ASUS G53SW webcam missing.

ptchfrk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I recently purchased an ASUS G53SW-XN1 with Windows 7 64-bit OS from newegg and found out that the built-in webcam doesn't work. Upon further investigation I also found that there is no "Imaging device" listed in "Device Manager" yet the physical device is obviously there. I went to the ASUS support site to attain the driver for the webcam only to find that, for this model, there is no driver listed. I called ASUS about this and their tech was as surprised as I was over the lack of a driver for this model. He directed me to try the driver for similar models (G53JW, G73JH, and G73SW) but none of their drivers would work, and the G73SW model, as with my model (G53SW), didn't have a driver listed either.
Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

ptchfrk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
@AREA 51:
Your kidding right? The "ASUS Virtual Camera Utility" states clearly that in order for it to work the "camera driver MUST be installed." Please, don't act like you have information on this subject that is heretofore unrecognized, or undiscovered. As I stated, "I called ASUS about this and their tech was as surprised as I was over the lack of a (camera) driver for this model" available on the "support.asus.com" website. Your answer, though appreciated, is an over simplification to a complex problem and nothing that has not been addressed already. Thanks for your reply, but it has not given a new avenue to explore.

ptchfrk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
@AREA 51:

The link you have sent is a link for the ASUS G53JW. As In my first posting, if you read it, I stated I contacted ASUS through their 24/7/365 Hotline and among other things "He directed me to try the driver for similar models (G53JW, G73JH, and G73SW) but none of their drivers would work, and the G73SW model, as with my model (G53SW), didn't have a driver listed either."
Nice try but to no avail.

ptchfrk... area51 is only trying to help. There is no need for the aggressive attitude in your posts.

I have the exact same model of laptop, and I have a webcam driver installed and working. The factory image was removed and a vanilla copy of Windows 7 was installed as well, so I had to obtain the drivers after the fact. A driver does indeed exist for the camera. I cannot immediately recall where I obtained it from, but while I look, have you tried a simpler approach, like checking Windows Update? I don't normally recommend doing this, but seeing as Asus does not seem to provide the driver at their website, this is the next best alternative.

joangail d

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

:fou: i am going out of my mind too in trying to turn on my webcam. can't find any tech genius who can answer this question either. what's the answer, throw my computer away?

ptchfrk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
@The_Prophecy:
I am aware that AREA 51 is only trying to help and I don't mean to come off as aggressive. I'm just frustrated with having purchased a machine for $1,200 that I, in turn, upgraded to a $2,000 machine only to find that the manufacturer has failed to post a webcam driver on their site for said model (G53SW).
I have tried "Windows Update" but to no avail. For, at least temporarily, I have purchased an after market webcam (The Logitech C310 HD Webcam) for the machine but would still much prefer the native camera for obvious reasons.

@joangail d:
I'm sure there's no need to throw it away, it is an otherwise excellent machine, there's only a need to find the proper camera driver. But, if you do decide to throw it away throw it in my direction ... lol. I WILL find the answer to this minor dilemma, it's just a matter of time.

@AREA 51:
No, I haven't tried the driver for the G51J model but I'll give it a shot. Thanx.

G53SW-XN1
Core i7 2630QM 2.0GHz Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
16 Gb G.Skill DDR3@1333MHz RAM
500Gb Momentus XT Hybrid Primary Hard Drive
500Gb Momentus 7200.4 Storage Hard Drive
Panasonic (Matshita) UJ240AS Blu Ray Burner
Intel Centrino Advanced 6200 N wireless adapter
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM Dedicated Graphics Card
EAX Advanced HD 5.0 Sound w/THX Tru-Studio
Windows 7 Professional

ptchfrk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Chicony or Suyin?

To be perfectly frank, I don't know which camera I have. I purchased the G53SW-XN1 for my daughter who resides in Idaho. After buying the unit I upgraded all that was upgradeable, Windows 7 Professional over Windows 7 Home Premium, added an extra 500Gb XT Hard Drive, 16Gb of G.Skill memory, Panasonic (Matshita) Blu Ray Burner, Intel Centrino Advanced 6200 N wireless adapter, and sent it on to her. I live in North Carolina so I don't have direct access to the machine. I will meet up with my daughter in Idaho later this year but still need the "proper driver" for the camera. The machine has whatever camera ASUS originally mounted for the G53SW-XN1. Any leads as to where I might locate that particular driver would be appreciated. Thank you.

alanfwiliams

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Feb 28, 2012
Dear Frustrated Customers,

Here's the Dealio.. The ONLY way to fix this issue 'says ASUS'(which I believe sadly) is to purchase a 'recovery disk' from them to install ASUS's version of Windows for drivers to be installed correctly.. OR Send it into them because they're dirt bags for putting a 2.0Mega Pixel (piece of @#^) webcam into a gaming laptop worth over $1,200. Thanks ASUS for messing us over. Problem solved, thanks to tech support for nothing.. (Sadly I have tried everything else as well, no driver will work. The Camera is UNABLE to be found anywhere, AT ALL.) Good day gentleman.

P.S. It's definitely not that triangular thingy at the top of your laptop.. That's just a show case.. ;] *Cause your COOL!*

Lovingly,
Shoulda gave me another USB port for the extra WEBCAM!

danwavle

Honorable
May 17, 2012
No, NO, NO,... I had the same problem3 months ago. the real problem is the asus cam is turned off. once you go in and turn it on then the driver will show up and the hardware will be located. Geek squad at Bect buy showed me how to turn it on and change the defalt to turn on with the comuter so i really don't remember how sorry wish I did.

Beygirbey

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I'm sorry for bringing this up but the year is 2015 and I still have this problem.

I had a clean format on my ASUS G53SW and the webcam is nowhere to be found. Can't see it in my device manager, I've dled and try to install every single driver none of them even completely installed other than Bison and that one didn't work either. Also I do not know how to turn the webcam on and off manually. Someone worked this out?