Quickcam VC Image Quality??? Processor requirements.

Mike

Splendid

I bought a used Logitech QuickCam VC
parallel port camera.
It's the LKD4, but the part number
861030-0000 doesn't show up anywhere I can find.
I'm using the 4.15 drivers downloaded today from logitech.

It looks like pix are taken through a fog.
Focus can be adjusted from really fuzzy through
not quite so fuzzy back to really fuzzy. So it
looks like the focus is working, but maybe some
other lens inside is outa whack?
This is the best pix I could get out of it with
contrast turned way up and color saturation at max.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/qcam.jpg
I can't believe this thing is supposed to work this
badly??? Is there something I should look into to fix
it?

Here's approximately the same scene with an Intel
USB camera:
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/intel.jpg

Assuming I can get the picture better, I want to run it
on a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75 laptop, 75 MHz. 486. win98se
All I get is a series of a couple of dozen vertical
bars as the image. Is my pokey 75 MHz. system just too slow?
OR should I be looking at the parallel port drivers/configuration?

I really don't need high frame rate. Just want to take a picture
once in a while for surveillance. The whole reason for going to
parallel port is that I don't have an extra USB enabled laptop to
waste on this project.

Ideas?
Thanks, mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

I've got some of the old origional color quickcams and they don't
have the fogging issue. Check the lens and see if it has
something on it. If you got it used, then you might ask the
previous owner about the issue. Connectix made a parallel port
gizmo called a quickclip which an analog can could be connected
to. You can get a cheap parallel port cam bleow, but it uses a
CMOS sensor, so don't expect high quality.

http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 15:44:08 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com>
wrote:

>I bought a used Logitech QuickCam VC
>parallel port camera.
>It's the LKD4, but the part number
>861030-0000 doesn't show up anywhere I can find.
>I'm using the 4.15 drivers downloaded today from logitech.
>
>It looks like pix are taken through a fog.
>Focus can be adjusted from really fuzzy through
>not quite so fuzzy back to really fuzzy. So it
>looks like the focus is working, but maybe some
>other lens inside is outa whack?
>This is the best pix I could get out of it with
>contrast turned way up and color saturation at max.
>http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/qcam.jpg
>I can't believe this thing is supposed to work this
>badly??? Is there something I should look into to fix
>it?
>
>Here's approximately the same scene with an Intel
>USB camera:
>http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/intel.jpg
>

>Assuming I can get the picture better, I want to run it
>on a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75 laptop, 75 MHz. 486. win98se
>All I get is a series of a couple of dozen vertical
>bars as the image. Is my pokey 75 MHz. system just too slow?
>OR should I be looking at the parallel port drivers/configuration?
>
>I really don't need high frame rate. Just want to take a picture
>once in a while for surveillance. The whole reason for going to
>parallel port is that I don't have an extra USB enabled laptop to
>waste on this project.
>
>Ideas?
>Thanks, mike
>

>--
>Return address is VALID.
>Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
>Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
>Honda CB-125S $800 in PDX
>Yaesu FTV901R Transverter, 30pS pulser
>Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Mike

Splendid

Si Ballenger wrote:
> I've got some of the old origional color quickcams and they don't
> have the fogging issue. Check the lens and see if it has
> something on it.

First thing I did was clean the lens. I can take it apart and see if
any other surfaces are dirty.

If you got it used, then you might ask the
> previous owner about the issue.

This was a garage sale. Previous owner was really evasive.
Wouldn't have bought it for real money, but figgered I'd risk a quarter
since I was already there.

Connectix made a parallel port
> gizmo called a quickclip which an analog can could be connected
> to. You can get a cheap parallel port cam bleow, but it uses a
> CMOS sensor, so don't expect high quality.

Didn't find anything cheaper than $15. Way out of my price range ;-)
thanks, mike

--

mike wrote:
> Si Ballenger wrote:
>
>> I've got some of the old origional color quickcams and they don't
>> have the fogging issue. Check the lens and see if it has
>> something on it.
>

> First thing I did was clean the lens. I can take it apart and see if
> any other surfaces are dirty.
>
> If you got it used, then you might ask the
>
>> previous owner about the issue.
>

> This was a garage sale. Previous owner was really evasive.
> Wouldn't have bought it for real money, but figgered I'd risk a quarter
> since I was already there.
>
> Connectix made a parallel port
>
>> gizmo called a quickclip which an analog can could be connected
>> to. You can get a cheap parallel port cam bleow, but it uses a
>> CMOS sensor, so don't expect high quality.
>

> Didn't find anything cheaper than $15. Way out of my price range ;-)
> thanks, mike
>

>> http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
>>
>> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 15:44:08 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I bought a used Logitech QuickCam VC
>>> parallel port camera.
>>> It's the LKD4, but the part number
>>> 861030-0000 doesn't show up anywhere I can find.
>>> I'm using the 4.15 drivers downloaded today from logitech.
>>>
>>> It looks like pix are taken through a fog.
>>> Focus can be adjusted from really fuzzy through
>>> not quite so fuzzy back to really fuzzy. So it
>>> looks like the focus is working, but maybe some
>>> other lens inside is outa whack?
>>> This is the best pix I could get out of it with
>>> contrast turned way up and color saturation at max.
>>> http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/qcam.jpg
>>> I can't believe this thing is supposed to work this
>>> badly??? Is there something I should look into to fix
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Here's approximately the same scene with an Intel
>>> USB camera:
>>> http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/intel.jpg
>>>

>>> Assuming I can get the picture better, I want to run it
>>> on a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75 laptop, 75 MHz. 486. win98se
>>> All I get is a series of a couple of dozen vertical
>>> bars as the image. Is my pokey 75 MHz. system just too slow?
>>> OR should I be looking at the parallel port drivers/configuration?
>>>
>>> I really don't need high frame rate. Just want to take a picture
>>> once in a while for surveillance. The whole reason for going to
>>> parallel port is that I don't have an extra USB enabled laptop to
>>> waste on this project.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>> Thanks, mike

Took it apart. There's a filter inside that looks like something had
grown on it or been spilled. Nothing would take the cloudyness off.
In desperation, I tried some of the stuff used to take water stains
off your shower. Came right off, now pix is clear.

