they are small like grain of rice and comes with black, blue or red color. Usually this jumper are replace by connection for front mini jack.

These jumper is just to short the two pins together and you need to use two for left and right channel.

If you are using add on soundcard then these jumpers are not the issue.

Check your manual where's the audio jumper has to go.

Gopher666

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
alright cool Im gonna try that since I tried to connect a front panel so this could be the issue. actually I tried reading the manual on how to connect the front panel but it was just so badly written... thanks for all the help it is much appreciated :)

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
But hey, if it does what you want....who really cares right?

True enough :D. I bought a "PCChips" mobo for a friend of mine (just to get him started with a cheap PC and get him into hardware) with an Athlon XP. Sure, you had to do everything with jumper settings and it was a pain, but it worked (and oddly enough he still has that computer like 2-3 years later and has had no problems whatsoever).

He might not be the coolest kid at a LAN party, but it works for what he needs it for.