IPaq 2215 External mic? Power drain of recording? Max reco..

February 22, 2005 3:57:25 PM

My wife has an Ipaq 2215 and wants to hook in an external mic if possible
for nature recording (so she doesn't have to also carry a separate tape
recorder).

Does anyone know if the IPaq /definitely/ has a 4-connector jack to allow a
mic to be used?

If so, does anyone know where I can get the pinout, or, a cable with a
4-prong plug where I can solder the other end to her microphone?

Assuming I get the hardware all set, can anyone give me a general idea of
how much of a power drain audio recording will cause? She will only be able
to recharge once per day, so if it takes so much power that she can only run
a few hours, that limits her options (she might need to buy a spare battery,
for example).

One other question- I remember reading somewhere that if the notes/recording
location is set to the SD card, it will record longer than the automatic
cut-off for recording to RAM. Does anyone know where I can get more info,
including any other automatic cut-offs, other than just the available free
space on the SD card? She might want to tape anywhere from 10-30 minutes at
a time.

Thanks!!
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my

can't answer the pinout question, but for serious recording, don't use
the built in (wav) recorder, but one of the several third party
recorders that allow you to record in mp3 and control the max length of
the recording.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
February 22, 2005 6:50:05 PM

Thanks! I'll take a look at the MP3 options.

Any recommendations out there for software that works well, and/or software
to specifically stay away from? Some desired features include:

* Ability to select the "resolution" of the encoding, so sometimes she could
capture smaller files, but capture high quality when she needs to capture
important sounds.
* Easy-to-use interface (or better, the ability to easily program/unprogram
the physical device buttons to start/stop recording)
* Automated file naming (so she doesn't have to continually type in file
names) would be highly desirable.

* Oh, and here is a biggie- she'll be about 11 hours round trip from the
nearest phone, and much further from an internet connection to do any type
of online re-registration or re-verification. It would need to be software
she could re-install (with her passcode/registration number) off an SD Card
in case she had to hard-reboot in the field.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!!
Keith

message news:uohHolRGFHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> can't answer the pinout question, but for serious recording, don't use
> the built in (wav) recorder, but one of the several third party
> recorders that allow you to record in mp3 and control the max length of
> the recording.

February 22, 2005 7:49:15 PM

first three, google for POCKETPC VOICE RECORDER and persue the specs of
those that come up.

Havn't seen any recording program that doesn't automatically name the
recorder files.

The last one falls under good backup procedure... think the 22xx comes
with a "backup to memory card" utility either in rom or on the cd that
shipped with the device.

>> 11 hours <<

Headed for all sorts of problems the device is allowed to drain the
battery. Think there is an extended battery or simply a second battery
to swap when things get low. In addition, an automotive 12v adapter
might provide options to begin with a full charge and get back on charge
after recording before a phone is in range.

Finally, is this the best device? There are a number of digital audio
devices out there that not only allow recording via an external mic, but
might deal with the power and storage issues better.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:19:45 PM

Unfortunately I can answer the jack question. The 2215 does not have an
external mic capability. To date the only iPAQ that does is the 4700. The
Dell X50 line does, as do some Toshibas.

message news:uohHolRGFHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> can't answer the pinout question, but for serious recording, don't use the
> built in (wav) recorder, but one of the several third party recorders that
> allow you to record in mp3 and control the max length of the recording.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
February 23, 2005 6:32:08 PM

That is most unfortunate. Maybe I can see if any repair shops would be
willing to wire around the existing mic and give me an external jack.It
wouldn't be pretty (and I'd probably never be able to use the internal mic
again), but at least it would reduce the number of items my wife would have
to carry.
Thanks for the info!
Keith

!