Sign in with
Your question

Case designs with bottom mounted power supplies

Last response: in Components
November 16, 2006 3:37:56 PM

I’m researching what pieces to buy for my first build. For a power supply I was considering a Thermaltake 700w W0106RU or 750w W0116RU. The fan of these power supplies is located at the bottom.

Now some cases like the Antec Nine Hundred mount the power supply at the bottom of the case. So my question is, I could NOT mix these power supplies with case designs that mount them at the bottom because it would block the fan??
November 16, 2006 4:04:38 PM

Works perfectly fine to just flip the PSU over. I think the NineHundred has 2 inches or so from the bottom of the case if you still wanted to mount it normally, but most people just mount the PSU upside down.
Related resources
November 16, 2006 4:20:47 PM

Quote:
I’m researching what pieces to buy for my first build. For a power supply I was considering a Thermaltake 700w W0106RU or 750w W0116RU. The fan of these power supplies is located at the bottom.

Now some cases like the Antec Nine Hundred mount the power supply at the bottom of the case. So my question is, I could NOT mix these power supplies with case designs that mount them at the bottom because it would block the fan??

The Cooler Master STackers ( I think all of them, but I know my STC-T01-Original stacker) has a mesh on the bottom.

I have my Antec TP-II 550watt that has a 120mm fan sitting on top of the mesh. With the caster-wheels on the case it sits up about 2 inches off my carpet and sucks air from outside the case off the floor, where it is nice and cool, into the psu box and out the back of the case.

You can mount the psu up top or on the bottom or mount 2 psu's if you need that much power (and who's kidding who, with the latest trend of video cards you'll need 2 550's or 1 giant 1000 to run it all by this time next year - quad core and dual or quad video, lol power hungry indeed).

I love my stacker case, but it is HUGE. About the only thing I don't like about it is that the top exhaust blow hole is an 80mm where the Antec900 is something like 160mm.....I'm trying to decide how important it is for me to have that....ie do I really want to cut a hole or not
November 16, 2006 4:22:50 PM

....and I would NEVER mount a PSU on the bottom of the case with the fan pointing up....too easy for a wire or a screw to drop into it, even with the grill cover.
November 16, 2006 4:26:42 PM

Uh... I'd be very concerned if you had loose screws or wire's running amok in your case... cable management solves a lot, and being careful takes care of the rest. There might be a slight chance that happens, but then you can take it as a learning lesson...

Although, the whole purpose of a bottom mounted PSU bay is so the PSU doesn't pull up the hot air from the CPU and so it can run relatively cooler...
November 16, 2006 5:16:50 PM

before I had the PSU in the case but the heat was 15+ hotter so I went with the bottom mounting you can see the 2 psu

The pic were taken with an xp3200 oc'ed at 220x12 temp what you see and 15+ with the psu in the case volts to 1.85
November 16, 2006 5:35:52 PM

Is your case in a wooden box?

And when you mean 15+ hotter, is that the case temp, cpu temp, or PSU temp (I'm assuming PSU temp, but correct me if I'm wrong.)
November 16, 2006 5:48:59 PM

Yes case temps yes its plywood
November 16, 2006 5:50:57 PM

Seems like an interesting box, only thing is, wood doesn't conduct heat very well... I would think a standard metal case would be able to dissipate heat much better then plywood can...
November 16, 2006 5:55:26 PM

I agree with that if I had more money and time I would have made this from a different material but I can say this case has been good for cooling
November 16, 2006 6:10:00 PM

I have a Lina Li case, and it's got wheels and air vent slits on the bottom, so no problem there. Flipping the PSU might not work if the case is compartamentalized like the Lian Li-there is a plate over the PSU compartment.
November 16, 2006 6:46:51 PM

I just built an antec 900 yesterday, and there is NOT ENOUGH room to mount such a PSU normally, it HAS to be upside down. That being said it shouldn't hurt to mount the PSU upside-down, but keep in mind that it will be venting warm air UP, so you'll want to blow that air out of your case, but that's all. Just reverse that monster top fan and you'll be golden.
November 16, 2006 7:20:22 PM

Uh... a PSU fan would theoretically pull air from inside the case out the back... not from outside inside...

Don't know what kind of PSU fans you have...
November 17, 2006 8:54:23 AM

Quote:
I just built an antec 900 yesterday, and there is NOT ENOUGH room to mount such a PSU normally, it HAS to be upside down. That being said it shouldn't hurt to mount the PSU upside-down, but keep in mind that it will be venting warm air UP, so you'll want to blow that air out of your case, but that's all. Just reverse that monster top fan and you'll be golden.

