Simple question!

fensus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
new to technical part of PC's, as opposed to just gaming... have a simple question regarding dual core CPU's when its listed as like dual core 2.0 ghz does that mean it has two 1.0 ghz cpus running together for a combined 2.0? or is 2.0 just 1 cpu, so the combined total is actually 4.0?
thanks

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Yes and no. If the app can run on both then it will but it must be programmed to do so. Its like having two CPUs on one die (actualy it is 2 cpus on 1 die :p) But you get good proformace boost if the program can run it on both CPUs. This also means that you can play a game and run an anti virus and take no hit in proformance if the game doesn't use both cpus.

4745454b

Titan
At the moment, mostly for multi tasking. Most of the software available today doesn't use more then one core/CPU. (most of the ones that do are multimedia apps that render or edit video or music files.) This is changing however as dual/quad core CPUs become more common. Quake 4 is a game that can use more then one core, and more are comming next year. Multitasking for now, but designed to run on both (real) soon.

fensus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Thats good news for me since i MMO alot, and botting requires alot of dual instancing :p .. THANKS for all ur guys help on clearing that up, im sure ur excited for all my other newb questions to come :p.. OHH 1 more thing, when looking at a software how can u tell whether it will use both cores or not?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
No, you do NOT add the speed of separate cores; just because you have two trucks travelling down the road at 90kph and carrying the same goods, that does not mean the goods are travelling at 180kph; you just have twice as much goods moving at 90kph.

However, when it comes to PCs, it's often hard to get the second core to actually "load up," so it's often running mostly empty, and of not much use; in some applications, such as Oblivion, that second core is only seeing 10% use, while the main is at 100%. However, if you were to do multi-instancing, that would change the picture.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
it's 1 CPU with 2 COREs inside acting similar to having 2 seperate CPus. Basically this splits the load of the application.

So multitasking big things like photoshop, office and what not at the same time, a dual core will run them better bye splitting the load to each core.

If i have that correctly.

Rob.