Sign in with
Your question

System doesn't start at all, no beeps

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2006 1:54:25 PM

Hello!

I decided to build myself a new desktop.
This is the first computer I am building myself.

I have the following parts:

Gigabyte P965 S3 motherboard
E6300 tray
Arctic Cooler Freezer 7
1 GB Geil DDR 667 3-4-4-8
ATX Miditower 400W
Asus 7600GT

The rest is not so important.

I placed the CPU in the socket, then I mounted the Arctic Cooler on top. I placed the RAM in the slot and the graphics card in the PCI-E. I connected the power supply 20 pin cable in the 24 pin connector and the 12V connector in the 4 pin connector. Then I started the power suppy and nothing happened. Not even the motherboard lights turned on.
I tried a different power supply with the same results.
Any ideas?

Chris

More about : system start beeps

November 16, 2006 2:16:32 PM

Quote:
I connected the power supply 20 pin cable in the 24 pin connector and the 12V connector in the 4 pin connector.

I'm not real up to date on the different PSU's and their connectors, but is there more than one way a 20 pin can attach to a 24 pin slot? Is it supposed to work that way? I know I'm bringing up more questions, but that's where I would start.
November 16, 2006 2:27:43 PM

So am I right in saying that you have tired two 20pin power supplies and neither worked?

If so I would either get a 20+4 pin compliant power supply, or get the pin converter. At that point I would leave off the 4pin connector and just connect the 20+4 ping connector and the 8ping(?). connector to the mother board just to see if you get some results. Also while testing this you may find it helpful to only use on stick of ram at a time (if you have two) and leave all drive and etc... disconnected.

One other point while going over your config, is your F-panel wired correctly? Meaning have you tried studying the pin setup again to see if setup it right, because if your saying "start the power supply" by simply hitting the power button and nothing is happening. You may have the wrong setup.
Related resources
November 16, 2006 2:38:58 PM

Hello!

Yes, I've tried two 20 pin PSU's.

Regarding the front panel configuration. Not all of the connectors/LEDS of my case are specified with +/-, so I connected these with the written part facing the SATA connectors.
There is a PWR_LED connector consisting of 3 pins vertically alligned. But I have no case connector for that. The manual states:
"The PWR_LED connector is connected to the system power indicator to indicate whether the system is on or off".

Should I try connecting the LEDS with the written part facing to the back of the case, to the case wall?

Chris
November 16, 2006 2:45:41 PM

If the PSU cooler fan does not move, does that mean that it is certain, that the PSU is the problem?
November 16, 2006 2:51:19 PM

Quote:
I connected the power supply 20 pin cable in the 24 pin connector and the 12V connector in the 4 pin connector.

I'm not real up to date on the different PSU's and their connectors, but is there more than one way a 20 pin can attach to a 24 pin slot? Is it supposed to work that way? I know I'm bringing up more questions, but that's where I would start.

There is only one way one can attach a 20 pin PSU connector to a 24 pin connector. At least to the one I have.
November 16, 2006 2:57:23 PM

Quote:
If the PSU cooler fan does not move, does that mean that it is certain, that the PSU is the problem?

It sure sounds like it. You said you tried 2 different PSUs? Try unplugging all the connections inside the case, or pull the PSU out completely, then power it on by itself. If the PSU fan isn't spinning up, I'd say it's definitely the PSU. Tried a different wall plug outlet? I know some wall plugs require a light switch to be on. You know the extra switch on the wall that nothing happens when you flip it on? Anyway, try another plug too, just to be sure.
November 16, 2006 3:05:35 PM

Without seeing the specs of the case and mobo right infront of me it's hard to advise. I may be going down the wrong road but there are two factors here:

1. Is the pin configuration of the powersupply. Which for all intensive purposes, you should get a 20+4 pin compliant psu, you'll have some future proofing with one anyway.

2. The F-panel setup. The Power led should be just that, an led. So its not vital to get the system to power on. However you want to ensure that your power and reset sw pins are configured correct. It should be as simple as following the setup in the mobo manual, if one config doesn't work, reverse it.

Focus on option one first, then move on to there. Even dead mobos pass power. s
November 16, 2006 6:40:59 PM

The motherboard isn't shorted against the case, is it? Take it out of the case and try it.

Also - if you try to turn on the power supply with nothing connected to it, the fans will NOT spin. This is normal. You need to connect it to a motherboard.
November 16, 2006 6:44:01 PM

Quote:
The motherboard isn't shorted against the case, is it? Take it out of the case and try it.

Also - if you try to turn on the power supply with nothing connected to it, the fans will NOT spin. This is normal. You need to connect it to a motherboard.

Hi!

