Apple Patents Solar Cell Multitouch Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
neat. would be nice to just lay your phone on a table and have it retain its charge for that while. They would last a bit longer.

[citation][nom]noob2222[/nom]Hold on, I have to put my iphone in direct sunlight.Uhh ... what?first comes retina display, followed by solar panel nano wires in front of it, sounds great.... http://www.techhive.com/article/25 [...] rough.htmlWonder how much power you can get with 4% efficient solar panels on an Iphone. Charging time: 24 days.[/citation]

Drinking by the lake this summer we found out an Iphone can only sit i n direct sunlight while playing music for 20 minutes before it gives an error and turns off until it colos down

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
So they don't know how to go about building it but if some genius through hours of blood, sweat and toil does ever manage to one day invent such a thing then Apple will happily screw him.

G

Well, alchemy, I assume it's tech their R&D is actively working on, which is why they patented it. If anyone ever does manage to get this working and working well (I have my doubts with current solar technology), I'll guarantee you Apple is going to want it in the iPhone. The patent system is pretty messed up and Apple in particular is toward the top of companies that exploit it, but I'd give them a little more credit than that. It's an interesting concept and even companies that have developed somewhat of a reputation for stagnation still typically pursue new ideas when they have them.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Twelve25[/nom]This is actually pretty neat. I know a lot of us like to rip on Apple, but occasional they have some good ideas![/citation]

Let's just hope they don't shut down another company with a lawyer army for it.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]Patents are great but, uh, is it ever going to hit market, or is this another one of those "futureproofing" patents that apple loves.[/citation]

Most patents work this way. Especially for Patent trolls and at least Apple makes hardware and not just patents. Wonder why this idea took so long to patent? Most likely because it involves existing tech and requires a 3rd party solar panel manufacturer. I really like this idea as long as Apple n Co can make the panel look like a normal screen.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]spectrablue[/nom]http://recombu.com/mobile/news/sel [...] 16523.html[/citation]

Good catch. It is not uncommon for an idea to appear from multiple sources at nearly the same time. Its whoever can get the patent 1st that wins...lol. In this case I can assume Apple came up with the concept first and will hopefully work with or allow other institutions/companies to develop the hardware.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]spectrablue[/nom]http://recombu.com/mobile/news/sel [...] 16523.html[/citation]

After reading the article, it seems these two idea's are separate. Apple's patent wants to use an outside source as energy, while the article you posted wants to recycle wasted energy OLED displays scatter.

InvalidError

Titan
Solar panels work by absorbing light.

If Apple's solar panel is transparent enough not to hinder display functions then it is likely too transparent to capture significant solar energy.

Low-cost solar cells are very much opaque and are only ~10% efficient. Apple's transparent cells would likely be more expensive and be even less efficient so you would probably get 1-2W out of a 10" iPad-sized panel. I suppose that's better than nothing as long as it does not add any significant weight and relatively little cost.

I would simply slap standard cells on the back of the phone/tablet, avoids burning the screen with UV/IR.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Twelve25[/nom]This is actually pretty neat. I know a lot of us like to rip on Apple, but occasional they have some good ideas![/citation]

You mean, they occasionally steal good ideas and patent them.

spectrablue

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Solar panels work by absorbing light.If Apple's solar panel is transparent enough not to hinder display functions then it is likely too transparent to capture significant solar energy.Low-cost solar cells are very much opaque and are only ~10% efficient. Apple's transparent cells would likely be more expensive and be even less efficient so you would probably get 1-2W out of a 10" iPad-sized panel. I suppose that's better than nothing as long as it does not add any significant weight and relatively little cost.I would simply slap standard cells on the back of the phone/tablet, avoids burning the screen with UV/IR.[/citation] very subtle but yes that is a difference... doesn't take freaking rocket science to make the leap from that idea to a general solar cell. The patent office may consider this close enough to be prior art.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]It's not meant to be the primary charging solution.... man some people here are dumb.[/citation]
He was putting a funny spin to this true fact:
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Solar panels work by absorbing light.If Apple's solar panel is transparent enough not to hinder display functions then it is likely too transparent to capture significant solar energy.Low-cost solar cells are very much opaque and are only ~10% efficient. Apple's transparent cells would likely be more expensive and be even less efficient so you would probably get 1-2W out of a 10" iPad-sized panel. I suppose that's better than nothing as long as it does not add any significant weight and relatively little cost.I would simply slap standard cells on the back of the phone/tablet, avoids burning the screen with UV/IR.[/citation]

Apparently, you can't even tell when people are jokingly making a valid point. Speaking of "dumb", eh?

[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Good catch. It is not uncommon for an idea to appear from multiple sources at nearly the same time. Its whoever can get the patent 1st that wins...lol. In this case I can assume Apple came up with the concept first and will hopefully work with or allow other institutions/companies to develop the hardware.[/citation]
Obviously, you have not been following the news lately. Either that, or you're very naive to think that Apple would ever "work with or allow other companies blah, blah".
Besides, that's not the case here. Not only the concept, but also the prototype exists (and has been here for about a year already, if not longer). But hey, even if someone showed you the working device, you would still believe it was Apple that came up with it first, because that's what living inside Apple's bubble means.

mrmez

Splendid
Bring it on I say.

The tech will only get smaller, lighter and more efficient as time goes on.
It will never be good enough to charge your phone, but as phones get more power hungry its definitely a good way to slow the power drain.

That with decent built-in inductive charging would be awesome.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
1 day later after reading this article..... Google decides to patent using wind power on a cellphone or tablet device to charge it because that's how corporations roll oh well to hell with them and their idea I have a equally ludicrous and stupid patent idea and my idea is better.

The saddest part about this is it's one of the more legitimate patents I've read on toms hardware in the past couple of years which goes to show the abundance of horrible circles and squares bad patents their have been in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS