Overclocked Asus Striker 680i, post your results

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Guys,

These boards are spanking new and there isn't much data out there. There are a lot of mixed reviews (XBit vs Anandtech etc). I'm considering an upgrade, but want to find out how these boards overclock. I'm not interested in SLI (will probably keep my x1900xt).

Topics:
1) What's your FSB ceiling?
2) What's your max overclock on an E6600?
3) What are your temps on the northbridge?

If I can get to 4Ghz with temps ~65 load, and not nuking the northbridge, then I might jump. Currently doing 3.3Ghz on the P5W DH Deluxe.

Post results here! :arrow:

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
FYI - XBit 680i review:

As a result, we can only conclude that Nvidia nForce 680i SLI cannot yet compete with Intel P965 Express, especially its new C2 revision, in terms of overclocking potential. At the same time, I have to stress that Nvidia nForce 680i SLI has considerably improved its overclocking friendliness since the times of nForce 590 Intel Edition. Moreover, we still hope that future BIOS versions as well as the mainboards based on manufacturers’ own design may be free from the problems we encountered today during our overclocking session.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/nforce-680i-sli_7.html

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
PS. My taget FSB would be 445. Is this possible on this board with air cooling???

(445*9=4Ghz). How much do you need to up your v-core, and how much do you need to up the northbridge/FSB voltage? Are the temps ok on the NB/SB?

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The Asus Striker 680i is not out yet, not one Hardware site has yet to review that board yet, the only board that has been reviewed is the eVGA nForce 680i SLi,

eVGA uses the nvidia reference design, neither Asus or Gigabyte will be using this design and will go with their own and have bios that is tweaked to perform better

NVIDIA 680i: The Best Core 2 Chipset?
One of our X6800 processors reached 2100 FSB, confirming NVIDIA's claims of overclocking an X6800 in their labs to 2070 FSB. Not only did we reach 2100 FSB (525) at a 7X multiplier (3.675GHz), we managed to reach that speed at default voltage. The system has run at those settings for several days without incident and has handled every test and benchmark we have thrown at the system.

Interestingly, all of the 2MB cache Core 2 processors we tested reached at least 2000 FSB, with the two tested E6300 reaching 2100 FSB (522x7 and 6x525). We were prepared to call the amount of cache the defining difference in FSB performance until the late X6800 reached 2100 in our labs and NVIDIA confirmed their own 2070 results with an X6800 Extreme. We are much more confident that 2MB Cache chips can top 2000 FSB and we are very anxious to find something that will help you identify 4MB cache chips that will reach the "magic" 2000, 2070, and 2100 FSB overclocks.

The Asus Striker is not out yet only the eVGA so no one can post their results

In your case it serves absolutely no point to get the the 680i unless you want to go SLi, the P5W Deluxe is one of the best overclockers for the C2D
right now. No point in wasting money on a new board in which it will only allow you to post similar overclocking results.

I doubt you'll ever get any C2D on any motherboard at 4.0GHz at approximately 65 degrees on load on air cooling

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Good point. Thanks IcY18. It sounds like the bottleneck may actually be my chip and temps, and not the mobo. I've managed to boot at 3.6Ghz, but temps were out of control. I was hoping the new 680i would allow for better OC'ing at lower temps, but allowing me to adjust the FSB more freely.

If you had to buy a new righ right right now, by using VALUE as an achor, what would you get.

Seems to me like the P5B and E6600 is a great combo. What would you chose?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Also, very important - what mobo is currently the best for Kentsfield. I am definately going to upgrade to a Q6600. Which mobo would be best?

IdiotNewb

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Actually ZipZoom had a couple in stock yesterday but they sold out quickly. I just checked NewEgg and they currently have them in stock.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
... Kentsfield is still a bit touchy... I would say however, that any mobo that can OC the C2D well should do equally as well as the Kentsfield, but thats just conjecture.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Doughbuy, you've been here a long time dude. I've seen a lot of your posts (can't miss that purple guy!). I hold your opinion up strong.

In your opinion, which board would you then go with at time zero today?

