Best software to bring best results from film scanner

What is the best software to use with film scanner (Canon FS4000US) that
will get the most detail, least noise and cope best with under and over
exposed films

I use both Vuescan and the Canon software.
In my experience Vuescan is far superior for transparencies but has been
less than satisfactory with negative materials than the Canon software. The
adjustment parameters are limited in the Canon software and generally are
best left at default settings except for problematic images.
For particularly problematic images often the best solution is to create
scans with different exposure parameters and combine the best parts in
Photoshop.
For underexposures you have to experiment with whether it is best to try to
bring up details using the scanner software or post scan in Photoshop, or
some combination.
If the image is severely overexposed and there is no detail in the original
you are SOL, particularly with transparencies, as you are likely aware.