Sign in with
Your question

Electronics News

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Electronic
Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2006 2:52:05 PM

I decided to post this link here because it's important, and more people read this thread than any others (except graphics, I posted it there too). Granted, I'm aware this may not have anything to do with graphics really, but it IS hardware. Moderators can move this post in a short while. Till then I ask that people at least take a look. This is a great time to bring up a friendly little reminder too...recycle!

PLEASE RECYCLE YOUR OLD ELECTRONICS! This includes but may not be limited to: (check your local recycling programs)

Laptops: parts and accessories
Computers: towers, desktops, portables
Network equipment: hubs, routers, switches, cables, boards
Computer parts: hard drives, CD-ROM/DVD drives, loose PC boards, cables, discs, manufacturer manuals
Software: retail software (with licenses preferred, not required)
Flat-panel screens
Monitors
Printers and scanners

This list was from the Reconnect Program that Goodwill Industries uses. I can't stress enough how important this is. Computers contain very toxic parts that are very damaging to our environment. So please please PLEASE do your part. There is no doubt a recycling plant closer to you than you think. Save up old batteries too and drop them all off at once!

Here's that link! Some interesting stuff! http://svtc.etoxics.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepa...

More about : electronics news

November 16, 2006 4:13:18 PM

There is actually a recycling center in my hometown that gives you a few bucks for old monitors and stuff. It isn't much money at all ~$5-20 for an old complete setup, but it is something better than throwing it in the garbage.
November 16, 2006 4:14:42 PM

I would, but I dont ever throw away old electronics... still have 5.25" floppy drives lieing around... but if I ever do get around to throwing them away, I'll keep your advice in mind.
Related resources
November 16, 2006 4:51:09 PM

It's much easier to throw it in the trash than wasting gas and time driving and finding some recycling plant. :D 
November 16, 2006 4:54:59 PM

Quote:
I decided to post this link here because it's important, and more people read this thread than any others (except graphics, I posted it there too). Granted, I'm aware this may not have anything to do with graphics really, but it IS hardware. Moderators can move this post in a short while. Till then I ask that people at least take a look. This is a great time to bring up a friendly little reminder too...recycle!

PLEASE RECYCLE YOUR OLD ELECTRONICS! This includes but may not be limited to: (check your local recycling programs)

Laptops: parts and accessories
Computers: towers, desktops, portables
Network equipment: hubs, routers, switches, cables, boards
Computer parts: hard drives, CD-ROM/DVD drives, loose PC boards, cables, discs, manufacturer manuals
Software: retail software (with licenses preferred, not required)
Flat-panel screens
Monitors
Printers and scanners

This list was from the Reconnect Program that Goodwill Industries uses. I can't stress enough how important this is. Computers contain very toxic parts that are very damaging to our environment. So please please PLEASE do your part. There is no doubt a recycling plant closer to you than you think. Save up old batteries too and drop them all off at once!

Here's that link! Some interesting stuff!http://svtc.etoxics.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepa...

What exactly is the news here?
November 16, 2006 4:55:53 PM

Quote:
It's much easier to throw it in the trash than wasting gas and time driving and finding some recycling plant. :D 

Wow that is Lazy! :twisted:
November 16, 2006 5:10:45 PM

But we're a lazy society...
November 16, 2006 5:28:41 PM

Tell me about it.
November 16, 2006 5:34:10 PM

Yeah, especially when Ninja's lazy ass posts in mid-afternoon.. just wake up or something =)
November 16, 2006 5:34:55 PM

Well yes I did.
November 16, 2006 5:37:27 PM

True true I am also very lazy :p  But I never throw away computer stuff :p 
November 16, 2006 5:39:43 PM

I just end up using it for target practice.
November 16, 2006 5:41:37 PM

Gah... I wake up at 6AM everyday to go to work...

How I wish I can be in college again and not have class till 1PM (only got a couple weeks left before its back to school again)
November 16, 2006 5:44:55 PM

Meh. By the way, where is the usual suspects? You know, Baron, Turpit, Jack, and Wusy?
November 16, 2006 5:49:36 PM

Sleeping... getting mighty cold these days. Had trouble crawling out of bed this morning... my bed was so warm...

