Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

I tried to use XP distribution CD to do a repair, (earth link busted and
when I tried to reinstall there were missing files.) Anyway, when I tried
to use the XP distribution to repair, it said there were newer files already
installed. So how do I do a repair after I installed SP2???

Thanks,

--
Max
max@m99c.com

"max" wrote:

> I tried to use XP distribution CD to do a repair, (earth link busted and
> when I tried to reinstall there were missing files.) Anyway, when I tried
> to use the XP distribution to repair, it said there were newer files already
> installed. So how do I do a repair after I installed SP2???
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Max
> max@m99c.com

Hi,

Did you try it by booting the CD or from within the existing installation?
You need to do it by booting the CD.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"max" <xamNOSPAM@isomedia.com> wrote in message
>I tried to use XP distribution CD to do a repair, (earth link busted and
>when I tried to reinstall there were missing files.) Anyway, when I tried
>to use the XP distribution to repair, it said there were newer files
>already installed. So how do I do a repair after I installed SP2???
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Max
> max@m99c.com

Max

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

I'll try that. Thanks,
--max

--
Max
max@m99c.com

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did you try it by booting the CD or from within the existing installation?
> You need to do it by booting the CD.

No, he's trying to do a repair install of an SP2 installation with a
non-SP2 XP disk. The OP will need to slipstream SP2 into his XP install
disk. He should Google for Autostreamer or for slipstreaming in general.

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Did you try it by booting the CD or from within the existing
>> installation? You need to do it by booting the CD.
>>

> No, he's trying to do a repair install of an SP2 installation with a
> non-SP2 XP disk. The OP will need to slipstream SP2 into his XP install
> disk. He should Google for Autostreamer or for slipstreaming in general.

You can run a Repair Install on a SP2 patched system using an XP CD that is
either the original 2600 or SP1. You do the repair by booting off the CD.
The installer will search for a currently installed Windows setup and ask if
you want to attempt a repair. The repair will essentially just remove SP2 so
it must be reapplied again after the repair has been completed.

I've tested this by doing a fresh install of Windows XP which had SP2 slip
streamed into it. Next I installed several applications and created a few
files to simulate a setup that had been running for awhile. Next I booted an
original version of XP to do a repair install. The result was positive. SP2
is removed but the files, apps, data and settings were retained. SP2 was
then applied separately. I've done this several times to fix systems that
have become unbootable after SP2 was applied and I had no other way to
remove SP2.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJ@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Did you try it by booting the CD or from within the existing
>>>installation? You need to do it by booting the CD.
>>>

>>No, he's trying to do a repair install of an SP2 installation with a
>>non-SP2 XP disk. The OP will need to slipstream SP2 into his XP install
>>disk. He should Google for Autostreamer or for slipstreaming in general.
>

> You can run a Repair Install on a SP2 patched system using an XP CD that is
> either the original 2600 or SP1. You do the repair by booting off the CD.
> The installer will search for a currently installed Windows setup and ask if
> you want to attempt a repair. The repair will essentially just remove SP2 so
> it must be reapplied again after the repair has been completed.
>
> I've tested this by doing a fresh install of Windows XP which had SP2 slip
> streamed into it. Next I installed several applications and created a few
> files to simulate a setup that had been running for awhile. Next I booted an
> original version of XP to do a repair install. The result was positive. SP2
> is removed but the files, apps, data and settings were retained. SP2 was
> then applied separately. I've done this several times to fix systems that
> have become unbootable after SP2 was applied and I had no other way to
> remove SP2.

Interesting. My experience has been the same as the OP's; the repair
install doesn't go, complaining that you're trying to update a newer
system. It's best that OP tries your way first.