Thank you for your answer. I just checked the power supply in another system and it does work.
I will take the motherboard out of the case and test it. If that doesn't work, what is there to do?

Chris
November 16, 2006 6:54:21 PM

Quote:

OH MY GOD, I love you.
The lights start to blink and then I get beeps. How can I get in the case so that it doesn't get shorted?

Chris
November 16, 2006 7:03:29 PM

I don't believe it was shorted in the first place unless you left a spare standoff screwed in the mobo mounting plate.
I think you didn't notice one of the power connecions on the mobo when it was installed but noticed it after you pulled it...
Maybe I'm wrong,
Main power is either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin, there is also a separate 4-pin connector for the CPU....
November 16, 2006 7:13:41 PM

Quote:
How can I get in the case so that it doesn't get shorted?

Use the posts that go with the screws and be very careful. If you're already way past this step and I've just insulted you, I'm sorry. You mentioned you're doing your first build, and those are the ones where you learn the hard way.

If you're using the posts properly (installation notes should be included with your mobo or case, or both), check the holes for the screws. These screws are used to ground your mobo to the case (note the metallization on the board around the screws), but I suppose it's possible one of those areas got grounded to an important lead and is thus grounding your board. If it looks like there's some sort of debris on your board (extra ball of solder somewhere, a piece of wire, an LED you might have dropped on the mobo that has its wires touching mobo leads, or maybe a bit of residue from a drop of liquid - drinking any Kool Aid while building? Chocolate milk does it too, which I know from experience, but it also is corrosive - would all do the trick if they were somehow connected to the grounding posts) get rid of it so there's no more accidental electrical connection. This is unlikely, however, so be careful and if in doubt, don't mess with it.

First thing to check is that you're installing the posts right.
November 16, 2006 7:28:42 PM

@mad-dog: I checked the cables many times, everything was ok with them

@NovemberWind: You did not offend me. I always appreciate useful criticism. Your advice is very good and I will check the case closely.
Your username fits quite well with todays weather :wink:

Chris
November 16, 2006 7:40:03 PM

My guess is that you have an older PSU. The power connector to the motherboard has to be 20+4 and there has to be a separate 4 pin connector for the CPU.
November 16, 2006 7:56:46 PM

Quote:

OH MY GOD, I love you.
The lights start to blink and then I get beeps. How can I get in the case so that it doesn't get shorted?

Chris

Common mistake. Your motherboard mounts on those little hex standoffs, not directly against the bottom of the case. Screw the standoffs onto the case corresponding to the mounting holes in the motherboard (but no where else - you will have extra threaded holes in the case that you won't use) and screw the motherboard to the standoffs.
November 16, 2006 10:15:32 PM

Yes, this was the problem, my system is up and running.

Thanks alot everyone.
November 16, 2006 11:19:07 PM

I'd be nice if the forums had some type of active 'resolved' and 'open' signature attached the forum. It would give credit to those who contributed to the thread as well as give some acclaim to the Forumz themselves. It might even aid those using searches to sort out information they seek for thier problems.

Anyway, it's good you fixed your issue :) 
November 16, 2006 11:28:22 PM

Quote:
I'd be nice if the forums had some type of active 'resolved' and 'open' signature attached the forum. It would give credit to those who contributed to the thread as well as give some acclaim to the Forumz themselves. It might even aid those using searches to sort out information they seek for thier problems.

Anyway, it's good you fixed your issue :) 

That would be excelent. I thought too, that checking "problem resolved" would be nice in this case. I've seen this on another forum. Useful feature.
November 17, 2006 12:39:08 AM

I have a really stupid question... Is the 120 / 240 sw in the right spot? Is the pwr sw on the PSU 'on'? Is the psu plugged into a known good wall connector?

OK, 3 really stupid questions...

A day late and a dollar short...
November 17, 2006 3:44:56 AM

Wow I have the same exact problem and I ordered a new PSU... I bet I have too many of those brass standoffs screwed in and that is why nothing will work. I'll check tomorrow when the new psu gets here.

Also do I have to install SATA drivers? I have no computer with floppy drives in this house, and the motherboard has the correct slots for SATA connections. However, the computer was working when I used a IDE hard drive, but would randomly shut off when I used the sata and was installing windows.
November 17, 2006 10:17:02 AM

Quote:
Wow I have the same exact problem and I ordered a new PSU... I bet I have too many of those brass standoffs screwed in and that is why nothing will work. I'll check tomorrow when the new psu gets here.

Also do I have to install SATA drivers? I have no computer with floppy drives in this house, and the motherboard has the correct slots for SATA connections. However, the computer was working when I used a IDE hard drive, but would randomly shut off when I used the sata and was installing windows.

If you're not using RAID you don't need to install the AHCI driver
!