Your question

Need so much advice ... its sad

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 15, 2006 11:45:56 PM

Hey. Im a newb here. i did a little research but i still dont know much about which parts to buy. but i know that i want a c2d cpu. my budget is 850 or less. i am going to mainly use it for internet, movies, tv, music, editing, and school work, and mild gaming. i also have the monitor, keyboard,mouse, os and all that. so nay ideas to help out a guy?

More about : advice sad

November 16, 2006 1:33:25 AM

Quote:
i know that i want a c2d cpu. my budget is 850 or less. i am going to mainly use it for internet, movies, tv, music, editing, and school work, and mild gaming.
so nay ideas to help out a guy?

Yes, save your money or lower your expectations.
November 16, 2006 1:40:33 AM

little harsh dont you think? i can be done, but we need at least $900

heres a system i was thinking of building before the 8800's came out, pretty close, but with the case it'll go over your $850 budget

E6300 $183.00
G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) $110.00
Sapphire X1950Pro $200.00
MSI 975X Platinum Socket T $170.00
Western Digital Caviar 250GB OEM $70.00
Antec Truepower 480W $80.00
cd/dvd drive $30.00
--------------------------------------------------------
total $843.00

pick out a case and your set, linked. these are all pretty high quality parts, if you skimp a bit on the mobo and get something like the msi neo-f instead i thinkn it would be possible to stay in budget.
Related resources
November 16, 2006 1:53:09 AM

well i was thinking that maybe going with the P5B would be a good idea. mainly because many people had good success with it. and then instead of the x1950 maybe i could use the 7900 GS. after most rebates it would drop down to ~160. but i not sure if it is a good card. using the FSP PSU for 450W is only ~50. that would drop it almost $100. but i dont know if these parts are any good anymore so i cant really say. i have no idea with the case. my only requirement is that it has adequate cooling.

ill keep your advice in mind though. thanks
November 16, 2006 2:13:56 AM

I think you can save about $50 or $60 on your mobo. Something like the GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 that was recommended to me in my post earlier seems like a good enough board for what you're using it for. Should be able to pick up a decent case w/o a PSU for that price.

The X1950Pro is a better card than the 7900GS, but I hear the 7900 OCs very well. Not a huge price difference w/o the rebate. If you needed the extra cash to go towards your case, the 7900GS will be just fine.
November 16, 2006 2:17:48 AM

Quote:
little harsh dont you think?

no, he says he wants a C2D system to surf, watch movies and do school work, that's a given with the most basic of systems.
Then he also wants to watch TV, do something with music, some kind of editing whether it's photo, video or music i don't know, then on top of that it must be a (mild) gaming platform as well.
What's a mild gaming rig....solitaire, hearts, checkers......?

No, i don't think i was being harsh just (brutally) honest.....lol
I can't help the way i am, I'm sorry if i hurt anybodys feelings...
!