Most future-proof yet beginner-friendly motherboard?

Zippyx

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Greetings!

I've been trying to hold out for all of the changes coming to market in '07, but I think that since DX10 cards have finally started appearing, I can't stand the waiting any longer ;) Having never put together a system myself, I'm a little timid about nailing down the decision of which components to purchase, so I was hoping for a bit of help here. Been trying to read up as much as I can though, so hopefully at least some of the choices seem reasonable! I bolded the items which I felt the system would be built around.

Important notes:
[*:b0bb4551ce]Cost is important, but not my first priority. Instead, quality and ease of use should guide the decision making.
[*:b0bb4551ce]Beginner-friendly assembly would help a lot!
[*:b0bb4551ce]I don't plan to overclock
[*:b0bb4551ce]Only plan on having one graphics card
[*:b0bb4551ce]I typically buy a new system every 4-5 years, replacing memory and video card about halfway through that period
[*:b0bb4551ce]My internet access consists solely of 802.11g... do the Mobos with built in wireless actually function better than a PCI card? Is there a third option, like maybe something for those darn PCIe x1 slots?
What I already have:
[*:b0bb4551ce]19" 1000:1 5ms LCD
[*:b0bb4551ce]Corsair XMS2 800, 2x1gb
[*:b0bb4551ce]Mouse/keyboard (although you're welcome to suggest new-fangled gaming mice/boards!! :))
[*:b0bb4551ce]Some random sound card
[*:b0bb4551ce]Opticals
What I'm pretty sure I do want:[*:b0bb4551ce]C2D E6600
[*:b0bb4551ce]eVGA 8800GTX
And finally, the stuff I still need?
[*:b0bb4551ce]Mobo?
[*:b0bb4551ce]PSU?
[*:b0bb4551ce]Case?
[*:b0bb4551ce]Cooling?
[*:b0bb4551ce]???

Whew! I tried to include all of the useful information that I saw people asking about in other posts, but if I did forget something, please just let me know and I'll get it up here asap! I realize that I didn't put a fixed budget on here, but that's simply because (without being outlandish or wasteful, please), I'm willing to spend extra to ensure that this will be a quality system, lasting me years down the road.

Thanks,
Mike

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Motherboard:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028

PSU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151028

Case: Antec, Lian-li, Thermaltake, Coolermaster.....your choice, pick a mid-tower

Cooling: choose a case with great cooling

Wireless: that's covered with the motherboard

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I don't think the premium on 800MHz RAM is worth it for you, since you aren't overclocking at all. Here is an analysis of the effects of different RAM speed in games, 1-2 frames/second difference.

You forgot to add hard drive(s) to the list. I'd recommend a hard drive with a SATA interface and with NCQ (Native Command Queuing).

Zippyx

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think the premium on 800MHz RAM is worth it for you, since you aren't overclocking at all. Here is an analysis of the effects of different RAM speed in games, 1-2 frames/second difference.

You forgot to add hard drive(s) to the list. I'd recommend a hard drive with a SATA interface and with NCQ (Native Command Queuing).

I already have the 800 MHz RAM, found it on the one day special when Fry's bought the Frys.com url!

Do you think that the 1333 MHz FBS speed is worth spending a little extra on? Otherwise, the ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) looks pretty nice!

For Harddrive, I was thinking two Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0 - OEM ... but it's OEM... should I be wary of that? Also, how much improvement would I noticed if I went for something with higher RPMs?

As for case, not too sure how to tell which ones have the best cooling. Just looking through mid cases (is a "full" case only if I plan to have a lot of extras inside?) and saw a couple I liked the look of--1 simple, 1 snazzy:
COOLER MASTER Centurion
NZXT LEXA-NP Black/Silver

Your suggestion of the SeaSonic S12 650W PSU looks good. Just wondering now how I can check to see if it will fit into the case I pick without blocking fans or the like!

Thanks for the help so far, guys!

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Do you think that the 1333 MHz FBS speed is worth spending a little extra on?
Since your processor can't take advantage of the 1333 MHz FSB, you don't need it at all, it's a waste of money.

Otherwise, the ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) looks pretty nice!
The Asus motherboard is nice but it is really expensive if you aren't going to be doing overclocking. There are a lot of features that you may not use very much. If you already have a Wireless PCI card, I'd recommend getting a cheaper motherboard (less than $150). Just my opinion. I usually don't spend a lot on the motherboard.

For Harddrive, I was thinking two Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0 - OEM ... but it's OEM... should I be wary of that? Also, how much improvement would I noticed if I went for something with higher RPMs?
That hard drive looks good. OEM just means you only get the hard drive, no extra cables, no retail box, no user guide. The warranty is still the same though. (Some people haven't liked Seagate recently because they charge ~$27 for advanced RMA, not sure if they charge for normal RMA. Just thought you should know.)
Higher RPMs will make data transfer faster and seek times lower. I'd probably just save your money and keep with the 7200 RPM. In the future you can add a fast hard drive (the $/GB is really high though).

As for case, not too sure how to tell which ones have the best cooling.
Cases are totally up to you. I prefer more standard cases, others prefer fancy cases. For cooling, just make sure there is either one 120mm fan in the back, or two 80mm in the back. One side fan and a 120mm fan in the front or two 80mm in the front.

Your suggestion of the SeaSonic S12 650W PSU looks good. Just wondering now how I can check to see if it will fit into the case I pick without blocking fans or the like!
You just have to look at the pictures of the power supply and of the case you will get. Try to visually align the screw placements to see which direction the fan will be facing. The power supply most always goes in the top-back of the computer case.