AGP card availability

timmy1

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I'm going to be building a new system in a few months, and will be giving my old system a new life as a HTPC. The mobo (ASUS p4pe) is AGP only. I was thinking of replacing my old ATI 9100 with an Nvidia 7600GT, since it's the cheapest card with all of the PureVideo features enabled (if I go down even to the 7600GS, i'd lose inverse telecine).

Anyways, I've noticed that AGP versions of these cards are hard to come by. If I wait a couple of months to buy one, will I be SOL? Should I just jump on it now while they're still around?

Thanks.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
AGP is phasing out, so in couple of months none of the cards you are interested in will be available.

I would say keep checking, and you can find some.

You can use something like Froogle, and you might find some in stock.

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
While PCI-E is the latest and greatest, there are so many AGP systems out there manufactures will still product AGP cards for a while. The 7600GT is one of the best AGP cards out there and is still in production. If you give it a bit you will see more released although you better jump on one as soon as it is available as they sell out very fast.

XFX Support

timmy1

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I found one Canadian supplier that had stock, so I ordered it - an XFX 7600GT AGP. The PCI-E version of the same card was CAN$40 less expensive -- higher volume, lower cost, I suppose.

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Not just higher volume lower cost but PCI-E cards are actually less expensive to manufacture. Glad to see you found the card you were looking for.

XFX Support

TRENDING THREADS