Sign in with
Your question

Apple + AMD = MacBook?

Last response: in CPUs
November 16, 2006 9:18:43 PM

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/11/16/59...

I would love to see a Mac laptop using a Turion X2 with an ATI chipset and GPU, integrated or discrete, as long as it's cheaper than the current MacBook. They could also use the 35 watt Athlon X2s for the Mac mini, like HP is doing with their Pavillion Slimline. This is all speculation of course but nobody would have thought 18 months ago that Apple would be switching to Intel. Apple has had a working relationship with ATI for years so it's not totally surprising. The iMacs and MBPs all use ATI graphics right now. The rumored xMac could also use use Athlon X2s and Apple is a founding member of the Hypertransport Consortium. They designed motherboards with HT for use with their PPC workstations. Hmmm. On the other hand I doubt the Apple/Intel honeymoon could be over so quickly.

More about : apple amd macbook

November 16, 2006 9:28:49 PM

Quote:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/11/16/59...

I would love to see a Mac laptop using a Turion X2 with an ATI chipset and GPU, integrated or discrete, as long as it's cheaper than the current MacBook. They could also use the 35 watt Athlon X2s for the Mac mini, like HP is doing with their Pavillion Slimline. This is all speculation of course but nobody would have thought 18 months ago that Apple would be switching to Intel. Apple has had a working relationship with ATI for years so it's not totally surprising. The iMacs and MBPs all use ATI graphics right now. The rumored xMac could also use use Athlon X2s and Apple is a founding member of the Hypertransport Consortium. They designed motherboards with HT for use with their PPC workstations. Hmmm. On the other hand I doubt the Apple/Intel honeymoon could be over so quickly.

Wow that is crazy! Anyway I think this might be good for AMD if it is true and AMD could always use the market share :p .

I don't know if this is actualy going to happen or if this is more about ATI then AMD. If they are looking for motherboards and GPUs. Might be intresting if it is for AMD CPUs though
November 16, 2006 9:51:48 PM

Yeah, this would be a good move for AMD even without the CPUs. The chipsets and GPUs would be a great way for Apple to spread the business and maintain good relations with AMD for possible future projects.
Related resources
November 16, 2006 10:27:30 PM

What good will it do if they put an AMD chip in a Mac Book, they still are gona sell it for too much, apple computers overcharges.
November 16, 2006 11:31:53 PM

Quote:
What good will it do if they put an AMD chip in a Mac Book, they still are gona sell it for too much, apple computers overcharges.

True that
November 16, 2006 11:41:26 PM

Quote:

I don't care for my self since I probably wont be getting an AMD CPU or a Mac any time soon. But it might just help AMD stay in the game and get the cash thats need to help them build a better CPU. Now thats something that I want!

But until AMD can make a CPU that is at least = to if not better then Intel's CPU, I guess I will have to buy from Intel for my next computer. But that might take a while and if AMD can get something worth buying out there I will. Just because I root for the underdog doesn't mean I'm stupid :p 
November 16, 2006 11:43:54 PM

Like I said, if they are cheaper than their current offerings I might go for it. Right now a MacBook with a 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo is $1100. With the Amazon rebate it would go down to $1000. That's a Core 2 Duo, not some Celeron M or Sempron mobile. If Apple uses AMD to lower the price of the entry-level laptop I would be more than happy to consider it. But again, all of this is speculation. Right now I'm budgeting for a Santa Rosa MacBook this spring but would be more than happy to consider an alternative CPU/GPU/chipset from AMD/ATI. I don't need my laptop to be super-powerful. Right now I'm winging it with a cheap Acer that uses a mobile Sempron but I'm ready to give that to my parents (as a DTR) and upgrade to something better (dual core), smaller (13") and lighter (<5.5 lbs). I'm not currently a Mac user but I'm pretty sure I will be within the next few months. And while I can afford the price premium I hate to throw money away. I'll continue to pass on Apple for the dekstop but for a portable I'm almost sold.
November 17, 2006 12:44:43 PM

Such a notebook would be more expensive and way slower
November 17, 2006 1:04:50 PM

Apple ain't gonna get AMD for a while, because it will then piss off its good friends Intel, and Apple definitly ain't gonna win if Intel's pissed... especially since AMD doesn't have enough stock on hand to handle Dell they definitly can't give Apple either...

