400 watt power supply

heres the problem

i can get x windows to work
but once i reboot all the configs disaper

it seems to have to do with the ati radeon and the x windows

it couruppts libarries

not related to kde, nwome. ect..

any help would be very welcomed

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The configs...disappear?

That's just odd.

Does it load the agpgart.o and radeon.o DRI module on boot? If not, you'll need to stick the following lines somewhere in your init scripts, so that the modules get loaded before X starts:

<pre>modprobe agpgart.o agp_try_unsupported=1
modprobe radeon.o
</pre><p>Also, locate all the "XF86Config" files you have on the system, in case one hanging around in a user's home directory is screwing with X. There should only be one, and that should be /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/XF86Config. There may be an XF86Config file hanging around with a slightly altered name (like XF86Config-4 or XF86Config.localhost), or the $XF86CONFIG environment variable may be referencing some other file.

Also, the XF86Config man page ("man 5 XF86Config") lies a bit on this point. =/ If a user's home directory has an XF86Config file in it, that file is liable to be used if that user starts X.

In any event, the following commands should show you all XF86Config files in the system which might possibly be used:

<pre>echo $XF86CONFIG
updatedb
locate XF86Config
</pre><p>Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

P.S. "lsmod" will tell you what modules you have loaded.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
thank
i'll see if that helps it

i'm pretty sure that the radeon card is doing it to the system becuase i went to the redhat website and it said radeons where not part of there certified list

so i'm think of put 50 dollar in to a pci card that is supproted by redhat 7.1

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thats the beauty of a linux box... stability... just leave it on all year round...no need to reboot...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.xfree.org/4.1.0/RELNOTES2.html#3" target="_new">Radeon Support now out</A>

Try upgrading to Xfree 4.1, it has some limited Radeon Support, basically you can get into Xwindows but dont expect Hardware GL acceleration just yet.

<A HREF="http://www.xfree.org/4.1.0/Install2.html#2" target="_new">http://www.xfree.org/4.1.0/Install2.html#2</A>

If your brave Slackware 8.0 ships with Xfree 4.1 but installing Slackware is a b!tch and not something I recommend for the faint of heart.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i already got the 4.1 x86free in it

can anybody post this at anandtech for me becuse for some reason it won't let me post there