6800GT SLOW DUE TO Powerconsumption? 7600gs faster? yes!

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Strange as it sounds, here is a little story of me, read and soon , you will also scratch your head and say "wtf.."

Long ago i had this A64 3000 with a 6600gt gddr2card, it performed well, this was about ayear ago

then i upgraded to a643500 and a 6800gt OCgddr3 from bfg... faster than my first rig, you bet!.... yet, somehow over almost 6 months, somethign naged the back of my head, windows felt... slugish.... BUT syntetic benchmarks, and fps games obiosly SAID this new cpu and GPU where a lot faster... so i stayed like this and went along, it was fast alright

just today i bought a 7600GS from evga, sure tgs video card charts , rank it just below the 6800gt ddr3 model, but i said what the hell and swaped it tested..

6800gt oc 3dmark 2005 = 5700
7600gs 3dmark 2005 = 4200

SO yes, the card ranks lower.... BUT, i fired up my games, garrys mod, splinter cell... and OMG!!!! WINDOWS IS FAST, BLAZING FAST, games load even quicker, and guess waht FPS are consistent if not faster than before AND THE GAMES my GOD its like they all got the special effects added in, with greater detail,

Obviously the 7600 gpu is as fast if not more powerfull than the 6800, and im sure the new eye candy im watching , is well.. the 6800 cant just do..

heres the kick the 7600 needs no power conector molex, and the 6800 is just a power consumption hog...

so what do you think about this 00

(i think this all sound a bit weird, but it is 5 am, i will tyr not to post again like this X_X)

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
this is interesting have you tried running any benchmarks other than synthetic what results did you get? did you change anything else when installing the new gpu (i.e. run any system at cleaners, reinstall windows, patched anytHing) also what is your PSU you mention that you think that maybe the problem but did not state the specs for it
as i say tho interesting

cleeve

Illustrious
Obviously the 7600 gpu is as fast if not more powerfull than the 6800, and im sure the new eye candy im watching , is well.. the 6800 cant just do..

The 6800 and 7600 have the exact same Shader Model 3.0 capabilities. The 7600 can't display anything more than the 6800.

I'm thinking there's a driver issue or perhaps a problem with the 6800 ccrd itself, the idea that it's a power problem doesn't seem too likely and you haven't really tested that aspect, it sounds like more of a guess.

I'm thinking there's a driver issue or perhaps a problem with the 6800 ccrd itself, the idea that it's a power problem doesn't seem too likely and you haven't really tested that aspect, it sounds like more of a guess.

Yeah, it does sound like a driver issue. When you upgraded, did you simply drop the 7600GS in the PC, or did you also install upgraded drivers as well.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
cheers and thanks for reading,

well everything is the same, with difernet drivers the same happens, im using 91.47 rite now, the thing is while syntetic and gaming benchmark, say the 6800 gives more fps and points, the computer IS slugish when i use the 6800, and amazingly fast with the 7600, i bet the problem is that my PSU is not givin enough power to the 6800, and the 7600 beeing new, doesnt require that much power

also Cell factor demo without ageia is SLOW with the 6800, but with the 7600 it plays so smooth ! (no special phys effects of course)

playing at 1600x1200 maxed in garry smod is playable 40/s with the 7600, the 6800 lag at about 20/s

i KNOW they shoudl perform the same, but its either my psu has not enough power for the 6800, or it is itself damaged , anyways im a happy gamer rite now ^_^

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
im sorry but without proper information this is a pointless discussion basically all you have said is that you think the 7600 is faster than the 6800. and? could you at least provide some specs or benchmarks running in non synthetic enviroments if you could also provide some high res screenshots so we could at least compare the picture quality how about what settings your running at because otherwise i could say that my my comp runs faster when it has two hard drives in and not one but without any information what is the point of me saying that

you include the word powerconsumption in your title but dont tell us what the power supply your using is