is 8800gtx worth buying now?

betrayer_

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
im gonna buy a pc this december and am wondering wether its for going for the 8800gtx. I've been savin for a long time to get this rig and wanna get a killer system.

specs:
Mobo: ASUS P5N32-E SLI
RAM: 1GB Kingston PC6400 DDR2 800 HyperX
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 250GB
GPU: ASUS EN8800GTX
Mouse: Logitech® G7 Laser Cordless Mouse
Keyboard: Logitech® Cordless Desktop® S 510
PSU: CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W (RS-850-EMBA)
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami
Display: UltraSharp 2407WFP

Aramane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Yes, yes it is.

If you want a "killer" system you will have a 8800gtx. Just take a look at the benchmarks. Also when DX10 games come out and you bought a DX9 card you will be definetely regreting it.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
If you dont mind the premium you'll pay for that card at this time than I suppose it's worth it. Lets be honest, top of the line toys are always fun to have :lol:

betrayer_

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
i know the thing rocks. but do you think the price will drop a great deal in say a month or two. and wat abt the r600?

i'll be really pissed if my card goes to second best before i can bast in the glory :D

Aramane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
First off fellas, it's BASK in glory.

Will the price drop significantly in the next month or so? I'd guess no.

I don't know much about the r600 and it's price/performance, so I can't really say much about that.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i cant see a cpu there

whilst the i do not think the 8800gtx will not drop in price all that much over the next 2 months i suspect that it will be considerably cheaper in 6 (when i plan on upgrading) now also bring in to the equation second gen 8800's (8850 maybe) and the r600, then also quad core and the fact that Vista will have been out for a while so people will have ironed out initiall problemsi dont know in my personal opinion your better off waiting,
but i suppose in 6 months ill want to wait for something else. up to you at the end of the day if you buy it now you will have bragging rights for the next 2 months and be able to play dx10 on its release
as i say tho my 6800gt can last a little longer afaic

seanie

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I'd wait until Vista comes out, and see how the card handles DX10 games e.g crysis, if it was me i'd probably wait until the next one comes out like the 8900GT/X by then the r600 should be out and then make your decision. but it's up to yourself, BTW does know if there is any benchies of the 8800GT/X running crysis DX10 mode. oh yeah you'd probably want to add another gig of ram to that system. and i have a question too is there much of a difference between proformance and cheap ram(other than latency's) in my system i have OCZ platium pc3200 2,2,2,5 and to be honest i cant tell the difference, i planning on upgrading in 6 months and want to get four gigs of ram but i dont want to pay crazy money for it i was thinking of getting cheap ram with high clock and reasonable timings(DDR2)

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
If you have the money, and are willing to spend it, then it is worth it.

It is a seriously killer card.

Sure, 8900s and R600 will be coming out also, but there's always something new coming.

Looking at your system, 1gb of RAM will bottleneck some games, so you might want to find a good combination.

Personally, I wouldn't run a 8800GTX with 1gb of RAM.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Yep, card rocks. I have one, and posted 10,691 in 3dmark06 with my e6600 and 2 gig of ram.

I have the tsunami as well, you have to cut a notch in the HD cage to get the card to fit, as it is 1/2" too long. Checked a lot of other cases, same length, and decided a small notch was ok.

betrayer_

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
gonna be buying an C2D E6600.

and abt the ram, is it better to go for 2gig of cheaper ram than 1gig of performance? coz this system is pretty brutal for my wallet.

i could go for more ram and maybe e6700 if i didnt have to buy the monitor. but then i need the monitor too. dont think a packerd bell 17" is gonna do much to show of this system

and guys, i've been waiting WAAYYYYY too long. i need a lean mean machine NOW.

dmantech

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
I'm also trying to decide but I think I may wait until R600 comes out to compare and who knows 8900 series may be out by that time. What I must say is that you need to add more RAM at least 2Gigs.

Aramane

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I'd get 1 gig of quality, then when I had the money, get another.

Or you could get an e6400 for your processor. That'll save you 100$ right there.

Surferosa

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Well, if youve gotta buy now, I'd definitely get the 8800 gtx. It is the only dx10 card out at the moment, so its the only card that it future proofed upto that point.

Like others have said you could wait for an eternity waiting for the next big thing- only its slightly different in this circumstance. dx10 & Vista are just around the corner; and massively impressive though the 8800gtx scores are, youve got to remember they are dx9 scores. In a years time, the current benchmarks will be completely irrelevant; especially after the first few dx10 games are on the market.

However, if you delayed your purchase until february / march, you will at least have the benefit of weighing up the 8800 against the R600. Id also expect more info on Nvidias next offerings; more benchmarks / comparisons on both and generally more info at your disposal.

To me, 2/3 months is a short time to wait for a product that should last 2/3 years (depending on your future requirements). Ultimately, it may still be the 8800; but, by then you'll be sure & I'll be surprised if it costs more then than it does today :)

Personally, I'd buy a 1950 right now, and wait a few months till the r600 comes out, Vista, and DX10 games start to ramp up.
I just cannot see paying $600 for a 8800 card right now, that really won't be able to show it's stuff for a few months yet. By that time, the competition will have something, there will probably be a better or less expensive 8800.
If money is any concern, which I assume it must be since you state you have been saving for a while, I'd wait a while and see what happens with the DX10 cards around the first of March.

