First time in a long time

Tergiver

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I've decided to build my next computer to save some coin. I haven't built a computer in more than a decade so I'm a little out of touch.

This is the list of componants I've compiled so far (all from newegg.com). I would appreciate any tips or suggestions about my choices:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW ATX Mid Tower Case
FSP Group 700W Quad. SLi Power Supply
eVGA nForce 680i SLI ATX Motherboard
eVGA GeForce 8800GTX (x1 for now, 2nd in a month or so)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz
CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM SATA (x2)
SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM

How is the internal sound? I may add a Creative Labs X-Fi later on or cannibalize my old Audigy (which has always had EAX issues and so I always leave EAX off).

Is 700w PSU enough for with everything (including duel 8800GTXs)?

Do I need better cooling then the stock case fans or the cpu cooler that comes with the E6700? Quieter cooling? I'm not planning to OC initially, I want a solid and stable system to begin with.

I looked at the Antec 900 case and really like the airflow there, but I read that you can't stick a pair of 8800GTXs in there. Is this true?

Any installation issues I should be aware of? I no longer own much in the way of tools, will I need more than a screwdriver and pliers?

Anything else I should know before I sign the check?

TBlaar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
all looks good to me. i would, maybe, rethink the power supply, seeing that you will add another 8800 later. 700 should be okay, but you dont wanna buy bigger later.

also, why dvd-rom and not rw? cannot be too big a difference in price...

one more thing, but this is just me...
if you want your harddrives to still be quiet in 3 years, then get seagates.

Tergiver

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I have the COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 and I know that a nVidia 8800GTX will not fit unless you mod the hard drive area.

By 'mod' you mean cutting it down or moving it?

Anyone know of a case that I can stuff all of this into without having to alter the case? I'll spend as much as $150 on a case if I don't have to alter it.

Tergiver

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
also, why dvd-rom and not rw? cannot be too big a difference in price...
one more thing, but this is just me...
if you want your harddrives to still be quiet in 3 years, then get seagates.

I have no use for a writable DVD and prefer not to add the complexity of features I don't use.

I've always owned WD drives. I have 9 working drives right now, at least 3 of which are 8 years or older. Maybe I've been lucky?

advcomp2019

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Yes, I mean altering. I measured my case with the 11 inch long card, and it would be around 2 to 3 inches into the hard drive bays.

Edit: Unless nVidia is going to make the cards smaller.