Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing decent GPU while waiting for new DX 10 GPUS?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2006 8:39:29 PM

I need some help choosing a GPU for the new system i am buying and i would like to spend between 200-300!!

i am going to buy the evga 680i mother board for a great overclocking setup and i will have the 6600 c2d///

i am waiting to buy any good top of the line GPU for the 680i at the moment....

i would like to buy a cheaper but good GPU that can handle a lot or most games out there right now....

i was going to buy the 88000 GTX because money isnt a issue... i just would like to wait till other lines like the ATI RD600 that is coming out and i would like to see how the 8800 GTX handles the vista////direct x 10 games before i buy it and be dissapointed........

but once all the new thing come and reviews on the dx 10 performance on the dx cards then i will make my dissision, in the next couple months then i will buy a higher end card ////

but until then i would like to buy a decent card for now that i will pleased with and i can run BF2 and call of duty and all the games that require good cards....

i would like to run the settings almost all on high so i would like to have some suggestions on some good cards i would be pleased with and that would meet my expectations?

More about : choosing decent gpu waiting gpus

November 16, 2006 8:42:37 PM

Hmm... You want something that will handle current titles nicely, but will be replaced by a DX10 card later? My suggestion, if you're not going to play Oblivion, (which, for all its demands, may as well be counted as a DX10 game) would be to get a GeForce 7600GT for around $130-140US. That will handle almost any other game maxed out at 40-60fps, and at a high resolution. It'll handle Oblivion fairly well, too.
November 16, 2006 9:30:39 PM

I agree. If youre going to upgrade in the next few months there are few games out right now that can't be played well with a 7600GT level card. If you want a ..slightly.. better card I would suggest an x1950pro for around $200. The difference will be noticeable, but not much.. and a 7600GT should be all you need for the next few months. Especially for those games you are playing.
Related resources
November 16, 2006 10:03:18 PM

GF7600GT is a great choice.. VERY cheap and is a good card. Plays everything and will be a good card to hold you over tell the R600 :) 
November 16, 2006 10:08:39 PM

Agreed.
November 16, 2006 10:32:10 PM

Quote:
Hmm... You want something that will handle current titles nicely, but will be replaced by a DX10 card later? My suggestion, if you're not going to play Oblivion, (which, for all its demands, may as well be counted as a DX10 game) would be to get a GeForce 7600GT for around $130-140US. That will handle almost any other game maxed out at 40-60fps, and at a high resolution. It'll handle Oblivion fairly well, too.
Your statement is blatantly false. The 7600GT will struggle on Age of Empires III, F.E.A.R., Half-Life2: Episode 1, Prey and pretty much every modern title at "maxed out" settings.
November 16, 2006 10:41:39 PM

What the heck are you talking about? Youre crazy. I use a x850xt which is ~= to the 7600GT performance-wise and I play A.O.E. maxed settings and 1360x768 resolution and its flawless, even when a TON is happening on screen. And I can play GRAW at mid-high settings at the same resolution just fine.
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2006 10:50:49 PM

Quote:
I need some help choosing a GPU for the new system i am buying and i would like to spend between 200-300!!

Quote:
i would like to buy a cheaper but good GPU that can handle a lot or most games out there right now....

i was going to buy the 88000 GTX because money isnt a issue... i just would like to wait till other lines like the ATI RD600 that is coming out and i would like to see how the 8800 GTX handles the vista////direct x 10 games before i buy it and be dissapointed........

Well if money isn't an issue, how about approaching it like this.
Get a GF8800GTS and play all the games out there right now, at higher settings, and enjoy that until the R600 comes out and let's you re-evaluate your position. Even if the R600 series cards do well then you can sell the GTS (regardless of the results there will always be fans of each camp to buy the hardware) and upgrade to either the R600 series card of your chioce or upgrade to the GF80's refresh. And if you buy an eVGA in the near term you could likely roll that investment into their 90day Step-up upgrade plan without losing anything.

That way you have the benifit of playing the games on the solid GTS, without the worries of spending too much on the GTX up front, and losing alot of value in the interim (IMO the GTS will depreciate less than the GTX).

Whereas anything you buy now, unless you move it over into the second slot as a physics co-processor, has less attraction, and while it saves you money now, how much does it save you long term. Also you have much greater constraints on your gaming in the meantime.

Quote:
i would like to run the settings almost all on high so i would like to have some suggestions on some good cards i would be pleased with and that would meet my expectations?

Well IMO the GTS is the way to go, otherwise for the $200 range to meet that requirement I'd say the X1950Pro, which will also likely retain alot of it's resale value for the Xfire potential later for people, since it doesn't need a master, just a second card, but don't hold your breath too much beyond the launch of the R600 cause the midrange will soon follow.

