Need Help with minor/major home LAN problem

kutarkvalidus

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003
Hi guys, i appreciate any help you may be able to give me on the matter, but first let me explain the problem and give some info on my setup:

I am running 4 comps off of a linksys BEFSW11 wireless router, 2 through ethernet, 2 through wireless. Using LNE100TX cards on my comp, and a realtek on the fileserver i have. All computers are on win2k SP4 except for one on win98, which is an old laptop we only use for internet access around the house.

The problem occurred after a LAN party i had gone too. Everything there was set up for DHCP so i changed no settings on my computer or NICS, i get home, set everything back up, and it will no longer access the workgroup under network neighborhood.

the error it gives me is "workgroup is not accessible. The list of servers for this workgroup is not available"

It gives the error after about 30 seconds of 0 responsiveness in the window.

It seems to be a problem with only this comp, as i can get login to the server from other comps, but whenever i try to access my main comp, it cannot find it.

all the computers show up in the DHCP tables on the router, i can ping and tracert all the computers, from both sides. I've attempted changing the workgroup to other (matching) names on all the comps to no avail.

I've been trying to deduce the problem for about a week now. A few days ago i tried updating the firmware on the router, which caused it to work 1 try, then continued the same problem. I'm almost to the point of picking up another 120gig HDD (why not, more space always better) and doing a fresh install of win2k.

Thank you so much for any help you may be able to provide.

Edit: just on a side note, yes they are all on the same workgroup, they are not set to the same IP address, and i have tried automatic and manual configuration of the NICs. Also, all access to internet and anything related to that still works flawlessly.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kutarkvalidus on 09/17/03 03:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

sturm

Splendid
Have you tried running the network wizard on the computer that doesnt work?
Sounds like a permission problem. Does it ask for a password or anything else when trying to access the workgroup?
I am not the best person for this but just some ideas that come to mind.

kutarkvalidus

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003
It doesnt ask for a password or anything as it cant seem to find the workgroup at all. It effectively freezes the system for 30 seconds before it tells me it could not find the list of servers for the workgroup. If i try to access from outside it essentially does the same thing, except just plain ole says it couldnt be found.