The Computer Builder's Test!

fensus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Alright heres the rules-- try to make the fastest gaming computer you can!
1. Budget of around $1500 +- 150
2. Overclocking is allowed, but has to be included in the cost ( extra cooling needed... etc)
3. list all over clock specs, including timings, multipliers etc..
4. cpu brand doesnt mater
5. feel free to use SLi or Crossfire if fits in budget
6. Exclude anythign not completely necessary ( monitors... etc)

If you think this is more for my personal benefit.. You're right! but try to be competitive in order to make it fun. If you've already listed a machine thats in the price range feel free to make a $2000+ one and see if any one can beat it :p

I'll add a poll later on to see who's computer wins.. Cheers!

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Lemme guess... You're looking to make a jaw-dropping gaming rig, but have a budget? I think I could help with that... (I do this sort of thing as a hobby, lol) Just as a check, we're talking American dollars here? Lots of people neglect to mention this, and actualy are in, say, Canada, or worse, Australia or New Zealand.

SaintsRock

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
What are you doing bud?
Half the fun of building a new rig is the research/decisions on which parts to buy.
Unless that's just sad old me? :lol:

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Your not going to learn anything about computers without doing the research yourself.....therefore....you'll get no help from me. Last thing THGFZ needs is for you to come back 2 weeks from now begging us to help you troubleshoot. Go learn.

Google ftw
Wiki if you have to
Thgfz is everything else fails

fensus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
HAHA you both saw through my plan flawlessly, I live in Canada but don't mind posts in US dollars as difference is getting less and less by the minute. My intented purpose is straight gaming, probably high end games like oblivion/ dark messiah. but with my knack for running through any game in a week i'd also say that a large part of my intentions is MMO games. As for research being the fun of making a computer, i agree... But with my limited knowledge i appreciate help, and id really want to start playing some new games as soon as possible since my comp is less than adequate and recently refused to boot. And in reference to the post about me needing to learn on my own, seeing what other people believe to be good systems is part of learning, i can make/research comps all the time but i have no idea of how it stands up to what others believe. Thanks for ur guys help

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
For right now, here are some general suggestions of what I might build if I had that kind of budget. The two "big ticket" items would be the CPU, and the graphics card. But as a list of suggestions...[*:052e12c40a]The CPU would almost certainly be a Core 2 Duo E6600; at around $400CAD, it's pretty darn cheap for having a 4MB L2 cache, and you can overclock it pretty well on stock cooling; even without OC'ing, it's still more than any game short of Oblivion can use.
[*:052e12c40a]Foir the GPU, you've got the cash, so I'd probably go for the GeForce 8800GTS, at around $570CAD, last I checked. Though its lead over the third-most powerful single GPU card (the X1950XTX) is only around 10-15% in Oblivion, it's FAR beyond that in other games. Plus, though few have spoken of it, I wouldn't be surprised if you could push this card to act more like a 8800GTX. You SHOULD be able to fit this into your budget; if you can, you WON'T regret getting it.
[*:052e12c40a]The motherboard is important, but not quite ALL that important; go with a good chipset, and you really can't go wrong. the nForce 680i is pretty darn expensive, so perhaps you can do without it; it's primarily for heavy overclocking, anyway, and that can also be done on Intel's cheaper chipsets, such as the 965 and the like; $100-150CAD should get a pretty darn good LGA775 motherboard.
[*:052e12c40a]There isn't all that much need to splash money on RAM; yes, you do need a lot of it, but 533MHz (PC2-4200) DDR2 is just about the most expensive you'll really get a difference out of. Higher-priced brands, such as Corsair's XMS, or Crucial's Ballistix, are not necessary; RAM OC's rarely provide a meaningful performance boost for the extra money spent, so get a good, solid, affordable brand, such as Corsair's ValueSelect. I'd recommend getting plenty, though; 2GB is what I'd recommend, and should cost around $250CAD or so.
[*:052e12c40a]If you're serious about audio, while it actually DOESN'T provide all that major a boost to game perforamnce, get a dedicated sound card; a SounBlaster Live is pretty cheap, (old tech) though it's pretty much the same kinda stuff you can get in an Audigy 2 ZS. If you're even more serious, look to get one of the cheaper X-Fi cards; note that the "Fatal1ty" version with 64MB of XDRAM really doesn't provide a performance boost; the cheaper cards with only 4MB will do fine.
[*:052e12c40a]The last actual "perforamnce" part to list here is the PSU; with VERY few cases, the PSU that comes with a case can be considered garbage. One exception, though, that I will link to, is Antec Sonata II. For around $120CAD, it's both a good, solid case, and comes with a 450w Antec SmartPower PSU; that's a good, solid PSU that can handle even a Core 2 Duo and a GeForce 8800GTX at the same time.
[*:052e12c40a]What you get for the drives is really up to you; at this current point in time, though, I'd say Seagate's drives are the best to get; their 7200RMP perpendicular drives are comparable in performance to WD's VASTLY more expensive 10000RPM Raptors. The current "sweet spot" for space is around 250-320GB; less than that, and you hardly save money (perhaps a couple of bucks) for a dramatic cut-off in storage space.Oh, and if you were hoping to fool me with that sort of thread, I apologize to have dissapointed you; as I mentioned, I've been doing this sort of thing as a hobby at multiple forums for a couple of years. (THG is just my favorite actual HARDWARE site) :p

fensus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Mother of god Nottheking ur a machine lol... Thanks alot to your effort, thats exactly what i needed, a good base to start looking around, as to others posting useless replies like "go research" .. try to be more like Not... if you dont desire to post an answer to the topic then please don't post negative garble that im obviously not interested in.. i understand that some people may not contain the patience or leniancy to offer their time to someone who appears to not have done all the work themselves.. and in that case simply dont respond. save urself the time or go pick on kids at ur local play ground. Everyone has to start somewhere.

P.S. some people may not have the unlimited hours to sit on the net doing endless research on the slight differences in chipsets and CPU's.. such as me.. i just post when i have time between my university classes

Thanks again for ur help

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
proc 6400: 270
moth: Asus P5B: 154
Mem: 2x 1gig crucial rendition pc5300 (667): 240
Vid: Any 8800gts (suggest asus because of bundle): 550
Case/power: Antec sonata w/ 450 power: 110
DVD: Your choice dvdr: 36
HD: seagate 250gb 7200.10 16mb cache: 86
tot:1446 CAD w/o tax.
With alberta tax comes to 1532.76

I would say you don't need the 6600. I have pretty much this set up and with my 6600 its never fully used in games, usually around 65-85 percent usage. But if you have a sata HD then don't buy one now and step up to the 6600.

Myopic

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
If you got time to game you got time to research. If you've got time to put a computer together and work out the inevitable bugs, you've got time for research. It took more time to post here than it would take just to check other posts on the same subject. Other peoples time is just as limited as yours. Use it wisely.

fensus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Bruce has the idea :p lets get some more peoples set ups. i think people will find it usefull ( new people at least) to see some decent systems that arent expensive

@ myopic... Its at your own discretion whether or not to waste ur time posting replys to my topic, thus i am "WASTING" no ones time. its for everyones enjoyment as well.

Just as ive wasted enough time posting on here that i could have spent researching as u say, so have u posted enough negative irrelevant comments that u could have posted a set up and helped out some people