driver for cd rom

December 24, 2004 12:42:40 AM

I have a CD-rom NEC NR-7800A. Its driver was installed with the Roxio Easy
CD creator, a program that accompanied the CD Rom. Now I like to install
another new driver and use another application to burn CD. I've found one on
the Internet and it was some "firmware driver". What does that mean
'firmware'? How can one use it to update the old driver? I use Windows XP
Pro sp2.

More about : driver rom

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 12:42:41 AM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:42:40 -0500, gmrad wrote:

> I have a CD-rom NEC NR-7800A. Its driver was installed with the Roxio Easy
> CD creator, a program that accompanied the CD Rom. Now I like to install
> another new driver and use another application to burn CD. I've found one on
> the Internet and it was some "firmware driver". What does that mean
> 'firmware'? How can one use it to update the old driver? I use Windows XP
> Pro sp2.

Software, hardware, firmware... Firmware is a programmable chip on a
hardware device. The device will shop with code already in place on the
chip. It can be updated in the future with "firmware updates" so that the
device is more functional/versatile or to solve problems with the existing
firmware. Directions for installing the firmware should have been posted at
the manufacturer's website. Suggest going back and checking for those. This
is not a process that leaves much room for mistakes as a failed firmware
install could render the device useless.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

gmrad wrote:
> I have a CD-rom NEC NR-7800A. Its driver was installed with the Roxio
> Easy CD creator, a program that accompanied the CD Rom. Now I like to
> install another new driver and use another application to burn CD.
> I've found one on the Internet and it was some "firmware driver".
> What does that mean 'firmware'? How can one use it to update the old
> driver? I use Windows XP Pro sp2.

Hi Gmrad,

Are you sure that Roxio installed a driver? Usually a driver is software
that allows a device (like a CD burner) and a computer to talk to each
other. It's not specific to a particular program. For example, if I switch
from MS Word to Wordperfect as my word processor, I don't have to change the
driver for my printer.

WinXP has its own drivers for a lot of devices, or your CD burner may have
come with a disk that you had to run when you installed the burner. That
supplied the driver. You don't change the driver when you change the program
you use to burn CDs. On the other hand, if you go to the manufacturer's
website, sometimes there is a new driver for your specific model. Installing
it is a good idea.

Good luck, Dan
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:19:13 PM

Dear Dan!
I cannot agree more with your logic about driver but when I looked in
MyComputer/Properties/Device Manager for CD Rom driver details I found out
some list of files and below the following lines:
Provider: Roxio
File version:5.3.5.10
Copyright: 2001-2003, Roxio, Inc.
I admit that it says nothing about the problem, but... (BTW, look what you
have on your computer)
Besides, my problem arose from nonreadability one of my CD that was written
earlier on this computer. I can't also read it on another computer with
Windows XP and Roxio though CD rom has another brand name. But it reads OK
on the third computer that has nonwriting CD rom. And there is another
problem with another CD that is reversal to the first one: I can read it but
can't write anything on it though it is not full. I get a message that CD is
corrupted. So I started to think that it was driver that was guilty.

!