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
no, its over kill. betweek 7950 and the 8800 you will not notice the difference in currect DX9 games.

there is no DX10 games out.

I am waiting for Vista and DX10 games to come out first before i get a DX10 card

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
hi betrayer_
i think you will be better off with a cheaper card like 7600 gt or 7900 gs or x1900 series whichever suits the budget.that way you wont need the new monitor for now.
come march and you will be able to see the price /performance of r600 as well.
besides when ati will release its line of dx10 cards nvidia will HAVE to drop the prices.also there are no apps right now to make full use of 8800 gtx.you can play all the games at max settings at 1600*1200 or at least 1280*1024 on a 7900 gs or 7600 gt except oblivion.
maybe by then 8900 series will be out and ati's line of cards will surely be out so yu will see the competition for yourself.
right now get 2 gb of ram at least and believe me you will be able to play all the games out there at max settings except oblivion of course..
in march buy whatever card suits your budget sell your previous gen card to a friend or on ebay or whatever...buy a monitor, add 2 gb of RAM (making it 4 gb) and you will surely amire your decision of waiting.. :wink:
and TBH you wont even be waiting for anything if you go by above scenario coz you will be able to play all the games till then...
but if yo go by the current build that you were thinking have fun with your setup as it will surely be a system to reckon with...
and i was too lazy to read all the posts so please dont bash me up if anybody told you the same...

P.S. i wrote all this cafter reading your question only.i read no other post so i dont know if you have any other requirement except gaming.this scheme is made keeping gamis in mind.
even i am waiting for june july to come to overhaul my system. :lol:
best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/G80-Dynamic-Branching-20x-slow...X1950XT you may want to have a look at this, this is what i meant when i said wait and see how it actually performs in DX10 games
another reason to do what i suggested.....
wait for dx10 apps buddy...

rama

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
so it is true that the new dx10 gpu's support dx9 as well. a good vid for 300 is xfx 7900gt 520 mhz 256MB. you can turn everything on and the flash makes it quiet. also fully dx10 programs will not run on xp but according pc gamer there is a version of dx 9 not out that will allow dx 9 programs to run on vista.

chadwickvm

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003
I think its worth it. My computer blew up about 3 months ago so I'll be building at around the same time. I'm definitely going to pick up a DX10 card of some type when I do.

However, in my case I'll probably be building around late Jan/early Feb. For some reason I'm expecting a good deal of technology to come out around then (aside from Vista) so I'm hoping we'll see some interesting price shifts. However, I would advise building a few weeks after the big X-Mas rush.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Heres the thing, i really thought iw as going to buy this card on release...but then i thought to myself..wait wait wait...why am i paying 650 bucks for a video card..when..A. there is no dx 10 games yet. B. my 7800 gtx runs everygame flawlessly (except oblivion on the highest settings) including Dark messiah on max detail. And C. Alot of games that were supposed to be released in jan..(crysis , bioshock, Brothers in arms HH) that i was ready to buy the video card for, all got pushed back till after march. so what reason is left to buy this card? except for the fact that youl be able to crank resolutions up without a loss of frames (i for one, am completely satisfied with 1280x1024, and im sure alot of pc gamers here, dont have a 30 inch wide screen monitor to play on for thsoe insane resolutions...in which i dont see a difference in anyways, except screen size) Unless you really wanna go above 1280x1024 in resolution for bragging rights, nothing more, wait till some good new graphical games come out, along with the R600, i garauntee there will be big price drops, and who knows, ATIs card might just be much better then the 80 series cards, at a cheaper price, and this is coming from a nvidia fan, but i dont go by namebrand anymore, i go by performance.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Universal truths about buying PC hardware.

1) There will always be something better out soon. Accept it.

2) There is always something technically wrong about anything if you dig deep enough. Accept it.

3) Best performance/price ratio means nothing. You either buy the best performer at the moment or if you can't afford it you keep stepping down models in reverse-performance order until you find one you can afford.
If you just go by best price/performance you end up with a ghetto-shitty system because the best price-perfomance is a used 386 running windows 3.11, because its worth nothing.

4) You never need to wonder if the new one coming down the pipe will beat the current champ:

4a) The newest nvidia always beats the newer ATI which always beats the old nvidia which always beats the older ATI.

4b) The newest Intel always beats the newer AMD which always beats the old Intel which always beats the older AMD

5) Prices on new desirable things don't drop significantly until they are no longer as new or desirable. (i.e. when you dont want it any more ). No the price on the new hot video card or CPU is not gonna magically drop by half next week for no reason other than you can't afford it now.

6) If you put off buying until the best reviewed parts are available you will wait for ever, because just when its actually available to buy, a new review about some new thing will come out saying how it kills the thing you were just gonna buy.

7) Accept that no matter what you order online today, it will be outdated by the time the UPS guy is on your doorstep.

Dear noobs: Accept these universal truths so you can stop posting the same damn questions over and over.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/G80-Dynamic-Branching-20x-slower-X1950XTX-ftopict209123.html you may want to have a look at this, this is what i meant when i said wait and see how it actually performs in DX10 games
Folding@home performance has nothing to do with Direct X10 performance, and until Direct X10 is released we won't really know how well the 8800GTX performs in it.