Apple will stick with pure Intel for a while to come. If they do sell out, I'm fairly certain the C2D Macbooks will rise in price as Intel charges Apple more for them...
November 17, 2006 1:26:12 PM

AMD and Apple... pipe dreams. They'd sooner go back to using PowerPC.
November 17, 2006 1:29:02 PM

Quote:
AMD and Apple... pipe dreams. They'd sooner go back to using PowerPC.

To Apple: get away from x86 processors :D 
November 17, 2006 1:31:24 PM

And do what? Go to Cell?
November 17, 2006 1:34:47 PM

My question is this... How do you know Apple is eyeing AMD for CPU's?

Why can't this be for GPU's instead? Last time I checked Apple did still use ATI GPU's in their system and since AMD now owns ATI...
November 17, 2006 1:35:38 PM

Quote:
And do what? Go to Cell?

2-4 core Cell is enough.

7-8 cores are way too much and too expensive. :wink:
November 17, 2006 1:37:00 PM

True. You'll be left with a PS3 type scenario. I still can't believe I bought the damn thing.
November 17, 2006 1:38:09 PM

Quote:

Why can't this be for GPU's instead? Last time I checked Apple did still use ATI GPU's in their system and since AMD now owns ATI...

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20061115PR207.html

Quote:
Taiwan passive component makers are witnessing an aggressive increase in orders for high-capacitance multi-layer ceramic capacitors (MLCCs), with most of the MLCCs having a capacitance of 22μF, and being for use in an AMD-based Apple notebook, sources at the makers noted......
November 17, 2006 1:39:09 PM

Quote:
True. You'll be left with a PS3 type scenario. I still can't believe I bought the damn thing.

Extremely high estimated cost for PS3 (~US$840) :wink:
November 17, 2006 1:42:35 PM

I payed $600 for each of them. I turned around and immediately put the second on eBay. It sold for something around $1450. I love capitalism.
November 17, 2006 1:45:36 PM

Quote:

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20061115PR207.html

Quote:
Taiwan passive component makers are witnessing an aggressive increase in orders for high-capacitance multi-layer ceramic capacitors (MLCCs), with most of the MLCCs having a capacitance of 22μF, and being for use in an AMD-based Apple notebook, sources at the makers noted......

I take anything from digitimes with a grain of salt...

I still don't see how aggressive purchasing of MLCC's means CPU rather than GPU's... *shrugs*
November 17, 2006 1:53:24 PM

I saw one go for 89 million US dollars a little while ago. Probably fake, but hey, 89 million is 89 million...

Sorry...

Apple + AMD would be great for AMD, but would go against the way Apple has been doing their business for a long time. They have very limited hardware that their software runs on so that they have much higher quality control and can limit their technical support staff. The fact that they went with a plain ol' x86 processor from Intel disappoints me, but such is life. Apple won't go for AMD for a long time, if ever. Oh well, hooray for Dell buying into AMD!...
November 17, 2006 1:56:40 PM

Either way, Apple blows, deserves to die, and should never be mentioned on this forum. Only thing worse than an AMD/Intel Fanboy is an Apple Fanboy... actually, thats the worst kind of Fanboy there is...

At the IDF, Intel allowed the Apple speaker to talk quite a while about the new partnership with Intel and whatnot... and smacks dell right in the face...

Like I said, you don't want to piss Intel off...
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2006 4:07:53 PM

Actually, the worst kind of fanboyism out there is the whole Micro$haft crowd. Anyone who is willing to accept an OS that is halfway adequate and way overpriced is a shill for Gates and Ballmer. Vista will be driven by business purchasers who don't know any better...and they will push the problems off to technically clueless MCSE IT clods who worship at the altar of M$, who will suggest that the problem isn't because the software is inadequate and buggy, but that the servers need to be upgraded, as well as all the other computers, to the latest version of M$ software.

At least Apple has been following a steady roadmap and implementing features gradually, making the adoption process for Apple users fairly simple. You wouldn't dream of loading Vista on a six year old computer, but I bet you could find several Apples at least that old (and older) running the latest and greatest OS with ease.

Argue what you want, but Apple deserves their success. They are the research and development that M$ doesn't have to pay for (think; how many of the features in Vista are there because Apple drove the innovation?). And I think they will remain in the top 5 of manufacturers for a long time yet to come.

And yes, they do make expensive computers. And they price out comparable to Dell, HP and Gateway. If you are a business purchaser, that makes a huge difference. But, since this forum focuses mainly on the enthusiast who builds their own computer in the first place, I don't expect Apple products to be all that popular here.

Ask yourself this question...how many of you would actually pony up to buy a copy of OS X if Apple were to open the license to non-Apple hardware? I think the adoption rate would actually be a lot larger than expected, especially if the upgrade path to Vista is going to be as bad as I have seen with the betaware Microsoft has been pumping out.