Still need to determine if my 75 MHz 486 laptop is fast enough to run it.
If it's just a matter of frame rate, I'm ok. If there's real-time
stuff goin on in there, it might be too slow.

Experience?
Thanks, mike

--

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:28:52 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com>
wrote:

>Took it apart. There's a filter inside that looks like something had
>grown on it or been spilled. Nothing would take the cloudyness off.
>In desperation, I tried some of the stuff used to take water stains
>off your shower. Came right off, now pix is clear.
>
>Still need to determine if my 75 MHz 486 laptop is fast enough to run it.
>If it's just a matter of frame rate, I'm ok. If there's real-time
>stuff goin on in there, it might be too slow.
>
>Experience?

I use to run my quickcams on my 486X66 with win 3.1 with out
problems. You laptop should be able to handle the load ok. It
might just have a lower frame rate. Win98 might add some extra
load. Below is the old 486X66 running a winnov isa capture card
and webcam32.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/486X66.htm

Si Ballenger wrote:

> I've got some of the old origional color quickcams and they don't
> have the fogging issue. Check the lens and see if it has
> something on it. If you got it used, then you might ask the
> previous owner about the issue. Connectix made a parallel port
> gizmo called a quickclip which an analog can could be connected
> to. You can get a cheap parallel port cam bleow, but it uses a
> CMOS sensor, so don't expect high quality.
>
> http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
>
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 15:44:08 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I bought a used Logitech QuickCam VC
>>parallel port camera.
>>It's the LKD4, but the part number
>>861030-0000 doesn't show up anywhere I can find.
>>I'm using the 4.15 drivers downloaded today from logitech.
>>
>>It looks like pix are taken through a fog.
>>Focus can be adjusted from really fuzzy through
>>not quite so fuzzy back to really fuzzy. So it
>>looks like the focus is working, but maybe some
>>other lens inside is outa whack?
>>This is the best pix I could get out of it with
>>contrast turned way up and color saturation at max.
>>http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/qcam.jpg
>>I can't believe this thing is supposed to work this
>>badly??? Is there something I should look into to fix
>>it?
>>
>>Here's approximately the same scene with an Intel
>>USB camera:
>>http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/intel.jpg
>>

>>Assuming I can get the picture better, I want to run it
>>on a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75 laptop, 75 MHz. 486. win98se
>>All I get is a series of a couple of dozen vertical
>>bars as the image. Is my pokey 75 MHz. system just too slow?
>>OR should I be looking at the parallel port drivers/configuration?
>>
>>I really don't need high frame rate. Just want to take a picture
>>once in a while for surveillance. The whole reason for going to
>>parallel port is that I don't have an extra USB enabled laptop to
>>waste on this project.
>>
>>Ideas?
>>Thanks, mike
>>

>>--
>>Return address is VALID.
>>Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
>>Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
>>Honda CB-125S $800 in PDX
>>Yaesu FTV901R Transverter, 30pS pulser
>>Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head...
>>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Yeah, I'd suggest cleaning the lens. Looks like it's got grease on it.
I got a marked increase in contrast, sharpness, and colour saturation
when I cleaned my webcams recently, and it was the first thing I did to
a secon-hand one I bought - the cotton bud came off absolutely FILTHY.

Velvet

Mike

Splendid

Si Ballenger wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:28:52 -0700, mike <spamme0@juno.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Took it apart. There's a filter inside that looks like something had
>>grown on it or been spilled. Nothing would take the cloudyness off.
>>In desperation, I tried some of the stuff used to take water stains
>>off your shower. Came right off, now pix is clear.
>>
>>Still need to determine if my 75 MHz 486 laptop is fast enough to run it.
>>If it's just a matter of frame rate, I'm ok. If there's real-time
>>stuff goin on in there, it might be too slow.
>>
>>Experience?
>

> I use to run my quickcams on my 486X66 with win 3.1 with out
> problems. You laptop should be able to handle the load ok. It
> might just have a lower frame rate. Win98 might add some extra
> load. Below is the old 486X66 running a winnov isa capture card
> and webcam32.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/486X66.htm

Ok, I got the Quickcam VC to run on the desktop and on a NEC 4050C
laptop with the Version 4.1.5 software.
I'm still having problems with the Compaq Elite 4/75 laptop that I need
to use it on.

The setup program gives me the ability to set the interrupts, address,
DMA for the parallel port, but if i save it, then reboot back into the
bios, my settings are gone. It always comes back without the DMA setting.

Win98SE insists on installing as an ECP port and assigning a DMA.
There's a setport utility from Compaq that lets me change the port mode.
After half a day of messing around, I finally got the camera to work.
I thought I'd forced the parallel port to use the non-ecp driver and
manually set the configuration parameters and changed the mode with setport.
Worked GREAT. Then I rebooted and it quit again. I've been unable to
repeat the magic incantations required to get it working again. I've
deleted and reinstalled the thing a zillion times.

I remember having severe parallel port headaches on my Compaq AERO also.

Anybody know the magic to making the compaq Parallel port work with a
webcam? All I need is the TWAIN driver. Don't need any of the other sw
that setup forces me to install. Is there a way to get just the TWAIN
driver installed for the Quickcam VC?

Thanks, mike