Dual Opteron 265 performance??

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I have a pair of Opterons i bought a while back for a server build for a freind, to make a long story short I got stuck with the cpus. So im thinking about getting myself a dual 940 server board and building myself a dual Opteron system as an upgrade to my current 4200x2 system. Im just wondering how much real worl performance I would actually gain. I do mainly the basics, plus some photoshop and audio and some A/V encoding. Is registed memory required for a dual 940 setup??
thanks

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I have a pair of Opterons i bought a while back for a server build for a freind, to make a long story short I got stuck with the cpus. So im thinking about getting myself a dual 940 server board and building myself a dual Opteron system as an upgrade to my current 4200x2 system. Im just wondering how much real worl performance I would actually gain. I do mainly the basics, plus some photoshop and audio and some A/V encoding. Is registed memory required for a dual 940 setup??
thanks

You should see some improvement since 265 is clocked higher but honestly it's not worth it because of the ECC RAM. yes Opteron uses registered mem. The RAM isn't really slower but it is MORE EXPENSIVE. You could get an Asus K8N-DL pretty cheap though so I guess it's up to you.

A 2xx opteron has more hyperthreading links than a 1xx opteron, so, yes, should perform better. Wish I had those chips. Like the man said, reg. memory is more expensive, but the machine should be a quick one for anything you might want to do.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
A 2xx opteron has more hyperthreading links than a 1xx opteron, so, yes, should perform better. Wish I had those chips. Like the man said, reg. memory is more expensive, but the machine should be a quick one for anything you might want to do.
You mean HyperTransport links, but yes it does have more.

I'd try selling the Opteron 265s and get an Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700 instead.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Personally I would toss them on eBay to get the most out of them right now. Use the money to upgrade or buy something nice for the wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend for the upcoming holidays. Bonus points for when you want to upgrade later :wink:

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
With a dual Opteron system does each chip get its own memory or do they share?? 2gigs for each chip would be quite expensive! Now I know the performance would go up but would it be huge differance or a minor one? Like say on video encoding say it takes me 10minutes to do on my current system would the dual system do it in like 6minutes(huge differance) or 9(minor)??? I know there are many variables but im just talking about in general. How much performance increase could I expect? As for the Quad core Intel chip, id rather wait for the AMD 4x4, I think its a better technology than 4 cores on a single chip.