Does it matter what 680i MB I get?

komplexKaos

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Does anyone know if I have to buy a BFG 680i MB to get the most out of my BFG 8800 GTX? Because on their website it says I'll get more if I use the combo. But I kinda wanted to buy something else like Asus or Abit. Any suggestions on which MB to buy?. I want to OC but it's going to be air cooled for now. I don't plan on doing SLI or RAID anytime soon because I'm broke, so here is the list of stuff i already bought.

BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
Intel C2D E6600
2x Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4GB total)
WD Raptor WD1500AHFD 150GB SATA
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Antec TruePower TRIO 650W PS
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Full Tower

Does anyone know if I have to buy a BFG 680i MB to get the most out of my BFG 8800 GTX? Because on their website it says I'll get more if I use the combo. But I kinda wanted to buy something else like Asus or Abit. Any suggestions on which MB to buy?. I want to OC but it's going to be air cooled for now. I don't plan on doing SLI or RAID anytime soon because I'm broke, so here is the list of stuff i already bought.

Intel C2D E6600

any high end dual channel ddr2 mobo will do (eg 965+ chipset from intel etc) - its the processor that does all the work

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
It's not really going to make a difference, matching BFG MB to BFG video card. Motherboards do make a different, and they're probably just trying to claim that their motherboard is technically superior. That may be the case (I don't know, I've never checked out a BFG MB), but it's certainly not going to have extra special bonus points because it's a BFG 680i with a BFG 8800GTX.

Look at all the motherboards compatible with your other hardware, and pick the best one that fits your budget.

komplexKaos

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Thanks for the info, I thought maybe I would get extra special bonus points because it's a BFG 680i with a BFG 8800 GTX. But what about the claim that I can only use another BFG 8800 GTX for SLI, is this true?

arima

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Intel C2D E6600

No wonder you're broke! 8O Damn i'm envious already.

komplexKaos

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
No wonder you're broke! 8O Damn i'm envious already.

I also have

Sony DRU-820A Double Layer DVD±RW
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Antec Hard Drive Cooler
Viewsonic VX922 19in LCD Monitor
D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510
Kenwood 5.1 HTB

but no MB :cry: so i just sit and stare at all my stuff getting upset cause I don't know which 680i MB to buy. ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE? I can't take another day of staring at all my components :x

spawn_eternal

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
in my opinion if i was in your shoes i would look at one of the two following mobos:

http://www.asus.com/products3.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=397&slname=NVIDIA%20nForce®%20680i%20SLI™

these two look so gorgeous. its almost like, "hey baby, how you doing". i have always been a fan of asus. nvidia also recommended using an nforce 680i chipset with their new codename g80 chip. if you go for another chipset like the intel 965 then you will be limited to one vga card only (not that you need another one with your 8800gtx and all). this may be a non-logical move because intel chipsets currently do not support sli, and it could restrict you with future upgrades. also keep in mind that these 2 asus mobos have 3 pci-express X16 slots. this might come in handy for another vga card as well as a possible physics card.

komplexKaos

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
yeah but for an extra 100 should I go with the Asus Striker Extreme. Well in either case they are out of stock every where :(

komplexKaos

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I don't know what to do. I want to wait for the Asus MB but I don't know when they'll have them in stock. And I checked my local Compusa and they have the BFG and EVGA 680i MB in stock. But I know that Asus builds quality products but I am impatience, what to do?

spawn_eternal

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
all good things come to those who wait they say. i know its difficult to look at the incomplete pc (im sure i would have felt the same), but as you said yourself, you like asus and believe in their quality products. i think you would kick youself if you spend a lot of money on a board (like the bfg) and find that you are not happy with it. im sure you would then feel that you should have waited. i can see that you gut feeling is uncertain about the bfg etc, and that you feel asus is better, so stick with your gut feeling. i always say: "if your mind doesnt say yes please, im a 100% sure, i want one of those please, then let it be".

komplexKaos

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
ok I guess your right but I hope it makes an appearance soon or I just might break down :cry:

*edit

Talk about getting kicked in the nuts. After I wrote this reply I checked my email and ZZF sent me an email saying that the striker was back in stock but when I checked it still says BACK ORDER, WTF would they do that :evil:

komplexKaos

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Spawn, I forgot to ask you, what do you think of the IN9 32X-Max from Abit?, I know they also build quality products.

*edit

compared to the P5N32-E SLI from Asus

spawn_eternal

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
i would just have told you not to go for abit straight away, as i do not like them for personal reasons. but i re-thought it through and had a quick look at the IN9 32X-Max. first thing i noticed, it uses passive heatpipes to cool the vrm's, northbridge & southbridge, just like other makes i.e. gigabyte, asus etc. i do however think that the heatpipe solution from the asus ones i showed you are superior. reason for his is that the coper fins used in the abit looks flimsy and doesn't surround your cpu as on the asus mobo. now this is good for the asus as the heatpipes will be cooled a lot more because it is getting wind created by the cpu fan. more wind passing through more fins results in better cooling. another downside on the IN9 32X-Max is that it only uses 5 phase power to supply the cpu, whereas the asus mobos use 8 phase power. this will ensure a more stable supply of power to your cpu and will compliment overclocking more. if you are a big time gamer and modder you would also appreciate the asus' i/o lcd display located at the back of you i/o shield. it even lights up so you find those damn holes to plug in your cables at night when you might be LANing at a friends place. so in short, i think the asus should be the better buy.

spawn_eternal

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
i would just have told you not to go for abit straight away, as i do not like them for personal reasons. but i re-thought it through and had a quick look at the IN9 32X-Max. first thing i noticed, it uses passive heatpipes to cool the vrm's, northbridge & southbridge, just like other makes i.e. gigabyte, asus etc. i do however think that the heatpipe solution from the asus ones i showed you are superior. reason for his is that the coper fins used in the abit looks flimsy and doesn't surround your cpu as on the asus mobo. now this is good for the asus as the heatpipes will be cooled a lot more because it is getting wind created by the cpu fan. more wind passing through more fins results in better cooling. another downside on the IN9 32X-Max is that it only uses 5 phase power to supply the cpu, whereas the asus mobos use 8 phase power. this will ensure a more stable supply of power to your cpu and will compliment overclocking more. if you are a big time gamer and modder you would also appreciate the asus' i/o lcd display located at the back of you i/o shield. it even lights up so you find those damn holes to plug in your cables at night when you might be LANing at a friends place. so in short, i think the asus should be the better buy.

komplexKaos

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
So I should opt for the Striker Extreme instead of the P5N32-E SLI :?

*edit

Do you or anyone know or have an idea when these boards are shipping?

spawn_eternal

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
i had a look on asus' web page and could not find any major dif between the two. all i can really see is that the one has 2 extra esata (external sata) outputs and the other the i/o lcd. so i can't really say. i would probably take the striker extreme as it does have that lcd display which could come in handy. its got one heatpipe extra on the northbridge, and lastly, it is a "republic of gamers edition". the name striker extreme compared to the P5N32-E SLI also suggests that it should be higher end than the other. i mean look at the top-end socket am2 amd version asus mobo. its called the crosshair, not am32.... blah blah blah. so if asus stuck with their naming convention then the striker extreme should be 'the one'. i dont know if this helps much but make with it as you want. i think we will have a better idea on the two mobos the minute it becomes available and magazines and web based reviewers starts reviewing the two. then we might get better clarification.