Crashman has been posting around though, prolly gone by now...
November 16, 2006 6:11:33 PM

Quote:

ACK! You realize what you just said? Rather than looking up a recycling drop online or in the phone book and spending $0.20 for gas to drop it off on the way by it...

...you'd rather kill a bunch of fish in a nearby lake. The pollution that comes from computer components is far greater than that made by your car. A little known fact...LAWNMOWERS pollute as much in an hour of operation as your car does in a WEEK. Unless you live in the city and drive a suburban. Then you deserve to be hung by your toenails and beaten with an organic carrot. Or something.

BTW...I think either Tom's gets their hardware news from THIS site -

http://techreport.com/

OR, they share a source. :-) The articles are nearly identical....odd eh?

The link in my original post is fixed. I added a space. :-P
November 16, 2006 6:49:59 PM

Quote:
I just end up using it for target practice.

We were shooting a .22 long range rifle at a laptop from about 50 yards and the screen was stopping the bullets dead. It was an old LCD screen with about 15 layers of fiberglass and other stuff. Not until my friend put a slug in a 20 gauge shotgun did we penetrate the screen lol. I was impressed.
November 16, 2006 6:54:58 PM

I smashed through 10 CRTs by spitting at them.
November 16, 2006 7:08:10 PM

Well, I for one agree with you that recycling is important. But, I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it's obvious that I'm in to recycling :D .
November 16, 2006 7:13:20 PM

Quote:
I smashed through 10 CRTs by spitting at them.

I'm glad we can always count on you to make vital comments like this one. :lol: 
November 16, 2006 7:16:58 PM

That's true
Yes it is! No it isn't! Yes it is! No it isn't! Yes it is! No it isn't! Yes it is! No it isn't!
November 16, 2006 7:18:51 PM

In Texas, we don't know what recycling is... What are the three R's? Red Meat, Red-haired Women, Rednecks?

Edit: Correct haried to haired...
November 16, 2006 7:23:25 PM

Yeah, that avatar always cracks me up.
November 16, 2006 7:24:29 PM

Quote:
Red-haried Women

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
November 16, 2006 7:27:07 PM

And crappy spelling...

We're the state that spawned Bush... cut us some slack...
November 16, 2006 7:27:24 PM

Quote:
In Texas, we don't know what recycling is... What are the three R's? Red Meat, Red-haried Women, Rednecks?

Are you proud of that or something?

Anyway, just keep doing what you've always done and thinking how you've always thought. It's working great for you. I know I want to be fat and have massive heart failure! Who's with me???
November 16, 2006 7:30:42 PM

Quote:
And crappy spelling...

We're the state that spawned Bush... cut us some slack...

Haha ok... slack given :D .

Anyway, I don't have anything against TX per se. But, you DO (gross generalization, I admit, but only Texans I've ever met bragged about it) always go around bragging about being the biggest state, when that is not true. Which HAS always bugged me :D .
November 16, 2006 7:32:34 PM

Its also illegal (at leas tin California, local laws may vary) to throw out electronic equipment. The county of Los Angeles has weekly waste roundups that move from city to city. There are a lot of options (personally when I did my big discard I found Goodwill was too hard to deal with, recycled something like 50 PC's/monitors, a dozen printers, so on).
November 17, 2006 4:04:02 AM

Quote:

ACK! You realize what you just said? Rather than looking up a recycling drop online or in the phone book and spending $0.20 for gas to drop it off on the way by it...

...you'd rather kill a bunch of fish in a nearby lake. The pollution that comes from computer components is far greater than that made by your car. A little known fact...LAWNMOWERS pollute as much in an hour of operation as your car does in a WEEK. Unless you live in the city and drive a suburban. Then you deserve to be hung by your toenails and beaten with an organic carrot. Or something.

AHHHHH. Ohh no. I didn't realize that. Are you serious? I always dump my car's old oil into a nearby stream after an oil change. I heard this was worse than dumping computer equipment, but I'm not sure. Is this true? I've been meaning to stop after a couple warm days in the winter convinced me of global warming, but I've been much to busy to be concerned with such things.
!