Other considerations the GF7900GT or the GF 7900GS.

As always, just my two frames' worth.
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2006 11:05:38 PM

IMO I wouldn't say that 13x7 is close to maxing things out, and the X850 plays in SM2.0 mode not SM3.0, and the X850XT is better in most heads-up situations that don't require special shaders, so I would't call HY27 crazy, the GF7600GT can't play everything on high as seen by the COD numbers;

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gigabyte...

The AOE3 numbers later are similar, but avg 20 fps in AOE3 is nowhere near as impactful as in COD, and you could probaly enjoy AOE3 at 20fps.
November 16, 2006 11:51:14 PM

ok remmeber i am gettin the 680i eVGA edition wen i get this video card also...... so i would like to know if the ATI cards will even be compatibel on this board?

because if i am going to wait for a couple months then i would at least like to be able to enjoy the games till then.... and better graphics helps...

so between 200-300 wat would be the best choice for a nvidia card?

i think the Nvidia cards woould work better on a Nvidia based motherboard...

so i would like to know about some good 512mb cards that are out right now?

when you leave suggestions ///// please leave how much MB the GPU has ... its easier for me to tell and research it...

thanks!
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2006 12:09:49 AM

Quote:
ok remmeber i am gettin the 680i eVGA edition wen i get this video card also...... so i would like to know if the ATI cards will even be compatibel on this board?

Yes they will work fine no problem (no more so than with some nV cards that is)

Quote:
so between 200-300 wat would be the best choice for a nvidia card?

IMO the GF7950GT at just over $200, the GF7900GS is under $200, 256MB also not as performant either. This may help;
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/x1950pro...

Quote:
i think the Nvidia cards woould work better on a Nvidia based motherboard...

No, it would limit their market. Seriously would you want to buy a MoBo that will cripple your best card option out there if it wasn't the MoBo maker's? They started a program back in the FX era to do just that and it backfired big-time with alot of negative feedback (also it was soon figured out and disabled), and everyone learned from that, that the market won't stand for it.

Quote:
so i would like to know about some good 512mb cards that are out right now?

Like I said X1950Pro for ATi (256 and 512MB);
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

GF7950GT would be my reco for nV (256MB and 512);
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...
November 17, 2006 12:36:46 AM

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? Youre crazy. I use a x850xt which is ~= to the 7600GT performance-wise and I play A.O.E. maxed settings and 1360x768 resolution and its flawless, even when a TON is happening on screen. And I can play GRAW at mid-high settings at the same resolution just fine.
If you have an X850XT you're videocard can't play Age of Empires III on the maximum due to your lack of Shader Model 3.0 and FP16 support.
November 17, 2006 12:40:53 AM

If you choose an nVidia chip, go for an eVGA. If we're lucky, nVidia should have some more GeForce 8-series cards finished in the next 3 months, and if so, then you can use the Step Up program to trade in your current card and pay the difference for a newer card of your choice.

Keep in mind it only lasts 90 days after the purchase though, so if you choose this method, see if you can delay your purchase a couple weeks or so. Never hurts to be patient (or at least not too much! :lol: )!
November 17, 2006 12:47:28 AM

i dont see how it would max out because i was on my radeon x800 gto with AOE 3 and it ran perfectly fine with max settings...
November 17, 2006 1:22:35 AM

Well on my x850xt pe and x1900xtx i play all Half life 2 in 1920x1200 with evrything cranked to max with between 80 and 300+ frames. my x1900xtx plays oblivion in 1920x1200 with everything cranked to max at mostly around 50 to 60 frames sometimes i feel it creeping close to 30 and rarly do i get to see the stutter that i pay so much for in video cards to avoid. But hell if money is no object like was stated get the current dx10 card since its ability now wont mean alot when dx 10 games really start coming out. Course since i dont know what your trying to play i cant go into a great detail about it. all i can say is i havent played a game yet that has crippled my 1900xtx ay 1920x1200 in cranked to max settings.
November 19, 2006 10:09:22 PM

yea money is no object wen it comes to saving but when it comes to buying a system right away i will have to buy a cheaper graphics card first ..... sorry for the confusion.........but like i would rather get a cheaper one now and then make sure the dx 10 actually works well with the dx ten video cards....

clueless now on a count of there is no dx 10 games out so i cant read reveiws on how it works on dx 10 .... so i want to wait.......

what is a good 512mb card from nvidia?

and does the ones that take up two slots because of better air flow, better then the one sloters?
November 19, 2006 10:25:42 PM

Well maybe you should consider what you really want out of DX10. I know it seems you need DX10 when you get Vista, but think about this. What DX10 games are you looking forward to that your want for a DX10 card overrides a $200-300 current card? By this I mean, if you got a 7950GT, or an X1950XT, or whatever, then how long do you think that card will really last till you replace it with a DX10 card? When R600 comes out, will there really be a need to get it immediately, or could you survive till Christmas 2007?

