Latency question

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
ASUS A8V, AMD 3400+, 2 x 512 Kingston HyperX PC3200. Data sheet says the sticks are: CL2-3-2-6-1.
CPU-Z says the ram is running 2.5-3-3-8.

I have the bios option of running 2, 2.5, or 3 but left the setting in "auto" to let the board decide.

I'm wondering why the board decided to pick the settings shown in CPU-Z. Should I change the settings to match the ram data sheet numbers?

This is the first time I've messed with ram settings. I read the FAQ section, the Kingston guide, and the mobo manual. I have a basic grasp of the terms but not confident enough yet to change any settings. I tried the search feature but it won't let me go past the first page of the search results - In other words, sorry if this question has been answered before, I just coulnd't find it.

Also looking at buying the 2G kit (2 x 1G sticks). They come in either CL2.0 or CL2.5. Does it make more sense to buy the 2.0 and then let the mobo increase it as it sees fit?

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Very often the configuration data stored in SPD are buggy. No matter the DIMM brand, also very expensive Corsair XMS have had some lot of buggy SPD.
Manually set in BIOS the exact timings from the datasheet: those modules will run @CL2 without problems (also the cheaper ValueRAM rated @CL2.5 run without problems @CL2 with stock voltages).