wayytoolostt

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I have an odd problem. I can see the new hard drive in device manager, but it does not appear anywhere else. I tried using the windows disc to format the drive, it did not appear. I tried using the disc management feature to format and the drive does not appear in there either. I want to format the drive, but cannot find the drive! Any suggestions? I am running pro and the drive is a samsung spinpoint 250 gb

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I have an odd problem. I can see the new hard drive in device manager, but it does not appear anywhere else. I tried using the windows disc to format the drive, it did not appear. I tried using the disc management feature to format and the drive does not appear in there either. I want to format the drive, but cannot find the drive! Any suggestions? I am running pro and the drive is a samsung spinpoint 250 gb

Not to be smug here ,,but did you Fdisk the drive before you tried to format it,you did not indicate in your post,and,check the jumpers on the hdd XP loves cable select,if after the above you still cannot see the drive RETURN it ASAP..
Device manager may well see the hdd ,,,BUT if it hasen't been fdisked and formatted XP WILL NEVER see it.
And too if you can access the samsung web site get the software for the drive,
but you still have to fdisk the hdd 1st...good luck..

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

Not to be smug here ,,but did you Fdisk the drive before you tried to format it,you did not indicate in your post,and,check the jumpers on the hdd XP loves cable select,if after the above you still cannot see the drive RETURN it ASAP..
Device manager may well see the hdd ,,,BUT if it hasen't been fdisked and formatted XP WILL NEVER see it.
And too if you can access the samsung web site get the software for the drive,
but you still have to fdisk the hdd 1st...good luck..

Agree with dokk in a way.

If you get the software from the samsung site it will deal with it, in fact get it from the seagate site or the WD site and they will all allow the installation of any HDD, whether it is installed or not. I imgaine that they do the Fdisk for you and will arrange files transfers etc. They will pick up what is in device manager and make it work.

rcs2749

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
If you see the drive in the device manager then you should see it in disk management. You have to initialize the drive and create the partition(s) before you can format it.

hammerhead2

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
what is the drive ATA or SATA ? Samsung has spinpiont
drives (several versions ) that match in either flavor, and if it
is an additional drive or single. If it is an additional drive
check the bios to see if the channel is disabled. If Sata is
the channel is disabled also and are you running
SATA or SATA2 ( drive and Sata Channel) if channel is SATA and
the drive is SATA2 you might need to set a jumper on the drive
to work on SATA (1), Just some thoughts ( head ache now)
best of luck

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003

If you get the software from the samsung site it will deal with it, in fact get it from the seagate site or the WD site and they will all allow the installation of any HDD, whether it is installed or not. I imgaine that they do the Fdisk for you and will arrange files transfers etc. They will pick up what is in device manager and make it work.

Why would you load up your pc with all that redundant software that usually just sits in your tray and takes up cpu/memory? You don't need any of that crap to partition, format and use hard drive.

Why would you load up your pc with all that redundant software that usually just sits in your tray and takes up cpu/memory? You don't need any of that crap to partition, format and use hard drive.

It doesn't actually sit in the 'tray' its used purely to set the MBR bootable / non-bootable flags, and do the formatting and transfer etc. actually makes life very easy. Once its done it job you can delete it if you want.

Tools are there to be used. If there is no detriment to using it then why not...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Uh... I still say it's a disk management issue... as in, he doesn't know wtf disk management is and to intialize/create primary partition on it...

sturm

Splendid
You do not need to Fdisk a drive before installing in a computer running Windows XP. I just installed a 400 gig drive in one and did all my partitioning and formating from disk management.
Windows 98/ME maybe but not XP.

As for the orgional problem it should show up in drive management paritioned or not, it doesn't matter. If it's not then check your disk drive controllors under device manager and make sure they are all enabled and set for udma, not pio mode.

wayytoolostt

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
If you see the drive in the device manager then you should see it in disk management. You have to initialize the drive and create the partition(s) before you can format it.

First off, thank you all for the overwhelming responses.
Now a few things:
Yes, it is jumpered correctly
I used both WD and Seagate software, neither showed the drive
Lastly, in response to this quote. You are right. I see it in manager and should see it in disk management. However, my problem is that this isn't true. It is nowhere in disk management, all I see in that is my boot drive and my cd drive.

Now, I am curious about the FDisk idea, only because I have installed about 6 or so hard drives between myself and helping out friends and have never had to do this. Is that a possible causation or is my drive just screwy?

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

First off, thank you all for the overwhelming responses.
Now a few things:
Yes, it is jumpered correctly
I used both WD and Seagate software, neither showed the drive
Lastly, in response to this quote. You are right. I see it in manager and should see it in disk management. However, my problem is that this isn't true. It is nowhere in disk management, all I see in that is my boot drive and my cd drive.

Now, I am curious about the FDisk idea, only because I have installed about 6 or so hard drives between myself and helping out friends and have never had to do this. Is that a possible causation or is my drive just screwy?

?!?!?? You've NEVER !!,, had to fdisk a HDD ???.
Never heard of such a thing,,,,???..
Nevertheless,,,check the hdd with fdisk,if you can,and know how,,,Because if fdisk cannot see it them RMA it FAST,or get another from your source/store,do not waste time playing with a potentially snafued hdd..
Side note::: UNfdisked hdd's can and will fail because windoze IS only a GUI riding on top of "good ol dos" which needs the hdd fdisked to properly have the appropiate fat and partition tables,which must be of a predetermined size and at a specfic location,otherwise snafu....good luck....

