Sign in with
Your question

speed up my broadband!

Last response: in Networking
March 6, 2006 11:16:38 PM

Hey all!

I have a 2MB DSL at the moment, is there any sneaky way i can speed up my connection without paying more to my provider? i don't mean little tweaking bits in windows.

More about : speed broadband

March 8, 2006 2:35:59 PM

There are ways to uncap your modem (Google for it) but it is illegal and your ISP will kick your @ss if they catch you doing it :wink:

All ISPs monitor traffic usage and will probably notice if a user is suddenly using much more than what they pay for.
February 27, 2009 10:17:18 AM

hubbardt said:
There are ways to uncap your modem (Google for it) but it is illegal and your ISP will kick your @ss if they catch you doing it :wink:

All ISPs monitor traffic usage and will probably notice if a user is suddenly using much more than what they pay for.

can u tell me how to uncap my modem
please send it to samridhgupta@gmail.com
Related resources
February 27, 2009 5:55:29 PM

Often times the speed of a DSL circuit is not determined by the CPE. The DSLAM or the PPPOE DB will store the speed at which your connection will sync. One way to speed up your connection is to look towards different service. Many times, if you live in a heavily populated area, you can find a local CLEC that offers a much more robust service for a similar price. Verizon, Covad, and others usually don't offer Annex M, but local CLECs often do. Not to mention, there a number of other benefits from using a local CLEC.

1) Many of these local circuits can come on a dry loop (copper pair without dial tone) allowing you to choose other telecom solutions.

2) You could get a static IP at no additional charge.

3) You could provide your own CPE (There are a ton of really cool DSL modems out there.)

4) You could bond multiple circuits at a discount. (Imagine 4 10Mbit pipes aggregated into one 40Mbit connection)

5) If the local CLEC has rack space in the CO, you could provide both the CPE and the terminal equipment.
March 19, 2009 10:53:21 PM

You might want to check you're even getting your full 2Meg! I'm paying for an "up to" 8Meg connection and was barely seeing 1.7Mbs according to my router. I stumbled upon a trick in the UK which involves simply disconnecting the bell wire see http://broadband-speedup.blogspot.com/ which got me up to 2.5Mbs, but I can't get it any higher. My ISP tells me it's becuase of the distance I live from the exchange! I'd be interest in any tips to improve my connection. Streaming video is very poor
March 19, 2009 11:33:37 PM

Connection speed on a DSL circuit is determined directly by line quality. Distance of the CO is a major factor in line quality, but the internal wiring of a house plays just as much of a role. A few tips to increasing sync speed:

1: Don't split the cable. Minimize the number of times you must break the cable and use a coupler, splitter, or wall jack.

2: Use a high quality data cable to transmit the phone line to the modem. I am not sure what your NIDs are like in the UK, but here in the states, there is a box on the side of the house. You can access your side of the box. I Use CAT5E cable for my DSL line. You only need to isolate one of the twisted pairs for the circuit. Our phone system only uses 2 conductors.

3: Run the cable directly from the phone box to the MODEM. Terminate the cable with a phone plug directly into the modem. Don't use a wall jack. Again, I am not sure how the boxes and phone systems work in the UK, but a local electrician should be able to run a cable and crimp it for you.

4: Keep the cable away from any high energy such as power lines in your house, fluorescent lighting, or microwave emitters. Use shielded CAT5E cable if possible.

5: Keep the cable short. The longer the cable, the higher the signal loss. My modem is in my basement because there I can attach it to my phone box with only about 6 feet of cable. Running CAT5E for 100Mbit/sec from the basement to my router is much better than running the phone line a long distance. I would rather lose 5 Mbit on a 100mbit line than lose 1Mbit on a 5Mbit line.
October 30, 2010 12:47:42 AM

Thanks for the tips to speed up your connection by dealing with the cable wire. Actually, there are other options to speed up broadband like adjusting your router settings, and manually stopping various programs and processes. They are just a few improvements that you can do on your own. Other options include upgrading Modem and using web accelerator software.
!