Now, I am not an Apple fanboy. Lord knows there is a lot about the company I can't stand. But I will be the first to tell you that this industry needs companies like Apple to drive innovation and to keep M$ in a forward direction rather than stagnating in "just good enough" while they rake in the dough.
November 17, 2006 4:14:00 PM

Quote:

And yes, they do make expensive computers. And they price out comparable to Dell, HP and Gateway. If you are a business purchaser, that makes a huge difference. But, since this forum focuses mainly on the enthusiast who builds their own computer in the first place, I don't expect Apple products to be all that popular here.

Eh I don't know about that... I think Dell, HP, and Gateway can just about undercut Apple in everyway.

Granted Dell, HP, and Gateway DO have a lot of PC's that are just as expensive if not more...
November 17, 2006 4:50:15 PM

I do tech support for Apple. Freakin' Maytag man. Secure, stable, simple to purchase and operate. Yeah, they suck. More of the market share each year, they suck.
November 17, 2006 4:50:54 PM

Quote:
Actually, the worst kind of fanboyism out there is the whole Micro$haft crowd. Anyone who is willing to accept an OS that is halfway adequate and way overpriced is a shill for Gates and Ballmer. Vista will be driven by business purchasers who don't know any better...and they will push the problems off to technically clueless MCSE IT clods who worship at the altar of M$, who will suggest that the problem isn't because the software is inadequate and buggy, but that the servers need to be upgraded, as well as all the other computers, to the latest version of M$ software.

At least Apple has been following a steady roadmap and implementing features gradually, making the adoption process for Apple users fairly simple. You wouldn't dream of loading Vista on a six year old computer, but I bet you could find several Apples at least that old (and older) running the latest and greatest OS with ease.

Argue what you want, but Apple deserves their success. They are the research and development that M$ doesn't have to pay for (think; how many of the features in Vista are there because Apple drove the innovation?). And I think they will remain in the top 5 of manufacturers for a long time yet to come.

Ask yourself this question...how many of you would actually pony up to buy a copy of OS X if Apple were to open the license to non-Apple hardware? I think the adoption rate would actually be a lot larger than expected, especially if the upgrade path to Vista is going to be as bad as I have seen with the betaware Microsoft has been pumping out.

Now, I am not an Apple fanboy. Lord knows there is a lot about the company I can't stand. But I will be the first to tell you that this industry needs companies like Apple to drive innovation and to keep M$ in a forward direction rather than stagnating in "just good enough" while they rake in the dough.

Now I agree that I hate MS for what it is but I use Windows because I'm a gamer and because I love to build hardware with my own two hands the two things Apple cant give me. But I try and make sure as little of my money as possible goes to M$. I don't know if I would adopt OS X if I could get it on my computer but that's because I'm not use to it at all. I know Windows and I have a feel for it when I network with my friends at a LAN and when I want to get into the guts of it I know what I'm doing where I would have to relearn everything with OS X.

I have spent about 2 hours (all together) at most in my life working on OS X. I like it yes but I'm not use to it and I don't know it. I have spent years of time working with Windows. It would take allot more then just the ability to use it to make me adopt it
November 17, 2006 4:52:57 PM

Quote:

Meh.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2006 4:59:29 PM

So you believe users should plop down 100 bucks every year for an upgrade instead of 200-400 every 6 years... great... I think I'll go out and toss my money on the street while I'm at it...

Now... tell me, why is Windows a halfway adequate system. What about it do you not like? Security, please, Apples has the same number of holes, no one exploits it because no one cares about Apple? Crashes, instability, I can show you plenty of Apple crashes... even BSOD's on Apple machines... Buggy ass hardware, have you even seen the videos of Mac software screwing up at developer forums...

How about their products... need I bring up this website:

http://www.macbookrandomshutdown.com/cases.php

Such quality products, how I want thee... makes me want to go out in the street and shoot myself...

And oh yeah, your a Apple fanboy, big time.
November 17, 2006 5:00:52 PM

Quote:
So you believe users should plop down 100 bucks every year for an upgrade instead of 200-400 every 6 years... great... I think I'll go out and toss my money on the street while I'm at it...

Now... tell me, why is Windows a halfway adequate system. What about it do you not like? Security, please, Apples has the same number of holes, no one exploits it because no one cares about Apple? Crashes, instability, I can show you plenty of Apple crashes... even BSOD's on Apple machines... Buggy ass hardware, have you even seen the videos of Mac software screwing up at developer forums...