So what PSU did you use for your build with the _900? I am planning on the Tt 650w truepower. Is there a concern about the cables/wires being too short when PSUs are bottom mounted ?
November 17, 2006 10:12:07 AM

I used a OCZ GameXStream 700W. Cable length could be a problem, the only cable I had to worry about was the +12V 4 pin, it just barely reached. Also, traditional molexs might be a problem if the wires are too short, as optical drive mounting is only available up at the top of the case.
November 17, 2006 12:14:11 PM

Eh, you could always move the cages around... but it would be odd having the 5.25" drive on the bottom...

The 700W GameXStream barely reached? What mobo do you have, was the 4 pin near the top or something?

Planning on getting the GameXStream with the Antec Nine-Hundred...
November 17, 2006 3:21:53 PM

It was a Gigabyte DS3, and yea, the 4-pin is up above the socket on that one. Further complicating matters, the customer had me put a Big Typhoon on his CPU, and without thinking I attached it before I plugged in the 4-pin. Luckily I have nimble fingers....hahaha. I really like the 900 case though, it looks sharp. The Drive cage could be moved up, with some difficulty though, cuz of the fan that's semi-attached. But the molexs on the OCZ are more than long enough to reach the top, it was only the 4-pin that cut it kinda close...
November 17, 2006 3:26:23 PM

One more thing, can it fix an 8800GTX? Is there any way you can grab a ruler and measure the distance?

Or at least the length of the drive cages, I can probably inference the rest of the length from that.
November 17, 2006 6:20:19 PM

Ugh, the 'puter has already been delivered. I installed a GTS with no problems, and I'm pretty sure a GTX would fit as well, since the power connections are on the side and not the rear. You should check some other forums though. Sorry I can't help more.
November 19, 2006 6:43:43 PM

Quote:
I used a OCZ GameXStream 700W. Cable length could be a problem, the only cable I had to worry about was the +12V 4 pin, it just barely reached. Also, traditional molexs might be a problem if the wires are too short, as optical drive mounting is only available up at the top of the case.

No problem moving them - I have my optical drives and floppy at the bottom, HDD's in the middle and top bays empty, so I have a fan blowing towards my gfx card over the HDDs and the other fan towards my FreezerPro. With the current ambient temp being cool it's at 18' idle and 36' loaded ('C core temp).

I love my 900!
November 19, 2006 7:26:24 PM

Quote:
Yes case temps yes its plywood

I upgraded from cardboard to aluminum foil, Reynolds Wrap brand, very high quality aluminum. It was dissipating heat really well and overclock cpu no problem, then one day my friend sat on it. :cry: 

November 24, 2006 4:40:50 PM

Quote:

So what PSU did you use for your build with the _900? I am planning on the Tt 650w truepower. Is there a concern about the cables/wires being too short when PSUs are bottom mounted ?

I recently built a system with the 900 and a Thermaltake Toughpower 700 and installed the PSU with the fan facing up. When I applied power the PSU's fan rubbed against something internally. It stopped rubbing as soon as I turned the PSU over. The review on TweakNews listed above noted the use of a Thermaltake Toughpower 600 and no mention of fan rubbing. I wonder if the one I got just has a loose fan. Could also mean that PSU isn't designed to run while upside down. I sent an e-mail to Thermaltake to ask their opinion.

The 900 case I bought has four silicone pads on the interior floor where the PSU sits. This would only give maybe 1 or 2 mm of clearance if you wanted to mount the PSU with the fan facing downward. The manual says the case has screw holes for mounting the PSU with the fan up or down--either way. I'm doubt that would make the PSU sit any higher when mounted with the fan facing down.

I'm not sure I like the idea of having the fan on the bottom. It might not get enough air, although what it did pull in would certainly be cooler air. With the 120 mm fan on the bottom front of the case, it could conceivably get enough air, but the unused cables also sit bundled right in front on the case.

If anybody has a similar setup with this case with the PSU fan facing downward and gets decent airflow, I'd like to hear about it.

My setup:
--Antec Nine Hundred case
--Thermaltake Toughpower 700W
--EVGA nForce 680i motherboard
--Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 x 2.4 GHz)
--2 GB Corsair XMSExtreme EPP DDR2-800
--ATI X1950 XTX (single card)
--SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
--Seagate 7200.10 320 GB SATA II

DigitalKnight
!