looking for the smallest aftermarket heatsink

corgann

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I have a amd 3800 and want to replace stock HS. I need a small but efficient
HS. Could someone give me a good suggestion? This is my first build and my MB doesn't have much room for the larger Zalmans etc. Any help would be great and I do not want to go water cooling. Thanks

I figured if anyone could figure it out it would be you guys.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Listing what motherboard you have could help. Either someone might be using it or is familiar with it and can make a recommendation accordingly.

corgann

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I guess I should have mentioned the MB- MSI K9N NeoF 550. The stock HS is doing an alright job at cooling but I want temps to be a bit lower. Plus I didn't mean the heatsink had to be smaller than the stock one (because I know smaller means less cooling) but not the size of a Honda Civic. Temps are my main concern. The thing is my case is an experimental one from one of my college buddies and I cannot have an extremely tall HS. Being a mechanical engineer he is trying to design cases with certain airflow paths that he thinks will work better but who knows. I just told him I would give his case a try. Once I have everything installed I will post pics if he will let me. Thanks

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Honda Civic's are small, Hummer's, on the other hand... aren't... anyways

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro. One of the best, cheapest, efficent HSF on the market. Not really that low profile, but not a huge beast either... more like a Camry, or an Accord... affordable, but works very well.

Edit: Arcitc Cooling Freezer 64... the 7 pro is for Intel, just realized after I hit post that you had an AMD...

corgann

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
Thanks the Zalman CNPS7700 will fit. I checked the dimensions and will have about an inch to spare. Appreciate the advice.

Mondoman

Splendid
Remember that the stock Intel hsf is likely letting the CPU run hotter in order to cut down on fan noise. You may be able to override this in the BIOS, or you can try unplugging the fan from the 4-pin CPU fan header and plugging it into a 3-pin fan header instead. In the latter case, the fan will be controlled by its built-in temp sensor and should run a somewhat cooler profile.

corgann

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
We are going to do that then check to see how an aftermarket works. I hope his idea works cause this will make an overclock on air great.