Such quality products, how I want thee... makes me want to go out in the street and shoot myself...

And oh yeah, you're a Apple fanboy, big time.

Yeah... that is me... don't know wtf happened here...
November 17, 2006 5:07:54 PM

Quote:

And oh yeah, you're a Apple fanboy, big time.

Yeah... that is me... don't know wtf happened here...

Wow that is crazy I have never seen that before
November 17, 2006 5:09:35 PM

Can you even post without logging in? shrug... then that means.. fanboys can come... and spread FUD without fear of banning...

This world is coming to an end...
November 17, 2006 5:16:14 PM

Imma try to post as anonymous again... still don't know how that happened..

If more than one person does that.. does anonymous posts increase? Is it a real person? What if we try to register as anonymous? Spooky...
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2006 7:09:42 PM

Care to log in next time and post that? Yep. You got me. Apple fanboy big time. Doesn't matter that I have built every single Windows box I have ever owned. It doesn't matter that I spend at least 8-10 hours each day programing in Windows and Linux, does it?

It doesn't even matter that this MacBook Pro I am currently typing this on is running Ubuntu, Windows XP, Vista AND OS X (Parallels Workstation)? And is set up to boot into Windows XP on another partition? And which Dell, HP, or Gateway machine can you do this with?

I'm more OS agnostic than most people I know. I have met some Apple zealots that make my feet curl. In the same boat, I've met some diehard M$ apologists who should be on their payroll. I personally have to work in all of those environments, if for nothing else than to test code that I've compiled.

Besides, if the only reason you run Windows is to play games, says a whole lot for the operating system, doesn't it?
November 17, 2006 7:36:59 PM

Quote:

I don't care for my self since I probably wont be getting an AMD CPU or a Mac any time soon. But it might just help AMD stay in the game and get the cash thats need to help them build a better CPU. Now thats something that I want!

But until AMD can make a CPU that is at least = to if not better then Intel's CPU, I guess I will have to buy from Intel for my next computer. But that might take a while and if AMD can get something worth buying out there I will. Just because I root for the underdog doesn't mean I'm stupid :p 

With X2 having an average of 85 fps in EVERY game, what more do you want? Bragging rights?

That's like saying that if.... no no more Porsche/Ferrari comparisons. You guys are the definition of fairweather friends.
November 17, 2006 7:39:04 PM

Quote:
With X2 having an average of 85 fps in EVERY game, what more do you want? Bragging rights?

Yeah, right. Try next generation games.
November 17, 2006 7:50:15 PM

Quote:

That's like saying that if.... no no more Porsche/Ferrari comparisons. You guys are the definition of fairweather friends.

Now you are being stupid! Why would I pay the same amount for less proformance? Just because it does good in games now that doesn't mean it will be good enough in the futur. I want the best I can get for my money.

I can get a X2 3800+ or I can get a E6300 for 11$ more and the E6300 kicks the crap out out of the X2 3800+. And the E6300 can be OC to 3.2 easy the X2 cant OC even close to that much.

So yes I want something better from AMD not something second rate for the same basic price.
November 17, 2006 8:09:45 PM

Quote:

Oh and one more thing on that Yes I am a fair weather CONSUMER I buy what has the best price to performance.

and what does "That's like saying that if.... no no more porshe/ferrari comparisons" mean anyways. I am so confused by you.

Also I like to keep my computers up and running as long as possible with out upgrading. I still have my computer that I built 4 years ago and its my main computer in my house (the best computer I own (I have another AMD 1800+ with a geforce 4 4200, My 2400+ has the R 9700, by the way) and its an AMD and I love it. But its getting really old now and can barely play the games that come out now. I would want to do the same with a computer that I would build now! Why is it a bad thing to think ahead? I don't want to upgrade every month or every 6 months or every year for that fact I like to upgrade once my computer cant play the games I want it to.

In closing BM why should I get a lower preforming CPU for the basic same price (11$ difference with the low end) that won't OC as well? I am an OCer I love that the C2D have the ability to OC like a Mofo and that will allow me to get more life out of the CPU.
November 17, 2006 8:46:08 PM

To you I proclaim a the illustrious double meh. Enjoy it.
November 17, 2006 8:58:18 PM

Quote:
To you I proclaim a the illustrious double meh. Enjoy it.

Is that even legal in the U.S.?
November 17, 2006 9:00:32 PM

Depends on what state you are in. Its mostly illegal south of the Mason Dixon.
!