Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noise after Win7 loads is driving me nuts, please help

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
June 13, 2011 10:56:57 PM

Hi,
I have a really strange problem with my new desktop PC. I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem for a week now, several hours a day, and I cannot find a solution. It's really driving me crazy, I don't know what else to do.
Here's the thing: Right when Win7 starts and the desktop appears, the PC case starts emiting a noise with a really high pitch. It's so extremely annoying that my head starts to hurt immediatly. I tried almost everything to find out which component emits this noise (it's not the fans, nor the CPU, nor the video card, nor the hard drives). After hours no end of trying everything I could think of, I found out that the only way to stop the noise is to disable an item called "USB Input Device" from the Device Manager of Win7. I have several items called that way, but only one is causing the noise. When I do disable the device, the mouse stops working and the noise is gone entirely. But as soon as I enable the device, or plug another USB mouse on the PC, the noise comes back. But here's the interesting thing: I found out that if I start Win7 in safe-mode, even with all services and network on, it doesn't emit the noise, and the mouse works perfectly anyeays. I even see that same device enabled in the Device Manager, but it doesn't make a sound.
I don't know what to do. I cannot use Win7 in safe-mode all the time, but I also cannot use the PC without a mouse. I'm thinking on buying a PS2 mouse instead of a USB mouse and try that, but I really like both my wireless Logitechs.
Any help would be really appreciated. I was so happy with my brand new computer, and now I'd like to go back to my old one just to stop hearing this noise.
THANKS,
Andrés
June 14, 2011 4:08:45 AM

Motherboard speaker? If it's a speaker that plugs into a pin header, maybe it's plugged into a USB header instead of the speaker header? If it's a built-in onboard speaker then I'm not sure yet. Did you listen to the PSU and see if it's coming from there? Know any priests that can perform exorcisms?
m
l
June 14, 2011 12:26:53 PM

Thanks for your reply. I just found the solution! The noise was a CPU whining that only happened when a USB port was in use. The only way to stop it was to disable C3 and C6 CPU states from the bios of the motherboard. I know, not the greatest solution, but the only way to stop this madness. Thanks again for your help.
Andrés
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 14, 2011 1:20:24 PM

Maybe there's a BIOS update for your board that could help. That is an awkward problem though and I'm not sure if that would an issue with board or the CPU though. At least you figured out what it was. You going to keep it as is or try an RMA?
June 21, 2011 10:07:33 PM

Now that the sound is gone, I'm gonna keep the setting in the motherboard as they are, and that's it for now. If I copy stuff to a USB pendrive, I still hear the sound, only a lot less noisy. But it's quiet while using the mouse or other non intensive USB uses. Thanks for your help.
Andrés
m
l
June 21, 2011 10:15:49 PM

No problem and good luck. If something else comes up I have this thread saved and I'll help however I can.
m
l
June 29, 2011 12:39:18 AM

Best answer selected by andresss.
m
l
October 9, 2013 8:15:47 AM

Ahh I thought it was a mouse squeeking, sometimes you get these noises when CPU fan is working overtime, it is an easy fan to miss.
m
l
!