Sign in with
Your question

Info on P4 Duo Core vs C2D

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
November 16, 2006 8:32:09 PM

Is the P4 Duo Core processor basically the same as C2D regarding its power. I know the 1st gen Dual cores run hotter and higher voltage but as for performance and price savings I could say get a P4-D950 vs a C2D E6400 and have roughly the exact same performance ?

More about : info duo core c2d

November 16, 2006 8:35:00 PM

I would look at the CPU Chart but the C2D is way way faster because of the higher PCI instead of the netbuster GHz the P4 has
Anonymous
November 16, 2006 8:42:26 PM

I mentioned above that I was looking at the P4-D950, and on the charts it beats the E6400 by a little bit in the PC test
Related resources
November 16, 2006 8:51:13 PM

If you plan to OC at all go with the C2D it can reach 3.2ghz+ with stock cooling.
November 16, 2006 9:01:14 PM

there is no comparison, the core 2 duo is imesely fast and imesenly cheap, the e6300 that is.
November 16, 2006 9:16:53 PM

Quote:
I mentioned above that I was looking at the P4-D950, and on the charts it beats the E6400 by a little bit in the PC test

After taking a look at Toms CPU Chart the E6400 wipes the floor all over the place with the D950 I don't know what chart you where looking at but the E6400 is way way better in all tests on Toms!
Anonymous
November 16, 2006 9:24:23 PM

When I looked at the chart the first test I looked at was the PCmark - CPU version 1.1 and that seems to be the only one that it does beet the C2D in. Oops my bad.

But I also want to point out the fact that if I go with the Pent D that I can still use my DDR ram and AGP video card since the C2D are all PCI-E and DDr2 it seems.
November 16, 2006 9:36:16 PM

Quote:
When I looked at the chart the first test I looked at was the PCmark - CPU version 1.1 and that seems to be the only one that it does beet the C2D in. Oops my bad.

But I also want to point out the fact that if I go with the Pent D that I can still use my DDR ram and AGP video card since the C2D are all PCI-E and DDr2 it seems.

That is mainly because of the 3.6ghz that the P4 has but that really don't mean much in real applications since the IPC is sooo much better on the C2D. Also you can get motherboards that have PCIe, AGP, DDR, and DDR 2. IT will take me a bit to look it up but they are out there for the C2D :) 
November 16, 2006 9:40:51 PM

From all the REAL-WORLD benchmarks I've seen, the E6300 wipes the floor with the EE 965!

Simply put, there really isn't any comprison; for a dirt-cheap dual-core, I might get an 805 and OC it to 4.0GHz, but aside from that, I wouldn't touch NetBust arcitecture for anything else.

And as for DDR memory... Don't ALL LGA775 boards use DDR2? That kinda precludes the idea of using DDR1 with a Pentium D, doesn't it? There might be some DDR1 boards out there, but they would be the rare exceptions, NOT the rules, just like with AGP.
November 16, 2006 9:46:06 PM

Quote:
If that "less important task" does not require a capable video card and lots of memory, you may want to consider the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA, it supports DDR, DDR2, AGP and PCIe, allowing you to migrate your 6600 and memory (worth it since 2GB is nothing to sneeze at, especially if it is PC-3200), therfore lowering the cost of that upgrade.

Here found out who posted the Motherboard that can support all that stuff :p 
November 17, 2006 4:55:31 AM

Quote:

That is mainly because of the 3.6ghz that the P4 has but that really don't mean much in real applications since the PCI is sooo much better on the C2D. Also you can get motherboards that have PCIe, AGP, DDR, and DDR 2. IT will take me a bit to look it up but they are out there for the C2D :) Do you mean IPC(instructions per clock) ?
November 17, 2006 2:01:32 PM

Quote:

That is mainly because of the 3.6ghz that the P4 has but that really don't mean much in real applications since the PCI is sooo much better on the C2D. Also you can get motherboards that have PCIe, AGP, DDR, and DDR 2. IT will take me a bit to look it up but they are out there for the C2D :) Do you mean IPC(instructions per clock) ?

:p  Fixed it :p 
Anonymous
November 17, 2006 8:41:25 PM

Hey guys thanks a lot for your replies and help. I think I might just save a couple more weeks pay and get a new C2D system. The local dealer here is going to give me a fair trade in on my current computer parts that I cant reuse in the new chipset.
Anonymous
November 28, 2006 7:17:53 PM

Ok guys just for an update I decided and bought the c2d e6400 and p5pe-vm and installing now as i type this. Thanx for the feedback
!