diox8tony

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
i have a Pentium 4 (don't judge me) 3.2ghz HT and once when i went into dxdiag i noticed it says "Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.2GHz (2 CPUs)"

2 CPUS??! what does that mean?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
i have a Pentium 4 (don't judge me) 3.2ghz HT and once when i went into dxdiag i noticed it says "Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.2GHz (2 CPUs)"

2 CPUS??! what does that mean?

And to add to add to the explanation of what hyperthreading means.. You should have seen "Two CPUs" many times before now. Device Manager will show two CPUs, as will task Manager, and any motherboard monitoring program.

it basically tricks windows into thinking theres two cpus so it sort of handles more apps more efficently (aka so like gaming and video rendering share the cpu better)

it originally was intels way of introducing multithreading into mainstream and ramping up things that way to eventually introduce real multithreading through multiple cores, amd stamped out that idea and kinda destroyed intels plans, in a way intel was doing things in a better way since even till today nothing is really designed properly for dual/multiple cores.

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
When Tool 462 gets the same treatment that DaSickNinja got...Can see it now...(cue clody fadeback/memory thing)

"It's a hot night, and Ponk in wandering around Mr.Greens vineyard. He's been looking after the vineyard for 10 years and doing a pretty good job of it protecting the grapes from rufty.

And then he spot's him! Tool 462 in Mr.Greens vineyard with himself...And a picknick basket. He suspected more than picknickery is on his mind...

And he was right! No sooner had laid down the assortment of friuts and deilscious (spelt wrong on purpose) foods, Tool 462 was attempting rufty in the vineyard. He had to do something, or the only wine they would be drinking would cheatue a la man love. That's a wine you can't buy from tesco, or even budgens! He had to stop him...

He couldn't stop him. He was all over him...Then ponk was all over him! he really should of been mourning the death of my beautiful career...But all he could think about was HHHMMMM...Rufty, RUfty, RUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTYYYYYYYY!!!!!

diox8tony

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
So how big is the increase of preformance with HT vs. without HT?

and of course that depends on what programs I am using...