Sign in with
Your question

Help please

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2006 2:36:08 PM

I've got a new SATA drive, formatted and installed XP. And it seems to be working fine, except for when I set it to the 1st priority boot disk in BIOS, then it won't load. Any ideas?

More about : question

November 16, 2006 3:36:48 PM

You may be pointing to the wrong device. Some mobos have many on board logical connections an lump them into raid or sata. What mobo are you using? The boot priority is auto negotiating, so you really don't need to configure this.
November 16, 2006 4:08:35 PM

Which mobo do you have and how many HDD do you have?
Related resources
November 16, 2006 5:06:41 PM

I've got an Abit AN8 32x, and 2 HDD's at the moment, but I want to take my old HDD out and just have my new one.
November 16, 2006 5:53:12 PM

Quote:
I've got an Abit AN8 32x, and 2 HDD's at the moment, but I want to take my old HDD out and just have my new one.

Your old drive still has the active partition. You need to deactivate it and make your new drive the active partition. Boot Magic will do this, but it isn't the only way. Just the only one I've tried.
November 17, 2006 11:18:50 AM

When I go into disk management, my new HD is showing up as the boot drive with a partition on my old HD as the system. Do I need to get the new HD to have both? :? (no idea why I'm having all this trouble though, I've replaced HD's plenty of times before, though I suppose this is my first SATA drive)
November 17, 2006 11:30:33 AM

Quote:
When I go into disk management, my new HD is showing up as the boot drive with a partition on my old HD as the system. Do I need to get the new HD to have both? ...

Right.
!