How much better would a Coolscan V be than flatbed?

I have about 500 color negatives from a European trip that I'd like to
scan. The negatives are 12 years old. I have an old Epson Perfection
2400 flatbed with the filmstrip adaptor, but the scans I get from that
are unsatisfactory, very soft and noisy. I realize that I'll get
better results from a dedicated film scanner like the Coolscan V, but
how MUCH better? A little? A lot? Breathtaking? I don't want to drop
$500+ for minimal gains.

Once scanned, I want to edit the images in Photoshop, and print at
sizes up to 8x10.

"RunningMan" <rman@dontbother.com> wrote in message
>I have about 500 color negatives from a European trip that I'd like to
> scan. The negatives are 12 years old. I have an old Epson Perfection
> 2400 flatbed with the filmstrip adaptor, but the scans I get from that
> are unsatisfactory, very soft and noisy. I realize that I'll get
> better results from a dedicated film scanner like the Coolscan V, but
> how MUCH better? A little? A lot? Breathtaking? I don't want to drop
> $500+ for minimal gains.
>
> Once scanned, I want to edit the images in Photoshop, and print at
> sizes up to 8x10.

Since the Coolscan V is a 4000 DPI film scanner, the results should be
Breathtaking.

Plus the Coolscan V has a little thing called Digital ICE which cleans up
scratches and improves the color.
It also has New advanced image processing algorithm for color negative film.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Printing up to 8x10, you should definitely go the filmscanner route.

A filmscanner scanning at 4000ppi and up is well worth $500+ - check out
ebay. I bought the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 there.

Maris

RunningMan wrote:
> I have about 500 color negatives from a European trip that I'd like to
> scan. The negatives are 12 years old. I have an old Epson Perfection
> 2400 flatbed with the filmstrip adaptor, but the scans I get from that
> are unsatisfactory, very soft and noisy. I realize that I'll get
> better results from a dedicated film scanner like the Coolscan V, but
> how MUCH better? A little? A lot? Breathtaking? I don't want to drop
> $500+ for minimal gains.
>
> Once scanned, I want to edit the images in Photoshop, and print at
> sizes up to 8x10.

If you'd be okay with mailing a sample strip of film to me, I'd be happy to
scan, using various dpi settings, some Coolscan V samples for you to play
with.

Jim