Do I need a floppy to install XP on raid 0?

milnyckyj

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I'm gonna do a build with 2 sata drives in raid 0. Do I need a floppy to install raid drivers for windows xp? Can I use a burned CD instead? I'm going to be using the controller on an Asus P5B-E.

I haven't used a floppy since clinton was in the white house; I'd hate to have to get one just to install windows.

laitainion

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Unless you slip stream the drivers into your XP install (a program called nLite can do it for you). Otherwise you do have to use a floppy disc, the setup routine won't look for a CD or anything else while looking for drivers.

milnyckyj

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Slipstreaming is what I came up with after a bit of googling. maximum pc has an article on installing raid drivers to an xp disk. Hopefully will help anyone else trying to do this to not buy a floppy :)

kamran5461

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
my mobo(Intel DX38BT X38 Socket 775) doesn't have fdd connector so i can't use one. the usb external floppies don't work either during boot. so slipstreaming is the only available option thus far.

kamran5461

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
i am tryin to slipstream my 64 bit xp pro so it would support marvell raid drivers. To do that, i am using nlite and i have 2 inf files but i think i only need one, but i am not sure which one.
mv61xx.inf or mvnodrv.inf ?
my mobo is Intel DX38BT X38 Socket 775

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

Put them both on - it won't hurt!

:lol:

offtrack

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
F6 hard coded in XP setup.exe issue.

I do have a slipstream for all , nlite and vlite.
but it is a pain, having to do that for every system I maintain. Max PAIN.

I wonder if someone has not designed a Floppy emulator hardware device the plugs into the floppy port.
this device would translate a xd flash or thumb flash to the floppy controller.

one could keep device in a service kit an would never have to see Bad sector reads, for the rest of ones life.
I get a lot of Vista down grades, so I am busy.

that setup.exe is hard coded to use the floppy port, even when the MB bios has the floppy disabled.
dirty little THING, it is. and only loads, "mass storage" drivers.

I too have may USB flash sticks that boot to usb-fdd and usb-hdd. but that is no solution.

any one see a hardware solution?

cheers to one and all.

btw this guy posting said , he has no FDD port,