Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do you pw protect a shared folder/resource on network?

Last response: in Networking
March 7, 2006 12:02:19 AM

Here's my issue... I have 4 computers on a network, all running through a switch via DSL. I run Windows XP on all of them. Computer 1 has folders that I have set as shared. I want to use computer 2 and ONLY computer 2 to access the shared folders on Computer 1. If computer 3 or 4 should try to access these shared folders, they would either require a password or access would simply not be granted unless computer 2 made the request. How do I go about doing that?
In other words, I own 2 of the 4 computers on the network, and I want to be able to exchange files between those two, while not allowing anyone else on the network to access any files on my two computers.
Thanks in advance.
March 7, 2006 5:17:02 PM

On the computers that you want to share files. Activate file and printer sharing if you havn't already. Then do a right click on the folder and setup up sharing, add a password to protect. Since you do not won't others to access the files do not set to auto connect. That way if a user sets at one of your computer they will not have access to the other computer. Most cases the local user will have access. You may be able to setup access under a diferent ID. That would/may require all users to enter a password.

Some routers can block interaction between users.
March 7, 2006 5:35:57 PM

Yo yo yo, you completely lost me. I'm fairly adept when it comes to computers, but I don't think we're on the same page. My whole question revolves around 'HOW', not 'WHAT'. I know what I have to do, but I can't figure out how. For example, you said something about setting a password. The problem is there IS no place for a password that I can find. I need more detailed instructions.
I right-click the folder I want to share, then click 'Properties', then click the 'Sharing' tab, at which point I check the box that says, "Share this folder on the network". There's nothing on this screen about password protecting this folder however.
Related resources
March 7, 2006 11:16:42 PM

verizon, i think we are asking the same question.

i think windows xp does not have the feature that blue is talking about, and i know that Windows 2000 and Windows 98 do have the password feature. Anyway, if anyone of you have the idea of adding the password to share folder/file, please post either here or in my thread. I really appreciate your help
March 8, 2006 4:38:16 AM

Or just go to the files properties and set to private which would prevent other computers access and prevents from opening it and make it password protected so that other can not access it even from your own computer. :D 
March 8, 2006 1:34:52 PM

No, you can't make just any folder private. You can only do that with the folders in your own Windows XP profile, such as "My Documents". And again, we're dealing with Windows XP. You can't password protect folders in Windows XP like you can in Windows 2000 or 98.
March 8, 2006 2:01:30 PM

Are you running Windows XP Home Edition or Professional ?

I would recommend setting permissions on the share. In a network (not workgroup) situation you can simply browse a list of users and select which ones have access to the share. In a workgroup you will only be able to add local users (i.e. users on your machine).

One solution would be to create local users with the same username and passwords as the users you want to have access, then add these users on the share permission. These users should be able to access the share and others will get an access denied message.

You can get more sneaky by making the sharename end in a $ symbol (e.g. secret$). This means the share is hidden and will not show up on browse lists.

Let me know if you need more info

Regards,
March 8, 2006 2:16:33 PM

Hey Hubbardt... thanks for the info. I like the sneaky idea about adding a $ to the end of the share name. Works like a charm. I wasn't 100% clear on the rest of what you wrote, so I think I'll stick to the $ idea.
Thanks again.

Oh and to answer your question, I use WinXP Pro. Also, I'm not concerned about local users accessing any files, because I'm the only local user on my two computers.
March 8, 2006 2:21:16 PM

Sweet !

:p 
December 10, 2013 11:27:50 PM

Verizon_DSL_tech said:
Here's my issue... I have 4 computers on a network, all running through a switch via DSL. I run Windows XP on all of them. Computer 1 has folders that I have set as shared. I want to use computer 2 and ONLY computer 2 to access the shared folders on Computer 1. If computer 3 or 4 should try to access these shared folders, they would either require a password or access would simply not be granted unless computer 2 made the request. How do I go about doing that?
In other words, I own 2 of the 4 computers on the network, and I want to be able to exchange files between those two, while not allowing anyone else on the network to access any files on my two computers.
Thanks in advance.

Here's what you gonna do. Let's say we're going to setup computer "A"

START>RUN>CMD type net user guest <password>
Press ENTER and then reboot "A"
Once "A" is up, use "B" to access "A" and see if it asks for the password you choosed.
!