Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I have just built a new system with the following

KN8 SLI MBO
WD Raptor HDD
AMD 64 3800 SKT 939
NVIDIA 7950GT PCI E
2GB CORSAIR DDR400

I couldnt get windows to install as I kept getting a BSOD or it would freeze. Messed about with the RAM and it worked but only with 1GB inserted into DIMM2.

DUAL Mode doesnt work either. I have tried different RAM (Corsair DDR400 but 512MB) but get the same problems.

Also updated the BIOS to the latest one. I managed to install windows with 1GB installed into DIMM2 and works perfectly under every type of use, but if I use any other slot or add the other 1GB stick it causes me no end of problems.

It seems to me that there may be a problem with the MBO. But Im no expert with memory and mbo's.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

magus_gr

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I have the same board, but didnt encounter a problem like that... If it's a pair of double sided dimms you're using, the board should work fine in Dual Channel DDR400 mode with them installed in slots 1-2, or 3-4 (p. 2-8 of the manual). Check the compatiblity list of either MSI or Corsair for the ram you're using. If you load the failsafe defaults, do you keep on having the same problem?

MonkeyRFC

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Hi,

Its the Abit version of the KN8.

I have fixed the problem. It was a faulty MBO so I just had it swapped and it seems to work fine now.

Thanks