Thanks.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
The P5W Deluxe is still a quality board and my point still stands that it serves no purpose to upgrade from that board right now, as you can see the op is can't get past an fsb of 370 which points to either his cpu or ram and not his motherboard.

Thats cool that the Striker has been reviewed.

Also let me inform you that the Titan Amanda is NOT an air cooler it is a TEC cooler with a heatsink on top of it.

Which regardless the TEC is rated at 60W i believe, which is not alot, this would not be able to handle a E6600 @ 4Ghz at all. it would do very well but would not be able to keep those temps at that speed.

So say we take the best aircooler on the market, Tuniq Tower, it still would not be able to handle an E6600 @ 4.0GHz at only 65 degrees under load...

You guys are dreamin!

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Fish, the setup you have now is fine. Your not going to get much better results with a different mobo. If you want better temps spend the $250 on a water cooling setup for your 6600. You can probably ebay your Thermalright for close to what u paid for it.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I really enjoyed building this monster, and want to do it again. I was hoping to sell this unit at cost (exactly what a paid for it), and take the money and put it back into a new system. If I wait a few more months, then I wont be able to get my cost basis back.

What I'd do second time round is swap out the Thermalright Ultra 120 for a Tuniq tower (I love the Thermalright, but I'd like to try something else to get experience 1st hand). Other than that, would you guys change anything at this stage?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Also, I like my Wi-fi app. Does the P5B come with an antenna? I checked NewEgg - appears not. Thats really strange? I dont use the P5WDH's remote. Any other big diffs besides performance?

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
And again - any 1st hand Striker experiences. POST!

I assure you the Asus Striker has not officially been released yet. Once a place like Anandtech or Tom's reviews one you can then start hoping it might be in stock but even at that point its doubtful. Its just not in anyone's system yet!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
It's an air-cooled TEC... still air-cooled, just a different breed, either way, you wanted an example, I provided one.

The P5W-DH itself has numerous FSB OC'ing walls, not the least is that people rarely get above 450mhz with it, while other mobo's can pass the 500 mhz mark (P5B-E, P5B Deluxe, and recently, 680i)

The P5W-DH still is a good board overall, but it is not the top overclocking board. And if it is his memory, there is such a thing as unlinked memory...

But I still wanted more! I was able to push the FSB up to 2025 MHz using unlinked memory settings and leaving it at 800 MHz. 2025 MHz!!!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=320&type=expert&pid=22

So even if his memory had an issue, he can still OC the hell out of his CPU.

Either way, the 680i is a killer board. Not sure how much more the striker can perform than the eVGA, but it is well worth it.

And uh... the Amanda is a 50W TEC... not to mention temps depend on a lot of things above just the cooler itself, case airflow, ambient, whatnot.

Either way, look at some of the reviews of the Amanda, especially on a proc like the D920:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Titan%20Amanda%20Cooler/testing.php

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Your computer really is fine, I don't see why you should spend more money switching out parts since they're all pretty much high-end anyways. If you're really impatient, get a mobo that supports 1333MHZ FSB in case you want to upgrade again at a later time.

The Tuniq tower is up to you. You'll probably only see a few degree differences between that and the Thermalright, but it is your choice. Stick a FM121 fan in there and you'll be moving air like crazy...

Or get a Scythe Infinity and stick this fan on there:

http://www.thetechzone.com/display.php?i=135&p=3

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Ok cool, thanks man.

PS. It's not that I want the latest and greatest as the new hardware comes out, it's just that I had such fun building this monster that if I can cash out at cost, maybe a little more, and get some slightly upgraded components at the same price, while at the same time having the fun of a new build and testing out new equipment, then why not!

Thanks again. Cheers.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Heh, yeah, I would choose the 680i, but then again, the 680i is orders more expensive.

Eh, I had too much fun building computers, especially when I used to work for Directron and build comps every day... I still had fun.. but it was a different kind of fun... it was the fun of building comps that I would never be able to use and can only drool about in my dreams... =(

But yeah, building your own computer is always a great experience.