The thing to remember is that there will be almost nothing to tell the performance of the 8800's on DX10 games in Vista right when Vista launches. So if you got a new card now, I wouldn't expect to buy a DX10 card until maybe UT2007 at the earliest (or Crysis). Either way, you just have to think carefully about the dates for the games you want, not just the dates for the release of new hardware. My two cents.

EDIT: In my personal opinion, under your situation, I'd get a X1950XT or a 7950GT, then wait until that card can't do what you want it to do, and upgrade to DX10.
November 19, 2006 10:25:59 PM

Well the new DX10 will "work" with all of the cards, and I have never experienced any MASSIVE glitches in the DX launches, but then again Im still a baby when it comes to knowledge in computers compaired to some of the gurus here. Your best bet would be to read the sticky and ask questions from there, and I'm pretty sure all of you're questions have been answered here.
November 19, 2006 10:26:29 PM

Well a DX 9 card will play dx10 games as it would a dx9 game. It just wont allow dx10 fetures. That might seem confusing im sure.

It will work fine you just wont be able to set any dx10 fetured options in the game. However a dx10 card is more powerfull sinec it is a next gen card. But like i said even if you get it now by the time dx10 games start to come out the video card will be nearing hte end of its life cycle and to play the new games at max settings youll need the new dx10 card.

I would look at the current dx10 cards as simply a new video card for your system for now. basicly upgrading from a x850xt pe to a x1950xtx to put it in basic terms.

If you plan on using vista youll also be able to activate all the dx10 graphical fetures in it.
November 19, 2006 10:34:05 PM

well yea i want to be ready for unreal 2007 and yes i am waiting till christmas to even get my system..............so when i buy a cheaper graphics card then i am prolly going to wait a few months after that to buy a dx ten card and vista...

gotta research and make sure its going good and there is no bugs in vista first(which vista prolly will have bugs and will take a few months to make it flawless- meaning most of the problems went away)

i am buying my computer after thanks giving- near x mas and i am just gettin a gpu to hold me over for 3 to 5 months so i can see all the new stuff that comes out and make sure its all bugless.........

i just would like to know some good 512mb cards that will hold me over for 5 to 6 months..........??????

then when the dx ten games start coming out i will let people buy it first.......experience it.... make reviews.........then i will make my disision on a dx 10 gpu
November 19, 2006 10:37:20 PM

If your looking for a 512 MB GPU with an OK pricetag I believe you would go for the 7950GT 512 KO.
November 19, 2006 10:37:35 PM

I wouldn't limit yourself to 512MB cards, unless you're ready to pay a premium for them. 256 cards like the 7950GT and X1950XT are fine for the purposes of lasting 5 to 6 months, and the performance increase for their 512MB counterparts are IMO not worth the increase in price.
November 19, 2006 10:45:50 PM

ok but i am want to be able to run games on high resolutions and high settings!!!

for games like bf2, FEAR, CS source, and a lot of other games that are coming out....

but if a lower price gpu other then 512 cards can do this then i will go with that..................i am gettin the 680i eVGA most likely(unless better models of the 680i come out)

so i will be able to run sli and all that good stuff.........

i am going with the 6600 c2d so i will be able to overclock reasonably well with good air cooling....

i am looking forward to this and just want the best gaming system i can get........

so if a cheaper gpu will let me do a lot of the thing s i would like to do for 3 to 6 months(maybe sooner) then i will just buy that
November 19, 2006 11:08:33 PM

Well, here's a good comparison of a 7900GT 256 and 7900GT 512. It shows well how there's not much difference between the two memory sizes.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/376/9/

You can also see that a card similar to a 7900GT will run FEAR and such at a smooth 60 fps. So anything with similar performance for under $300 will do you just fine.
November 20, 2006 5:16:43 PM

This is true for current (90%) of games out there as 512meg cards are new and games werent coded. But from now on all games should be coded to use 512 megs of video memory. Just like any games in development now will be using (we hope) the dx10 engine. If your going to play oblivion i would get a 512 meg card defanitly. in half life 2 and bf2 i found adding 2 gigs of memory and a more powerfull gpu did alot more then more vram.
!