Sign in with
Your question

My Wi-Fi range has shrunk!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 9, 2006 2:43:40 AM

Hi all !

Suddenly my wireless range has shrunk to about 10 feet max. No obvious reason that I can think of, like a sudden steel girder implanted in my home!

The components: D-Link VDI-624 router, Version C3 with special Verizon FIOS FW version 2.43 Build 12.

In my Dell laptop, D-Link DWL-G650, H/W vers B5, latest D-Link driver 2.2.4.71

This setup was working very well 2 days ago with the router in my home office and the laptop in the TV room, same floor, about 25 feet away.

Then I turned on 128 bit WEP, but I don’t see how that could have caused my current situation. I now need to bring the laptop into the room with the router in order to pick up the signal. Walking down the hall, I lose the connection around 10 feet away from the router.

I have tried the following:

1) Rebooted the router (manual power-cycling).

2) Relocated the router

3) uninstalled and reinstalled the DWL-G650 (uninstall in device manager, shut the laptop down, physically removed the adapter, reset it, booted up and reinstalled the device with the above drivers, etc.)

4) Turned off WEP

5) Turned off my firewall

As two controls, the built-in Dell WLAN adapter (Truemobile 1300, Broadcom driver 3.100.35.1) is no better at finding and holding the wireless signal than the Dlink card (I notice that installing the Dlink drivers and utility config installs the AEGIS Protocols on all wireless network connections). The other control is my Tivo with a Linksys b USB adapter, which holds a steady 70% signal +- whether WEP or not, and throughout all the testing I’ ve tried.

DLink knowledgebase has not been helpful, does anyone have ideas to try?

Many TIA.

More about : range shrunk

March 9, 2006 10:04:05 PM

You may want to contact Verizon, its there hardware. Sounds like it lost a amp. Besides they require you to use there equipment.
March 9, 2006 10:59:52 PM

Thanks.

My concern is that going down the Verizon road may not help, since their router is apparently sending a signal that my Tivo is picking up fine.

Likewise, DLink tech support may not help, because both the Dlink notebook adapter and the builtin Dell wireless adapter are having the same problem picking up and holding the Dlink router signal.

So looking for the common denominator, I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong with the laptop (hardware? Windows? other software) that could be affecting both wireless NICs?

Any ideas?
Related resources
March 10, 2006 1:17:49 AM

Try disabling AEGIS Protocols, then reboot to make sure the protocol is clear. I had a driver load with my internal wireless card that interfered with MS zero config. Most any thing is posiable.

Have you tried restore windows to a point before it started acting up?
March 13, 2006 9:10:39 PM

Quote:
Try disabling AEGIS Protocols, then reboot to make sure the protocol is clear. I had a driver load with my internal wireless card that interfered with MS zero config. Most any thing is posiable.

Have you tried restore windows to a point before it started acting up?

Tried both of these - made sense to try since both factors would be common to the connection no matter which port or adapter I was using on the laptop.

But no dice. However, finally found the solution. I am now connecting solidly using the following:

1) SuperG turned completely off (so no Turbo, and no chance to communicate higher than 54 between these 2 super G dlink devices, but i'll take what i can get).

2) manually tuned router to ch 11 (as I understand it, superG and turbo used channel 6 and those overlapping on either side for some of the speed enhancements, that is apparently not working for me anymore).

3) wireless G exclusively (kicking my wireless b tivo off the network, but i'm upgrading that adapter anyway).

All of which leaves me with a few remaining questions:

1) everything with channel 6 and superG was working fine a couple of weeks ago. Having ruled out environmental factors within my house, i can only conclude something changed outside (e.g. neighbor). What could a neighbor have done to so severely stomp on my channel 6 usage, and how do I know it could not happen to me again on ch. 11?

2) even now, the channel 6 transmission was reaching my tivo. Could that device, with a wireless b adapter, really be more immune to the interference than the PCMIA and USB adapters on my laptop?

3) given that i can't use superg anyway, am thinking of returning my D-Link DWL-G650 and using my prior Netgear G adaptor. Anyone agree or disagree?
March 14, 2006 8:03:22 PM

Download a copy of http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ and do a site survey. Let it run for 10 minutes or so. It will pickup hidden SSID. I do a survey on a regular basis. I have had to turn down the power of my USR5450 AP, to keep others from trying to connect. I operate with SSID off, but ever so ofton I get some one tring to connect. XP default is connect to the world, secured or not . NOT Good security. You may have a neighbor trying to connect to your system. I use WPA and MAC access control.
!