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Nevertheless,,,check the hdd with fdisk,if you can,and know how,,,Because if fdisk cannot see it them RMA it FAST,or get another from your source/store,do not waste time playing with a potentially snafued hdd..
Side note::: UNfdisked hdd's can and will fail because windoze IS only a GUI riding on top of "good ol dos" which needs the hdd fdisked to properly have the appropiate fat and partition tables,which must be of a predetermined size and at a specfic location,otherwise snafu....good luck....

Ummm ... what?

I haven't used FDISK in about 7 years.

FDISK should NEVER be run on any modern hard drive or modern motherboard. It hasn't been updated since Windows 98. It's not 48-bit LBA compliant (some versions aren't even properly 28-bit LBA compliant).

Windows is not a "GUI running on top of good ol' DOS". That was true only of Windows 95, 98, and ME. Windows NT, 2000, and XP are completely different. There is no DOS in them.

With Windows XP, drives are formatted to the NTFS file system. There are no more "FAT tables".

Under Windows XP, nothing but Disk Manager is required to partition and format a hard drive. You do not need to download any software from Samsung's site, Western Digital's site, or anywhere else. There are no "drivers" required.

The bottom line is, if your BIOS sees the hard drive, then Windows (Device Manager and Disk Manager) should as well. If your BIOS doesn't see it or if the BIOS does but Windows doesn't, then something's wrong hardware-wise -- either cables, jumpers, the drive, or the motherboard.

To help you further, we need more information. We don't even know if your drive is IDE or SATA. What is your motherboard? How is it hooked up (i.e. what other devices do you have attached, what are their jumper settings, etc.)?

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

Ummm ... what?

I haven't used FDISK in about 7 years.

FDISK should NEVER be run on any modern hard drive or modern motherboard. It hasn't been updated since Windows 98. It's not 48-bit LBA compliant (some versions aren't even properly 28-bit LBA compliant).

Windows is not a "GUI running on top of good ol' DOS". That was true only of Windows 95, 98, and ME. Windows NT, 2000, and XP are completely different. There is no DOS in them.

With Windows XP, drives are formatted to the NTFS file system. There are no more "FAT tables".

Under Windows XP, nothing but Disk Manager is required to partition and format a hard drive. You do not need to download any software from Samsung's site, Western Digital's site, or anywhere else. There are no "drivers" required.

The bottom line is, if your BIOS sees the hard drive, then Windows (Device Manager and Disk Manager) should as well. If your BIOS doesn't see it or if the BIOS does but Windows doesn't, then something's wrong hardware-wise -- either cables, jumpers, the drive, or the motherboard.

To help you further, we need more information. We don't even know if your drive is IDE or SATA. What is your motherboard? How is it hooked up (i.e. what other devices do you have attached, what are their jumper settings, etc.)?

Not trying to start an argument here .. Haven't used fdisk in seven years..??? HMMMM :) "Different strokes,,,."
But if you go into windows/system32 and setup the mem.exe command to run in full screen/do not close on exit,,it will clearly show that dos is loaded high,it will also show approx 655360 conventional memory,amount of ram available to dos,largest executable program size and available extended and xms memory.This is clearly a dos statement as windoze cannot see contigious memory which is mapped thru the extended memory manager and the "big memory driver" G'day..........

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Not trying to start an argument here .. Haven't used fdisk in seven years..??? HMMMM :) "Different strokes,,,."
But if you go into windows/system32 and setup the mem.exe command to run in full screen/do not close on exit,,it will clearly show that dos is loaded high,it will also show approx 655360 conventional memory,amount of ram available to dos,largest executable program size and available extended and xms memory.This is clearly a dos statement as windoze cannot see contigious memory which is mapped thru the extended memory manager and the "big memory driver" G'day..........

No, no argument. Just discussing the inner workings of modern OS's.

The command window that you can bring up under Windows NT/2000/XP is the Win32 command environment, it is not DOS. mem.exe (and several other programs that you can run from the Windows command environment) are there only for backwards compatibility. The Win32 OS's (NT/2000/XP) have a subsystem that they can start up when required called WoWexec.exe. This stands for "Windows on Windows Executable" and is the 16-bit Windows compatibility environment subsystem. There are a lot of true DOS and Windows 3.1 programs that will still run under Windows NT/2000/XP because they run inside the WoW subsystem.

The WoW subsystem is technically an emulation environment. Programs that run in that environment are "fooled" into thinking they are running on a true DOS system, even though they aren't. mem.exe is one of these. It reports exactly what the emulation environment is set up to be. (i.e. Conventional memory, expanded memory, extended memory, DOS loaded high, etc.) even though none of those things are actually true.

To see it in action, run a true DOS program (or Windows 3.11 program) under Windows XP. Open task manager and you will see the wowexec.exe running.

As far as Windows memory management, it no longer treats memory as conventional, expanded, or extended. Those terms only applied under DOS, when the processor was running in "real mode". As soon as the ntkernel.exe loads on NT/2000/XP, the processor is shifted to protected mode, which allows all memory up to the limit of the processor or OS to be accessed contiguously. The ntkernel.exe memory manager is a full paged, logical memory manager. The logical mapping of memory doesn't correspond to the physical mapping of memory anymore. If you were to look at the physical memory map of your machine, you'd find that heap space for the different executables that are open is all spread out and fragmented all over physical RAM (with some pages paged to disk). But Windows treats it all the same.

Anyway, sorry to the original poster for the off-topic post. We can still help you on your hard drive issue, just answer the questions I asked before.